dtown223

Huge -1 to Cherry Ridge

I have renewed every year since I started shooting again and have used the range to introduce many others to shooting.

It HAS changed, probably due to the influx of new, undisciplined shooters, and I can understand the RO's getting frustrated.

Unless you are VERY regular, they do not know the experienced shooters from the amateurs and shouldn't be expected to do so.

After not being there on a crowded day for a long time, I was yelled at for starting to walk before the horn stopped sounding on a target change.  I was aggrevated, but accepted that this was the way the RO was instructed.  Now I wait another 2 seconds.

To repost my earlier comment;  "I miss Jim"  It was completely different in those days.

If there are a lot of people new to the sport going there, and safety seems to be something of an issue at the place, do they have a new member shoot/walk-through/orientation? Sounds childish I suppose, but having everyone go through at least one evolution with an RO in the beginning would solve some of these problems before they got bigger and required yelling. A ton of people are coming to the sport today having no previous experience, not having the importance of safety drilled into them by their father/grandfather or the military. So, while a class like this might not have been necessary in the 70s or 80s, seems like it definitely is today.

I am looking for a good outdoor range to join in NJ, and this one seems to have the best price/location combo for me. I wouldn't be put off at having to pay a little bit more to attend a required hands-on safety class.

joined in 1989.has been quite a few ros there.jim was off kilter many times,and couldn't control his yelling at adults.i liked him and visaversa.but he didn't clean up the tree debris behind the 300 yd range and after decades of leaves/branches had a fire he blamed the fifty bmg.that made us who do enjoy .50 scapegoats in my .02....gene and scott are good people,i think there is a learning curve for new ros'...they think they own the place when they get the job and mellow out in a few months .I don't like to bash cr but $175 for a renewal along with electronic gates/cameras/signs to not eat/drink....hoggin the rubbish brass,no wonder my shootin buddy didn't renew.keep it up,more will follow out.

I've been a member for about 20 and a lifer. I was corrected 2 times since I started going and both times I should have and thanked the RO for correcting me. It's great to see new people get into the sport and don't mind the ROs being over cautious for the sake of safety.

I've been a member for about 20 and a lifer. I was corrected 2 times since I started going and both times I should have and thanked the RO for correcting me. It's great to see new people get into the sport and don't mind the ROs being over cautious for the sake of safety.

being over cautious and being a total asshole that deserves a trip to the dentist from the fist most of them deserve to the mouth, are too different things. I'll stick with a real range with nice people that are extremely safety concious and treat customers/members like humans such as RTSP. After having been to both ranges I feel sorry for the members of CR, they don't know what they're missing. Other than the longer distance range CR has nothing on RTSP. Their range at CR is nice but the people that run the place deserve cancer and slow deaths.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

being over cautious and being a total asshole that deserves a trip to the dentist from the fist most of them deserve to the mouth, are too different things. I'll stick with a real range with nice people that are extremely safety concious and treat customers/members like humans such as RTSP. After having been to both ranges I feel sorry for the members of CR, they don't know what they're missing. Other than the longer distance range CR has nothing on RTSP. Their range at CR is nice but the people that run the place deserve cancer and slow deaths. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

You make your argument in such a credible fashion!

I really like Cherry Ridge. I have been a member for over 10 years. Never had an issue with any of the range officers there. I shoot there at least once a week. There are rules at this range and as a member I abide by them. Maybe they are overboard with the safety but its not my range.

When I open my my own outdoor range to the public then I can make my own rules.

You make your argument in such a credible fashion!

just being real, I could be more politicaly correct for you. But I would prefer to just be honest. IMO CR sucks! Don't take my word for it if you don't want to. I know my range experience is much better at RTSP. You wouldn't know because you are at Cherry Ridge, if your happy with the Douche bags that work there then stay. I refuse to pay money to be treated like shit when I know perfectly well I'm being safe in my practices. I'm not a first time shooter I don't allow my own mother to speak to me the way they talk or should I say scream at people. If that place works for you great. But I'm not wearing a t shirt that says: cherry Ridge RSO doormat sorry I'm not playing their games. I'll shoot with adults instead.

just being real, I could be more politicaly correct for you. But I would prefer to just be honest. IMO CR sucks! Don't take my word for it if you don't want to. I know my range experience is much better at RTSP. You wouldn't know because you are at Cherry Ridge, if your happy with the Douche bags that work there then stay. I refuse to pay money to be treated like shit when I know perfectly well I'm being safe in my practices. I'm not a first time shooter I don't allow my own mother to speak to me the way they talk or should I say scream at people. If that place works for you great. But I'm not wearing a t shirt that says: cherry Ridge RSO doormat sorry I'm not playing their games. I'll shoot with adults instead. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

No Problem!  Go pay those kind of prices for a little ambiance.

