olderguy

Home Carry

I carry at home. I have small one's so trying to hide weapons is not an option in the home.

I carry iwb with a alien gear holster and love it. I have no ccw License in jersey so it's the only carry right this state allows me to have.

On another note, being that I carry at home with no ccw license if I have to go the store or leave the property for any reason is there any problems with un-holstering my pistol locking it up in the safe leaving the empty holster on my person and say going to shop rite to get eggs or milk. Are there any laws saying i can not carry my empty iwb holster around off my property?

any problems with un-holstering my pistol locking it up in the safe leaving the empty holster on my person and say going to shop rite to get eggs or milk. Are there any laws saying i can not carry my empty iwb holster around off my property?

I hope not, because I do it all the time.  But leave it to PRNJ to come up with something......

I don't carry at home my house is about 2000 sq feet and I own so many guns they are in every room of my house except bath rooms. (No kids) my safe is full and another glass door gun cabinet full, under the beds in both guest rooms and closets,under my bed at the side of my bed I have a gun pocket between the matress and box spring with a Glock condition 3. every linen closet and some out in the garage also. I live in a town with a very low burglary rate in Sussex county. Im never very far from a firearm on my property and unless met by a firearm I probably wouldn't use one, I prefer a knife witch I always have on me home or out unless i'm in the shower. And I'm trained to use effectivly & efficiently. I couldn't imagine the mess killing someone in my house would make. If I were to pull a gun on an intruder chances are I would march him into the bathtub and hold the individual at gun point until the cops eventually show. If i had to kill the guy at that point at least it would be easy to clean up.

I own guns because I love to hunt and I love to shoot, and I just love guns. Im not big on the idea of killing anyone unless I had no other choice. If it came to the me or the intruder I wouldn't hesitate for a second but I would hope for a different outcome. I'm actually more afraid of a 700lb black bear breaking into my back door than a person, its happened in my neighborhood before.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I don't carry.. I keep my 9mm upstairs in condition 0 by my bed (no kids - just a 2 month old infant so this will change very soon) and then a side by side shotgun downstairs with me hidden behind furniture - condition 1... so either way both firearms are in relative close reach.

If I were to pull a gun on an intruder chances are I would march him into the bathtub and hold the individual at gun point until the cops eventually show.

Is your bathtub big enough for multiple attackers? In such a situation it is likely that there would be more than just one.

Last night once again I heard shots (3). I didn't hear about any incidences this a.m., so it was probably some poachers lighting deer from their truck, but nonetheless I picked up my AR from behind the couch and kept it on my lap the rest of the night.

I would have done the same, way to be prepared

We have no kids at home but we're still cautious about leaving a lot of stuff out.

Having said that we have a permanent hot 20 ga semi-auto in our bedroom and a 12 ga pump in our "go-to" room near the kitchen.

We almost always have a handgun out at night within easy reach. When I'm out my wife always has her 686 with her around the house.

Outside I sometimes drop a Chief's Special in a pocket or put it IWB, but I don't always do that. We did have one outdoor mugging near us this year but it was in an apartment complex and I don't think those guys stray too far.

We also have two Jindos that, except when out back doing their laundry, are by our sides in the house and bark at any odd noise they hear.

Is your bathtub big enough for multiple attackers? In such a situation it is likely that there would be more than just one.

nope in that situation they are all recipients of multiple shots center mass I'm not playing that game. I guess serve pro gets a job out of the deal, as well as the hard wood floor guy.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I do not carry in home but just about everywhere outside of it including when going to the gym. My carry guns are always easily accessible in my condo (gated community) several others in easy reach and a sub 2000, 40 condition 3 with 22 round mag very easily accessible. I do live alone, so no worries about children.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I do not carry in home but just about everywhere outside of it including when going to the gym. My carry guns are always easily accessible in my condo (gated community) several others in easy reach and a sub 2000, 40 condition 3 with 22 round mag very easily accessible. I do live alone, so no worries about children.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

well happy florida to you sir, sounds like you ready to roll hahah. Id love to carry EVERYWHERE but this state is full of **** ass legislation. Don;t know how i'd do with gym carry in gym shorts and a sleevless, how do you manage that?

i leave my semi auto on condition 3 in my bedroom because i have a shottie chambered with just the safety on..  snubbie is always condition 0 (by default, as there is no safety and its DA only) and the semi auto upstairs in the spare BR is also at condition 3.. 

i dont carry at home (my place isnt that big), but like thug said, if we hear something that even remotely sounds like a gunshot or even a noise outside, we immediately get one of them ready (usually the snubbie since that's the "living room gun")..    i would like to get a holster though, at least for the snubbie to start to practice with it..  i have no carry experience at all

Buy if it always in the same place you don't have to worry either.

I have handgun in a concealed lock box on every floor and a shotgun for the overnights.

Sure it might not be in the best place for all imaginable scenarios, but when they live in the same place forever there is still a surprise element for those that don't know where they are. I know home invaders like to rush, but unless they stack up like spec ops I still know my limits of time and action against other humans bent on aggression.

Plus, with the wife around, there is good reason to think we could get two firearms out ICOE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This seems reasonable. I've begun carrying at home, as a prelude to feeling comfortable carrying outside the house (out of state, of course).

You need to get your significant other on board, however. That's been difficult for me. 

We have no kids at home but we're still cautious about leaving a lot of stuff out.

Having said that we have a permanent hot 20 ga semi-auto in our bedroom and a 12 ga pump in our "go-to" room near the kitchen.

We almost always have a handgun out at night within easy reach. When I'm out my wife always has her 686 with her around the house.

