Sign in to follow this  
Scott204

Fish tank

Well my 3 year old is obsessed with fish tanks, whenever we see one he runs up and stares, so for Christmas (I know its early) my wife and I are going to get him one. I have had tanks in the past so I am experienced my questions are the following. I am considering going with salt water, which I have never done before, how hard is it? Is there a good place, local to Toms River to buy all the supplies? (I no longer have a tank, filter, hood etc. so I have to buy all these things again) And If I go fresh water what are some colorful fish? (what my wife is requesting, I always had red bellied piranhas). I am looking to go no larger than 30 gal.

DO NOT GET A SALTWATER TANK FOR YOUR 3 YEAR OLD.  Especially if you are looking for a smaller tank like 30 gallons.  It is VERY hard to keep the salinity and temp regulated properly in that small of a tank..  For saltwater, I personally would not go less than 55 gallons, and most likely larger.  Easier to take care of..

There are plenty of fairly colorful freshwater fish, but they will never match saltwater colors..   Lots of Tetras (Neons, Cardinals, Rummynose, Lemon, etc) are colorful..  There are also colorful Cichlids, but those have a tendency to be a bit more aggressive.  (territorial)..   Seriously though, no joke about the saltwater tank being that small.  It is more expensive to set up, the fish are way more money and its hard to keep it regulated..  Freshwater takes a LOT less effort..  (note, i have had tanks my whole life)..  you can set up a tank that is colorful in itself (gravel, plants, accessories, etc) with some schools of fish..  it makes the fish look more colorful