gleninjersey

1 Permit Left, Striker Fired or 22?

Just gotten into shooting recently.  Have a revolver (Ruger GP 100) and a hammer fired semi-automatic (CZ 75B 9mm) and have one permit left.  Thinking about perhaps getting a striker fired gun.  Would mostly be a range gun and back up to HD revolver.  Want to keep the price reasonable (and the wife reasonably happy) by keeping the price under $500 if possible.  Is it possible to find a well built and accurate striker fired pistol in this price range? 

Some thinks I've been considering are:

Ruger SR9 - most affordable ($400ish), I have rented and was fairly accurate with range rental gun.  I like my Ruger revolver but the SR9 just doesn't seem to get much love.  I know they had some problems when they first came out years ago but as I understand it those have been resolved. 

S&W MP9 - mid range price ($450 -$550).  Also have rented and was also fairly accurate with the range rental.  Most everyone seems to love them.

Walther PPQ - upper price range ($550 - $600).  Haven't fired one but held one and fits my hand very well (I have small hands).  Have read they are very smooth and have an excellent trigger out of the box.

I know a lot of people are going to say GLOCK!!  I'm not dead set against them but quite honestly I find them rather confusing....too many numbers! (Glock 17, 23, 27... hike, hike!!) and what generation it is (Gen 3, Gen 4, etc, etc). 

I'm also thinking about perhaps getting a .22.  Would mostly be for when I take people to shoot how have never fired a gun before or taking my wife and kids shooting.  Would probably be a Ruger Mark "something"....probably a III.

Also the Beretta 92FS is on my radar but will probably have to wait as it is more expensive.  Like what I have read about how the slide functions in a similar manner to my CZ (rides inside the rail).  I've read this is supposed to improve/help with accuracy and if my CZ is any indication of this it is pretty true.  I shoot my CZ much, much better than my GP100. 

I also like the new Ruger SR1911...incredible looking gun but it is up there in price (for me) and a .45 (more expensive to shoot).  Will have to also wait a bit for that one.

Too many guns, too few dollars!  LOL.  So should I get another 9 in striker fired or go with a .22?  Newbies I take to the range with me can always shoot .32s out of my GP100 (it's a .327 Federal Magnum).  They "almost" feel like shooting 22s!

Hi Glenn,

If you decide to go striker fired and possibly are thinking about a CCW permit my suggestion is a Glock 26 Gen4 in 9mm or the Ruger SR9c (it is not the one from your list but this is the subcompact size i am suggesting).

If you decide to go 22lr Ruger MK III these are in your price range and below.

http://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns.html?caliber=2645&manufacturer=2514

I have both glock26 (gen 3) and Ruger MK III if you want to try them out at EFGA this sunday but i have to leave by 11.30am

A nice .22 pistol is always good to have in your collection. I'd recommend the Ruger MK III or try taking a look at the M&P 22. I have both and really like em.

If you're set on a 9mm striker fired pistol, then I'd highly recommend the M&P 9 with the addition of an Apex DCAEK kit, as the stock trigger sucks. My M&P 9 with the DCAEK is one my most favorite to shoot, after my 1911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would get a .22 since you already have a revolver and a 9mm. I have a Browning Buckmark and it is a blast to shoot and super accurate. Used Buckmarks go for around $250-$300 and new for around $400 and mags are cheap and easy to find.  Get a brick for $25 and spend a few hours at the range. 

Hi Glenn,

If you decide to go striker fired and possibly are thinking about a CCW permit my suggestion is a Glock 26 Gen4 in 9mm or the Ruger SR9c (it is not the one from your list but this is the subcompact size i am suggesting).

http://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns.html?caliber=2645&manufacturer=2514

I have both glock26 (gen 3) and Ruger MK III if you want to try them out at EFGA this sunday but i have to leave by 11.30am

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the offer but won't be able to make to EFGA until 1ish. Not interested in concealed carry at this time.

I would get a .22 since you already have a revolver and a 9mm. I have a Browning Buckmark and it is a blast to shoot and super accurate. Used Buckmarks go for around $250-$300 and new for around $400 and mags are cheap and easy to find. Get a brick for $25 and spend a few hours at the range.