Outside I sometimes drop a Chief's Special in a pocket or put it IWB, but I don't always do that. We did have one outdoor mugging near us this year but it was in an apartment complex and I don't think those guys stray too far.

We also have two Jindos that, except when out back doing their laundry, are by our sides in the house and bark at any odd noise they hear.

So, if you decide to answer the door, you are unarmed.

Correct?

So, if you decide to answer the door, you are unarmed.

Correct?

Who is answering the door? They can ring the bell for the few seconds it takes me to grab something while the dogs scream their heads off. At night when we're there hanging out the pistol is in my hand. I wouldn't call that "unarmed".

Who is answering the door? They can ring the bell for the few seconds it takes me to grab something while the dogs scream their heads off. At night when we're there hanging out the pistol is in my hand. I wouldn't call that "unarmed".

Most people don't have your balls. Answering the door with a gun in your hand is pretty confrontational. Then, if you decide to go outside, it becomes even more confrontational. Now, this clearly doesn't bother you, but I think most people would have to admit that they are not always going to have a gun in their hand answering the door or going outside afterwards if they are honest with themselves. Unless they actually carry at home. And, I think most people would have to admit that there are situations where they will answer the door and will go outside afterwards if they are honest with themselves.

Most people don't have your balls. Answering the door with a gun in your hand is pretty confrontational. Then, if you decide to go outside, it becomes even more confrontational. Now, this clearly doesn't bother you, but I think most people would have to admit that they are not always going to have a gun in their hand answering the door or going outside afterwards if they are honest with themselves. Unless they actually carry at home. And, I think most people would have to admit that there are situations where they will answer the door and will go outside afterwards if they are honest with themselves.

Another reason to CCW around the house; so you can walk outside.  Not recommended in a condo in PRNJ.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this...I don't swing open the door with a 12 gauge in my hand. We have nooks and crannies within reach of the door and there is something within reach if I need it. We can also see through the front door, so we have an idea who it is and I won't be opening the door on a cop with a 357 in plain view. Not to say it might not be behind my back.

Plus, the dogs are intimidating and they don't like it when I get anxious. They would go through the door first.

There's no need for you to breach the safety of your own home at night, and going outside is a gamble at best, outright dumb if you don't know exactly what's going on. Never leave a safe place for a possibly unsafe place unless you are forced to. Everyone takes risks now and then, but unless someone I don't know is showing a weapon or shooting to get through the door, I'm content to stay INSIDE, let them break something if they like, and wait for the police. If they try to get fancy, they will get sad very quickly.

It's not that I would be confrontational and certainly wouldn't show a weapon outright unless there were some serious circumstances. Confrontation does concern me, and I'm not looking for it, it's just that I try to be prepared because I"m not going to entertain confrontation either. 

Plus, most times at home I have a pistol in my back pocket. I just like it.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this...I don't swing open the door with a 12 gauge in my hand. We have nooks and crannies within reach of the door and there is something within reach if I need it. We can also see through the front door, so we have an idea who it is and I won't be opening the door on a cop with a 357 in plain view. Not to say it might not be behind my back.

It wasn't meant for you, it was meant for discussion. I pointed out most people other than you are not always going to be armed when answering the door unless they are carrying. And having something in reach is BS and worthless. You are fooling yourself.

There's no need for you to breach the safety of your own home at night, and going outside is a gamble at best, outright dumb if you don't know exactly what's going on. Never leave a safe place for a possibly unsafe place unless you are forced to. Everyone takes risks now and then, but unless someone I don't know is showing a weapon or shooting to get through the door, I'm content to stay INSIDE, let them break something if they like, and wait for the police. If they try to get fancy, they will get sad very quickly.

OK, now we are definitely back to you, and not just the discussion in general.

Who said "at night?" And you know "what is going on" how exactly? Every time I leave my house I have no idea what is going on, that's why I carry. I don't have a routine of leaving the gun at home unless I am going to a "drug deal." If I knew there was trouble, I wouldn't have to carry. I'd stay home with a shotgun in my lap.

But you know when there is trouble and call the cops.

Answer these two questions:

1. Do you answer your door with a gun 100% of the time?

2. Are there any circumstances under which you would answer the door and leave your house without a gun?

If you answer Yes to #1, and No to #2, and you don't carry, then you are lying. Plain and simple.

There's no need for you to breach the safety of your own home at night, and going outside is a gamble at best, outright dumb if you don't know exactly what's going on.

Seems to me you feel you know the exact circumstances under which something bad might happen. It never happens unexpectedly, of course. You are starting to remind me of the people that say, "Why would you need a gun at a playground?"

If you don't want to carry at home that's fine. I think it's a reasonable decision. Just don't bullshit yourself. When this subject comes up, I think it is important that people discuss it based on realistic scenarios since they are reading this and contributing to come to their own decisions.

If you think you will always know trouble is afoot, then yeah, leave your door shut and grab a shotgun.

Life doesn't work like that. And, worse, that's not usually how bad things happen.

Of course I don't always have a gun...this is new jersey and I can't legally carry so I don't.

I'm not telling anyone what to do or that they should be like me or that they should give a flying rat's ass what I think about anything.

No, I don't know "what's going on" all the time. No one knows everything, especially me...I get surprised by something about every five minutes. Yes I go out without a gun...every time I'm leaving my property. But I don't like it.

Frankly I don't even understand your last post. What do you mean by "Just don't be yourself"? I thought a number of people were writing about how much or IF they carry at home. Maybe I missed the whole point of the thread, so again, why would anyone give a crap what I think about it, especially if I'm so far off base?