Celraysoda

Dog cancer advice

Just a caution, I may get graphic with the description.

Well, after having a mast cell tumor removed from the side of my 8 year old Pug, Schmutz, he now has three more in its place along with about 9 smaller bumps under his skin. All within a year. He is still lively, loves food and treats, runs into the woods, barks at birds, etc.

Vet says It's a very good chance it is systemic mast cell disease and his quality of life may soon deteriorate. Its going to be very hard when this time comes as Schmutz has been one of the most loving, loyal, intelligent, charasmatic dogs I have ever met.

He has two types of lumps...one larger mass that floats under the skin and harder little lumps almost on top of the skin. The harder ones resemble large pimples. A few burst, scabbed up and pretty much dissapeared and others just stay there. Vet aspirated both types this evening and will soon have the results...probably Friday.

I'm not a fan of the whole medical industry as they see people as revenue and we are worth more sick than healthy. I have a strong belief that the majority of medications merely manage your illness, never cure it. Maybe I watch too many documentaries on Netflix...lol. The vetinary industry is no better. It is a gold mine as there is little to no involvement from insurance companies and people pay cash for visits, procedures and prescriptions. I rarely encounter individuals that display sincere concern for a pets health. They make you wait 45 minutes in the exam room and before you get 5 feet after the appointment, the bill is already waiting for you at the counter.

Before considering chemotherapy, we are looking into natural holistic alternatives as there is no indication yet that the cancer is anywhere else such as the spleen or bone.

I've done quite a bit of research and see diet changes, plant extracts, stuff like that. Even a certain extract from a "controversial" plant that supposedly works wonders.

Any advice or first hand experience from anyone who went through this would be appreciated. Even a referral to a holistic vet would be great.

Thanks.

I have Boxers, which are prone to tumors. When a dog is 8+. Holistic approach, Yes! Chemo, NO! the dog could live another 6 months or 2 years with a change in diet. You know when a dog is suffering don't prolong it. I have been there many times. Good Luck. What I usually do is get another dog.

I agree no chemo. It's horrible and painful for the dog. Let him enjoy life until he passes from the cancer or has pain that can't be managed.

Unless I had a puppy or very young dog who has long life ahead I would never go the chemo route

This is a tough subject and I'm trying to refrain from posting as it breaks my heart to hear anything like this. As a lover of animals, (more than I love humans), I had to make decisions similar. I spent literally 100's to 1000's of dollars trying to save one of my parrots from uterine cancer. It broke my heart that the best thing was to put her down as to not let her suffer. The money spent was just on tests alone!
My mom just had her Pug put down and it broke my heart. But I could not see the poor dog suffering through anything just to prolong the inevitable just for our selfish ways. In both these cases, letting them live out their life was just wrong.

In your case, seeing your little friend bouncing along as nothing has happened is often quite normal. We've had many pets, especially dogs in our life time. Now more than ever, it seems they have evolved to almost being human sometimes.

This makes it even more of a burden on our hearts to think we must leave a loved one go. What I meant above about being normal is, quite often, we cannot see an animal's pain. Unlike their human counter parts that do nothing but piss and moan like babies when we have colds, an animal will not show it's pain. It will survive the best it can and do what it takes to survive. We cannot always see or feel their pain because they hide it so well.

I know that my post may be a little off your original post. But if you really feel your little buddy is well enough, try the natural approach. Chemo is hell for any living thing. I wish you luck... I cannot type any more. :(

I feel for you man..... My pit had a bunch of cancerous lumps removed about two years ago. They said they got good margins and he is doing fine. A couple more bumps and spots popped up but nothing major. My American bulldog just went in for her second knee operation two days ago. At three grand a pop, she is an expensive dog now.

My wife works at red bank vet. In the radiation department. I had her read your post. You need to do what is right for you and your buddy. If you decide to go to red bank, let me know, and I will make sure your dog is extra well taken care of. I can't do anything about the bill, but I can make sure your dog is very well taken care of.

Talk with Dr. Chang at American Animal Hospital in Randolph, she and Adam (no longer works there) did a great job with surgery and an experimental plant based treatment on my Husky.  He made it to 15 years old with treatments and surgery for four years.

Enjoy the time you have with your loyal companion, don't make him suffer through chemo.  Try the holistic, and make him comfortable.  The hardest thing to do is the right thing when its time to end his suffering.

this. we just went through it with our elder beagle. As long as his quality of life is good, and hes happy...  Once that starts suffering, you'll have to make the toughest call. 

good luck.