Really?.....

What an asshole thing to say.....   I pray to God you never have a family member or someone YOU love go through that........

What a flipping dope..........no wonder your on someones radar..........

Also look at the disdain you have for your own mother....wow....

Thank you Nick!   Correct a mundo!

No Problem! Go pay those kind of prices for a little ambiance.

totally worth the money $475 for a full membership with rifle is fine with me. Less if your military, former military, or Leo. 12 trips is the same price as a membership. I go more than once a month and you get a lot more than CR can begin to offer.

I guess the alternative is spend half that amount to be treated like dog crap.

Really?.....

What an asshole thing to say..... I pray to God you never have a family member or someone YOU love go through that........

First I never treated any of the staff of CR with any disrespect ever! Even after they screamed at me because I layed the flag on top of my gun action that was open and had no magazine in laying down action up with no one touching it or standing near it. Instead of fully inserting it into the barrel completely. Ridiculous rule anyway. Most ranges ive been to the rule is no one near a bench or port while anyone is on the range period. The flag isn't going to do anything to stop an accident. They are just jerks to people in the name of "safety"? Please... thats no excuse to treat people badly. I never even argued back with the guy or said anything to him. Ten years ago I probably would have just dropped the fat slob on the spot. Luckily for him I'm not that guy anymore. Definitely not worth the trouble. I simply said "ok" packed my stuff into my range bag and left. Its a real shame too its actually a pretty nice range. And I'm a guy that has no problem spending thousands of dollars on shooting every year. What makes it the worst range I've ever been to is the staff.

Second I never ever in my lifetime have ever treated or spoke to my mother the way the staff of CR treats their members, nor would I ever think about treating her that way. Basically in my experience at that place it seems like they really don't give a crap about anyone that shoots there. The staff is on some kind of huge ego trip and has complete disregard for others. they use the excuse of "its for your safety" to scream at grown men and women that are paying money to use the place? If I ever spoke to one of my customers in that manner and then told them it was for their own safety I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have them very long. I just refuse to pay money to be some jerks verbal punching bag. How you could turn that into disdain for my mother is beyond me my friend.

Again if you enjoy being a member there great. I just refuse to even be associated with the likes of the people who work at the place. As far as wishing cancer on them, ok thats probably a little harsh. I actually take that statement back. But if I were a member of CR I would be embarrassed to tell anyone, I know for a fact I'm not the only guy that dislikes the RSO's methods of communication with fellow humans.

I don't disagree you are upset. All these years, I was upset twice. One was a fooking member that wouldn't leave me alone when I was freezing my ballz off shooting. After giving him 3 warnings, I sent him packing or receive my foot. The 2nd, (I mentioned above somewhere), was with an ancient RO... I gave him the benefit of a doubt of being old and possibly having a bad day. I give everyone that benefit.... once! It won't happen again.

It amazes me how so many don't look outside the box for the price of a membership. I won't give up so easily because I love the property. Yea, some rules are old and dumb, but I just deal with them because shooting is the main reason I go... Everything else is secondary. I'm not the oldest but not young either. But the older I get, the more I value things. Too many take things for granted.

It's been said before. Most may not know you or anyone else. Quite frankly, a Sunday seminar is not good enough. Because any dumass can sit through it and yes, there are plenty dumb fookers that own guns. That alone scares me. Especially when you see who shows up at the sit downs. A scary 400 lb guy in pink pajamas, tank top T-shirt and sandals comes to mind. I shiet you not! I had nightmares for weeks! Unless you get to be known there or are a regular, you stand to face this on occasion. Just deal with it. OR, if someone starts yelling, depending on the subject matter, pull the person aside and give them a warning. Do it again and suffer the consequences.

