stevenschaffer

Ruger Sr1911 navy seal

do a lot of seals really use 1911s these days? 

limited mag capacity, kinda heavy.

is it just for commemorative purposes?

just wondering...

Yeah back in Vietnam as for today no they do not, at least accoring to every recent book I have read written by a Seal. They go with as much firepower in the smallet package many of them carry the military verizion of the USP .40. However LA Swat does or at lease did  work with the 1911 platform.

Lots of PDs carry 1911-45, my township included...Military: lots of the NON-1911 movement was due to ammo considerations/political-correctness/UN-BS, and just easier to train troops to shoot a 9mm. Many special ops/elite-pros prefer the 1911/45...As far as the 1911 being heavy - "Yea"-that is one of the pros of the platform (if you are shooting a meaningfull caliber "mass" is good to help with the recoil)...You can run a quality 10R Wilson or Mcormic mag in a 1911 with very high-reliability - plenty of firepower for a good shooter.

do a lot of seals really use 1911s these days? 

limited mag capacity, kinda heavy.

is it just for commemorative purposes?

just wondering...

1. I don't know about the SEALs, but the Marines placed a $22.5 million order for 1911s with Colt in 2012.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28/marines-pay-22m-to-go-back-to-their-old-guns-colt-45-caliber-pistols/

2a. I have mostly 8-round magazines plus a couple of Chip McCormick 10 round magazines. (My dad carried one with a standard 7 round magazine when he visited Europe in 1944 and 1945, and the limited capacity still must have worked out okay for him, since I'm here.)

2b. The 1911 is heavy, but it's accuracy is legendary. Since it's impossible for me (along with most NJ residents) to CCW, does size/weight really matter? If I were a LEO and needed to lug a pistol around all day, I'd want the lightest one possible -- but I'm not.

3. The Ruger 1911 is a commemorative special edition.

Lots of PDs carry 1911-45, my township included...Military: lots of the NON-1911 movement was due to ammo considerations/political-correctness/UN-BS, and just easier to train troops to shoot a 9mm. Many special ops/elite-pros prefer the 1911/45...As far as the 1911 being heavy - "Yea"-that is one of the pros of the platform (if you are shooting a meaningfull caliber "mass" is good to help with the recoil)...You can run a quality 10R Wilson or Mcormic mag in a 1911 with very high-reliability - plenty of firepower for a good shooter.

OP, PS...Tons, and tons of people carry 1911s. Just go to the 1911 gun forum, which you should do anyway. There is an enormous amount of 1911 knowledge there...Just FYI, 1911 require just a tad more "tinkering" than your average plastic pistol. You have to stay on-top of the spring changes (more than a plastic pistol), and sometimes you have to upgrade to better magazines. This is no big deal, and the rewards are great. It is hard to find a better shooting more accurate pistol than the 1911.

And as far as this particular gun you are looking at - she's a beauty. Just check that it comes with a match-grade barrel. At that price point, I would insist...Sigs, kimbers (and I am sure many others) in that price point have match grade barrels.

What it comes down is to what you are getting for the amount you are spending, in this case you are getting a basic SR1911 with a pretty finish and fancy grips. In my opinion the basic SR1911 isnt all that impressive to start with so if your going to spend 1k get a 1911 that gives you the upgrades that matter on the fireing line and in the reliability dpt and not in the safe queen dpt.