Seriously thinking of.getting a .22 now and maybe a 1911 next year. I have heard nothing but good things about the Buckmarks and will check them out.

.22 seems like the best bet (next on my list as well). Mark III or Browning Buckmark, though people say the Ruger a real PITA to take down and reassemble.

As a Mark III Hunter owner, I've never understood how people think they are such a PITA to take down and reassemble. It's a piece of cake.  

As a Mark III Hunter owner, I've never understood how people think they are such a PITA to take down and reassemble. It's a piece of cake.  

Yeah, I've never handled one myself, so it's just what I've heard.  Good to know not everyone feels that way, as the Mark III is what I'll probably get, complaints about take down notwithstanding.

Well if you go with a Glock 19 Gen 4 9mm, then you can buy an advantage arms 22lr conversion kit for it which requires no permit. Then you will have your striker fired gun and your 22lr. I have this setup and it's great.

Unless you want a .40 cal. Then get the Glock 23 Gen 4 which uses the same Advantage Arms conversion kit ( the 19, 23, & 32 all use the same frame).

As others have said, you can't go wrong with a sweet little .22 pistol.

With that said, if you like the Beretta 92FS but think it's too expensive, consider the Taurus PT92. Some might call it a knock-off, but it's really more like a clone. According to TTAG (link), Taurus bought all the original equipment and kept all the workers at the Beretta factory in Brazil, so it's supposed to be a top notch copy. It is also well-loved by YouTube gun guy NeverEnuffAmmo (I love that guy) so take that for what it's worth.

Also worth noting is the PT92 has the frame-mounted "1911 style" safety rather than the "backwards" slide-mounted safety if that matters to you.

Disclaimer: I own a Beretta 92FS and I love it... and I will probably buy a Taurus PT92 when the funds/opportunity present themselves. I feel like they're sister pistols and they belong together.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with a sweet little .22 pistol.

With that said, if you like the Beretta 92FS but think it's too expensive, consider the Taurus PT92. Some might call it a knock-off, but it's really more like a clone. According to TTAG (link), Taurus bought all the original equipment and kept all the workers at the Beretta factory in Brazil, so it's supposed to be a top notch copy. It is also well-loved by YouTube gun guy NeverEnuffAmmo (I love that guy) so take that for what it's worth.

Also worth noting is the PT92 has the frame-mounted "1911 style" safety rather than the "backwards" slide-mounted safety if that matters to you.

Disclaimer: I own a Beretta 92FS and I love it... and I will probably buy a Taurus PT92 when the funds/opportunity present themselves. I feel like they're sister pistols and they belong together.

Thanks, I've been interested in the Taurus brand but haven't read much about them yet.  Look forward to reading the review.

Not interested in concealed carry at this time.

I said the same thing.  About two years later II have a couple CCWs and trying to CCW an M&P9 FS is a pain.  I'm getting an M&P40c once my town approves the permits(another 4 months?).

If you like the M&Ps look into the C series, very nice and still a good range gun.  If you ever go down the CCW route you won't have to burn another permit to get one.

You should check out the ruger sr22. Lots of fun. Easy to clean. Comfortable. I think it's in the 300-350 range new....

I can second this.  Mine was $306 shipped from a dealer in PA and it is indeed a FUN little pistol to shoot.  I tore a 525rnd box through it in a single range session as I was just enjoying myself and didn't bother to stop loading up the magazines.

So I ended up using my last permit on...........an additional Ruger GP 100. I found a good deal on Kentucky Gun Company for $565 shipped. I listed my. 327 GP100 o GunBroker after watching what they were selling for. I sold it for $750 plus $35 s/h which is $200 more than I paid. I have seen them selling for NIB for between $800 - $1,100 dollars!

Looking forward to breaking in the trigger on another Ruger GP100! Looks like the 22 will have to wait until next year. Any newbies I take to the range will have to deal with shooting 38s through the 357.

All in all I rather pleased with my small, but growing, selection. Considering my first purchase was in June I guess a Ruger GP100 and a CZ75-B isn't too bad of an entry into firearms. Now I  just need to settle on a shotgun (probably a Mossberg 500) and then do lots of reading on the AR and then perhaps I'll be done for a bit.....maybe.