In the end, we ARE all adults for the most part. Some meek, self centered, immature, old and stubborn, young and stubborn, over bearing, etc. The hard part is trying to accept what's around you. It's your membership. You pay for it. State your case to the board or person themselves. But all the pissing here gets nothing fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

First I never treated any of the staff of CR with any disrespect ever! Even after they screamed at me because I layed the flag on top of my gun action that was open and had no magazine in laying down action up with no one touching it or standing near it. Instead of fully inserting it into the barrel completely. Ridiculous rule anyway. Most ranges ive been to the rule is no one near a bench or port while anyone is on the range period. The flag isn't going to do anything to stop an accident. They are just jerks to people in the name of "safety"? Please... thats no excuse to treat people badly. I never even argued back with the guy or said anything to him. Ten years ago I probably would have just dropped the fat slob on the spot. Luckily for him I'm not that guy anymore. Definitely not worth the trouble. I simply said "ok" packed my stuff into my range bag and left. Its a real shame too its actually a pretty nice range. And I'm a guy that has no problem spending thousands of dollars on shooting every year. What makes it the worst range I've ever been to is the staff. Second I never ever in my lifetime have ever treated or spoke to my mother the way the staff of CR treats their members, nor would I ever think about treating her that way. Basically in my experience at that place it seems like they really don't give a crap about anyone that shoots there. The staff is on some kind of huge ego trip and has complete disregard for others. they use the excuse of "its for your safety" to scream at grown men and women that are paying money to use the place? If I ever spoke to one of my customers in that manner and then told them it was for their own safety I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have them very long. I just refuse to pay money to be some jerks verbal punching bag. How you could turn that into disdain for my mother is beyond me my friend. Again if you enjoy being a member there great. I just refuse to even be associated with the likes of the people who work at the place. As far as wishing cancer on them, ok thats probably a little harsh. I actually take that statement back. But if I were a member of CR I would be embarrassed to tell anyone, I know for a fact I'm not the only guy that dislikes the RSO's methods of communication with fellow humans. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

You seem like a real friendly fellow.

You seem like a real friendly fellow.

I like to think I am. I have nothing against fellow shooters who go to CR, I just prefer not to deal with their staff they're unprofessional IMO. Again just my opinion you don't have to agree with it. I'm not an unfriendly person actually pretty out going, I try to go out of my way to help others in my daily life.

Yeah well everyone that "got yelled at" today didn't get yelled at. They were nicely asked not to do something that they shouldn't be doing. If you feel you were "yelled at" you probably were doing something you shouldn't have been. Didn't you listen at the safety briefing, or were you someone's guest? If you were a guest; 1. Shame on the member you were with for not correcting you. 2. Their house, their rules.

I don't want to leave with any more holes than I came with. If you think you're above placing a chamber flag in an empty gun please don't come back. Ever. Your lazy asshat attitude is usually the beginning step of a firearm accident. They have never had an accident there, and as anal as they are about some things, you cannot argue with their track record.

True not my range. I think a better approach to safety is separate the person from the gun completely. That the only real way to prevent an accidental discharge. The flag isn't going to stop that from happening. Flags don't make me feel safer. A visibly open action is fine at almost every range. Body's separated from the guns is even better. Speaking to people gets results, screaming gets you hostility. Or in my case someone who will never return.

I'm there pretty much every week for last few months. Love the place. 
Haven't seen ROs yell at anyone. I guess it depends on how bad one screws up. Twice have seen people were sent packing. 

Last week a kid at 300y left a loaded rifle and went to get coffee/use restroom... Thanks RO for sending him packing. Was it  a big deal at that moment? Not really, but if one doesn't understand concept of safety to that extend - he shouldn't be there. 

I don't know, maybe it's on RO's work description to detect certain personalities and make them feel unwelcome until they learn the rules... If that's the case - fine by me. And thanks for keeping certain personalities out. 

Really?.....

What an asshole thing to say.....   I pray to God you never have a family member or someone YOU love go through that........

:ok: Excellent post Mr. Nick, even if it's isn't via 10 meters, lol!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I guess I'm not the only one to notice that it's usually the Problem Children who don't like to be corrected....

Just because EVERYBODY can legally own a gun (if they're not a prohibited person), doesn't mean they SHOULD.  Bad attitudes about simple safety procedures leads to a slippery slope and eventual NG's!