Enjoy the time you have with your loyal companion, don't make him suffer through chemo.  Try the holistic, and make him comfortable.  The hardest thing to do is the right thing when its time to end his suffering.

Anything that makes a dog unable to act like a dog isn't going to make either one of you happy for long. Good luck.Hope you find the right treatment .

Hate to have it sound like this but do what you can without chemical treatment and when you see he is in pain time to pull the plug. Had to do this to my wife's beloved cat. With the pain, no gaurentee of cure, cost, and my wife was pregnant it was time.

My brother in law spent 5k to add 2 years to his dogs life on chemo. No thanks.

I am sure I spent more than that, but we added 4 years of quality life for the dog.  He was happy and except for the cancer a very healthy dog.  When he was 14 they ran a complete blood analysis and the vet said it looked like the blood work from a six year old dog.  They told me that I would know when it was time to let him go, and they were right.  He never suffered and we all enjoyed those extra four years with him.  Here are a few shots of him during his last year, and as you can see he was a happy dog.  The shirts were to keep him from going after the topical treatments on his skin:

2749878898_359d4523cb_z_d.jpg

5300306357_a56fe3a7fa_z_d.jpg

4538499601_90b8802523_z_d.jpg

5312914842_5e6e749e17_z_d.jpg

Talk with Dr. Chang at American Animal Hospital in Randolph, she and Adam (no longer works there) did a great job with surgery and an experimental plant based treatment on my Husky.  He made it to 15 years old with treatments and surgery for four years.

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely be checking with Dr. Chang.

Celraysoda,

Sorry to hear about your dog, my wife and I went through a similar experience with 2 of our dogs. We had a Beagle mix who had nine wonderful years with that got cancer, we spent most of our life's savings on chemo Therapy/chemo pills for him. The Vet said he probably lived eight months longer because of it. A year later we went through the same think with our Golden Retriever and had to dip into our retirement funds. The Vet did not say how much time he thought was added to my dogs life with the treatments, but we didn't care, we knew his life was extended some.

Eight years has passed since my Golden has passed and looking back I wish I had never given either of them Chemo. I couldn't care less about the finances, it's the toll the Chemo took on my dogs. Both of them started getting very weak and lethargic. it got so bad I would have to hold my Beagle's back end up for him to stand. The Vet said neither was in pain, but I can still remember them looking into my eye's, it seemed they were both asking "WHY" why would we do this to them, why would we so selfishly make them endure more pain and suffering so me and my family could spend a little more time with them. As I wipe my tears away, the only advise I can give is..your dog will let you know what to do , please don't be as selfish as I was.

I feel for you and know this is a tough decision. I had a cat with cancer in his eye. He had the eye removed and received chemo which didn't seem to bother him. He lived another 18 months after the first surgery with an excellent quality of life because he didn't show any signs of suffering until his last week.

I would highly recommend Red Bank Veterinary Hospital their oncology dept is amazing. The oncologist who treated my cat was crying when it was time to put him to sleep. These are compassionate and competent doctors. The decision is a personal matter but I would at least recommend a visit with an oncologist and then decide.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

Having been in the same situation several times I feel for you.

The last Golden we lost we actually got the chemo drugs to start the program.

Fortunately, she let us know it was time and we never subjected her to the chemo.

When they stop eating and drinking - that is a good time to let them go.

My heart goes out to you.

One small bit of advice. The food you feed your friend is incredibly important. I believe raw and one ingredient is best. Even sick dogs get better QoL with a thoughtful diet. One more thing, watch lawn and household chemicals/fertilizers/pest sprays. I lost a dog to commercial fertilizers once.

Again, my sincerest hopes for a good outcome for you, your family and your pug.

I can't believe all the chemo haters.

Chemo won't hurt the dog much, but it will hurt your wallet a little. I've been down this road. Don't do it out of desperation. Only do it if a veterinarian oncologist tells you there is a greater than 50% chance for a remission. If it's going to keep him alive for six months as things get worse then you are screwing yourself and the dog.

Enjoy every day and if he gets tender for 24 hours then feed him his favorite meal and shoot him. Let him die happy. Don't wait too long. BTW, they know when you are going to kill them, so be ready for resistance.

Just remember that they cant speak for themselves, so they rely on you to do whats best. When the time comes, ask yourself, are you keeping the dog around for you or him?

Good luck with everything.

I think the biggest problem is exactly that, we are keeping then around longer for us.

I had a very rough time the first time it was my responsibility for the decision. I couldn't let go.

It was finally my wife who made the appointment.

Although when my wife commented that I will not be in charge of end if life choices for her because of my indecision with our Golden, she wasn't ready for my reply :-0