Sign in to follow this  
Tom-NJ2AS

Laminate flooring question

Hey guys. Getting close to floor install. Hopefully this weekend. I have attached a quick sketch of my 1st floor layout. I have never had to install flooring around a room in the middle if a room. What is the best way to make sure as I come around this middle room that the laminate will meet each other correctly. I hope I explained this right. Picture laying the laminate parallel with the long walls and needing the laminate to meet equally when you get on the other side if that bathroom.

ThanksPosted Image

Measure a LOT. 

About 3/4 of the distance from the obstruction start measuring to the obstruction and the far wall - measure every other course, and start adjusting to get square to them. As you go past the obstruction measure each course and tighten or loosen a little to keep them the same. Then they'll meet up on the other side of the obstruction.

I did something very similar when I did the flooring in my bedroom.   Does the picture help?   We went from the far wall and installed to the camera.   The boards on the near side of the stairs had to be ripped to match the ranks on either side.

flooring4.jpg

Start square to the room on a long wall by measuring all the way across the floor to the far wall. Strike a start line just off that wall that the molding will cover. Anchor the first course so it does not move. Begin each row staggering the joints so they do not run together. There is nothing saying the framework for the bathroom is square to the room. It probably in not. When a new course will not fill because it touches the bathroom wall then it will have to be notched to fit. There is a way to do this and describing here will not help, Google is your friend here. When you get to the far side of the bathroom carefully measure from the last row before cutting on the other side and strike a line on the floor. This is your mark to make sure your still square to the room and the notched boards on the far side of the bathroom are done correctly. The gap between the flooring and the bathroom saddle will need to be caulked with a near same color. Continue till you reach the far side and notch to fit again. Molding around the room should cover the gap between the wall and the flooring and around the walls of the bathroom. You need that space so the floor can "float". It will expand and contract and this is the reason for the gap. Two things either the flooring has it's own padding or you lay down roll padding first. Helps to keep the floor level. Level is important and the flooring will buckle it the subfloor is not within 1/8" over one running foot. Second, because it is a kitchen floor see what the manufacturer recommends about seam sealing the joints as you go. Wet will work its way into the joints, cause its a kitchen poop happens, and distort the edge as well as let moisture through to compromise the laminate. Good luck on the project. Hope this helps.

Depending on laminate plank size. Calculate cuts at walls or termination points to other flooring so that you will not end up having to make a cut lof less than approx. half of a planks total lengh or width. Start your first run along the longest wall of the kitchen and dinning room. I believe you will need to use a vapor barrier if it is going to be installed over concrete.

We didn't start until after 12 on Sunday but got a good amount done. We are as square this old house will ever let us be. So far so good. I'll keep you updated. Spent the first couple hours of the morning hanging the over the range microwave. It will save a lot of space

Posted Image

Posted Image