I spoke nicely to a couple members of my local club today about simple things they could do better to be "more safe".  They took it like men instead of Crybaby-Pussies.  I'm beginning to think the "kids" of today as so used to complaining from a keyboard that it just becomes "second nature" to blow-off steam on places like this instead of "manning-up".  There are a few exceptions to this rule, and I have made several friends all over the State, so if you look carefully you can still find younger shooters who do the right things!  And some of these younger shooters would make excellent RSO's IMHO!

Dave 

NRA CRSO

Shootist

Yeah well everyone that "got yelled at" today didn't get yelled at. They were nicely asked not to do something that they shouldn't be doing. If you feel you were "yelled at" you probably were doing something you shouldn't have been. Didn't you listen at the safety briefing, or were you someone's guest? If you were a guest; 1. Shame on the member you were with for not correcting you. 2. Their house, their rules.

I don't want to leave with any more holes than I came with. If you think you're above placing a chamber flag in an empty gun please don't come back. Ever. Your lazy asshat attitude is usually the beginning step of a firearm accident. They have never had an accident there, and as anal as they are about some things, you cannot argue with their track record.

correct I was visiting as a guest of a member. I never handled my firearm in an unsafe manner not rapid firing, no muzzle sweeping, or leaving it loaded and unattended. I would never do that. Had I done so I would expect to be corrected HARSHLY it would have been well deserved. This guys problem with me was I had not fully inserted the flag it was laying in the open action. The person I was with didn't explain how serious they RSO's were about that rule. But instead of just saying "hey pal we push that flag all the way into the barrel here, please don't leave your firearm like that again" he got in my face, literary within two inches of my face and screamed at me. I never said a word to him before during or after his rant. It was more than I felt was warranted. No one had to send me packing I sent myself. If you all say its not that way there any longer and everyone treats eachother with respect especially on gun safety, I would be willing to give the place another try. Its been a few years since I had that incident there. I really liked the place. And I would never endanger another shooters well being ever. If I did ever go back I would put 3 flags into my gun lol.

There is the ANJRPC as a statewide political advocacy organization, and there's the Cherry Ridge Range which operates as a shooting club for people within roughly an hour's drive - basically the north third of the state. 

The problem here is that the Cherry Ridge Range and the ANJRPC are run by the same organization.

If the Cherry Ridge Range was its own club, and elected leadership by vote of club members only, and not ANJRPC members throughout the state, then members would have a full say in how the club is run and things would change pretty quick. 

Instead as things currently are, ANJRPC runs Cherry Ridge Range.  Probably only 1/3 of the members of the ANJRPC are even close enough to use the Cherry Ridge Range, and of those probably less than half actually pay for range privileges. 

As far as I know, range members don't get to vote on how the range is run, the range is run by the ANJRPC itself, whose membership mostly consists of people who don't live near the range and don't use it.  Which means there is no accoutability.  The range officers could be completely mean to everyone, and it doesn't matter because only a small fraction of ANJRPC members are actually members of the Cherry Ridge Range and in a position to make range management an issue during elections of ANJRPC directors.  Complaints about how the range work don't really matter when probably only one out of ever six voting members of the organization use the range.  Probably even less than that.

Thus, the Cherry Ridge Range is essentially run by non-members.  If you are a member of the Cherry Ridge Range, your vote on how the range operates, who is put in charge of it, is drowned out by probably at least five votes of other ANJRPC members who don't use the range and don't care one bit about how it is run.

There is a fundamental problem in the way that the range is managed - if the people running the range were elected solely by the membership of the range (as opposed to appointed by the board that runs the ANJRPC) then the range would be run of, by and for range members - just like the other ranges such as Central Jersey, Easton Fish and Game, etc.

With such a disconnect between range membership by locals (within one hour of the range) and overall control of the range by the ANJRPC (run by statewide election of board of directors), there is no way that range members have any real say in how the range is run, and that is the ultimate reason why the range can be run so poorly and nothing changes.

correct I was visiting as a guest of a member. I never handled my firearm in an unsafe manner not rapid firing, no muzzle sweeping, or leaving it loaded and unattended. I would never do that. Had I done so I would expect to be corrected HARSHLY it would have been well deserved. This guys problem with me was I had not fully inserted the flag it was laying in the open action. The person I was with didn't explain how serious they RSO's were about that rule. But instead of just saying "hey pal we push that flag all the way into the barrel here, please don't leave your firearm like that again" he got in my face, literary within two inches of my face and screamed at me. I never said a word to him before during or after his rant. It was more than I felt was warranted. No one had to send me packing I sent myself. If you all say its not that way there any longer and everyone treats eachother with respect especially on gun safety, I would be willing to give the place another try. Its been a few years since I had that incident there. I really liked the place. And I would never endanger another shooters well being ever. If I did ever go back I would put 3 flags into my gun lol. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

The RSOs at Cherry Ridge are top-notch. I know most of them. Even the few that are not-too-friendly are reasonable and professional.

I've seen all kinds of crap there, which the SOs have handled perfectly in my opinion.

I've never been busted for something as trivial as not inserting a flag **far enough**. Egads. I often forget to wear my badge. Never a word (although I qualify as a regular). This sounds like a Hoboken Miracle to me.

On a very, very cold morning 2 months ago I committed one of the stupidest infractions you can imagine. I was the only person on the handgun range and stepped over the line to retrieve something that had blown off my table, without deactivating the line. I checked, but I wasn't thinking.

Not sure how he saw me, but somebody called out over the loudspeaker. I should have been kicked out for the day (for the month!) but wasn't. 

There is the ANJRPC as a statewide political advocacy organization, and there's the Cherry Ridge Range which operates as a shooting club for people within roughly an hour's drive - basically the north third of the state. 

The problem here is that the Cherry Ridge Range and the ANJRPC are run by the same organization.

If the Cherry Ridge Range was its own club, and elected leadership by vote of club members only, and not ANJRPC members throughout the state, then members would have a full say in how the club is run and things would change pretty quick. 

Instead as things currently are, ANJRPC runs Cherry Ridge Range.  Probably only 1/3 of the members of the ANJRPC are even close enough to use the Cherry Ridge Range, and of those probably less than half actually pay for range privileges. 

As far as I know, range members don't get to vote on how the range is run, the range is run by the ANJRPC itself, whose membership mostly consists of people who don't live near the range and don't use it.  Which means there is no accoutability.  The range officers could be completely mean to everyone, and it doesn't matter because only a small fraction of ANJRPC members are actually members of the Cherry Ridge Range and in a position to make range management an issue during elections of ANJRPC directors.  Complaints about how the range work don't really matter when probably only one out of ever six voting members of the organization use the range.  Probably even less than that.

Thus, the Cherry Ridge Range is essentially run by non-members.  If you are a member of the Cherry Ridge Range, your vote on how the range operates, who is put in charge of it, is drowned out by probably at least five votes of other ANJRPC members who don't use the range and don't care one bit about how it is run.

There is a fundamental problem in the way that the range is managed - if the people running the range were elected solely by the membership of the range (as opposed to appointed by the board that runs the ANJRPC) then the range would be run of, by and for range members - just like the other ranges such as Central Jersey, Easton Fish and Game, etc.

With such a disconnect between range membership by locals (within one hour of the range) and overall control of the range by the ANJRPC (run by statewide election of board of directors), there is no way that range members have any real say in how the range is run, and that is the ultimate reason why the range can be run so poorly and nothing changes.

I was also snagged by the work weekend. If I'd been a really good member I would have volunteered to spend my usual range time helping out. Instead I turned around and drove home.

Work weekends are posted online and in the newsletter. They could do a better job -- an email blast perhaps. If I really cared about that I would volunteer to help them with their outreach. CR does not make an incredible amount of money, if it's profitable at all.

CR is one amazing place, an oasis in an ocean of shit-encrusted sand known as New Jersey. The "evil" people who run it do so out of the goodness of their own hearts, for your and my benefit. I consider myself lucky to be a member, and am eternally grateful for the opportunity, at the age of 58, to enjoy shooting as much and as often as my finances allow.

For years I criticized the director of my chess club for not being "responsive." He didn't do this right or that right. At 84, he didn't understand the "modern" game. Then he was forced to retire and I was forced to take over. Harold Darst directed our club for 31 years. I barely lasted 18 months before I threw in the towel. People who get stuff practically for free value it accordingly.

Don't bitch and moan about something until you're willing to do something, yourself, about it.