Heavyopp

Some real grungy brass turned to Bling

To complement my for sale add since I can't post it there...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/1060-complete-wet-tumbler-setup/

I still get asked about the cleaning process using stainless steel media.  I had some really nasty brass that needed a good shine. Here's how I did it --

how the brass started...

P1050553_zps267395d5.jpg

1st I need to knock out the primers -- I dump a manageable load into a cookie tin to work with

P1050554_zps1416b578.jpg

The hornady LNL set up to knock out primers --  That's a lee de-capping die

P1050555_zpsab75ed80.jpg

Just feed and crank the handle -- doesn't take very long

P1050558_zpsfa7dcad4.jpg

They are dirty...

P1050561_zpse4db6637.jpg

P1050563_zps2ce279dc.jpg

From the bin they get dumped into a long, thin, plastic bag. 

P1050564_zps0c663b76.jpg

It's only 5+ pounds of brass in this load --  they where all winchester brass already separated --  figured I would keep them that way

From the bag, they go in the drum --

P1050566_zps65252f11.jpg

P1050568_zps9169f9a0.jpg

5 pounds of brass gets 7 pounds of media --  I find about 2 pounds more media than brass works good

P1050567_zpsa66cf378.jpg

P1050569_zps264a9a62.jpg

The additives...   Lemi Shine crystal, lemi shine rinse additive, small bathroom cup for liquid dish soap, and a 44 mag shell to measure the crystal --

I've been using the lemi shine rinse aid lately too --  It seems to help prevent spots on the clean brass

P1050570_zpsdfd4be8b.jpg

A half of a cup of liquid dish detergent and a .44 mag shell full of lemi shine --

P1050571_zpsb02ab7ce.jpg

The drum is filled with cold to warm water and detergents dumped in -- 

P1050572_zps10683ed6.jpg

Once everything is in, I top off the water level to here --

P1050573_zps54e9040d.jpg

and seal it up --

P1050574_zps12d29848.jpg

This is a light load --  Just 5 pounds of brass --  I have done 11 pounds of brass with 13 pounds of media with this setup.

Total weight of loaded drum

P1050575_zpsfd8b660d.jpg

Spin it ---  Picture shows my tumbler,  it's not the same as what I have for sale,  was my 1st version

P1050577_zps6ca5b6e5.jpg

I let this load spin for 3.5 hours --  Generally I'll run 4 or 5 hours but since this load was so small I didn't need the run time

1st thing I do when it's rinsing time is to put used dryer sheets into the drain to catch any pins that escape.  

P1050578_zps5d177355.jpg

What it looks like when you 1st open it up --  Thats all thick soap suds

P1050580_zps028a150f.jpg

Slowly dump off some of the black water...

P1050581_zpse493441c.jpg

P1050582_zps50cc1d5d.jpg

a look into the drum --

P1050583_zps7653bc5f.jpg

just a few cases pulled from the drum...

P1050584_zps4b5b6ce7.jpg

P1050585_zps9a9cff9c.jpg

Here's how I set up to separate the pins from the brass and rinse --  an old colander in a bucket with a cracked bottom --

P1050586_zps54bf3fa9.jpg

On top of the bucket, I use a lyman media separator --

P1050588_zpscc0b0a7f.jpg

P1050587_zps979b9d32.jpg

Since it's a small load I can dump the whole thing into the separator --  If it was an 11 pound load I would do it in 2 or 3 dumpings

P1050589_zpsa61f14f7.jpg

P1050590_zps042c83ab.jpg

I mix the load around with my hands and most of the pins will drop out into the bucket --

you still get a few pins that stay inside of brass but a simple shake in your hands and you can hear if there are pins inside

P1050591_zps90aea377.jpg

to rinse I use a bucket filled with water...

P1050592_zps7e233831.jpg

Brass in the water, dumped into the separator, rinsed, and back in the bucket -- I do this 5 or 6 times

P1050593_zpsceed314f.jpg

Once rinsed it get dumped on a towel --

P1050595_zps26f545c8.jpg

then into the brass separator and over the dehumidifier for 24 hours to dry

P1050596_zpscbb29c02.jpg

It's a neat contraption...but just seems like WAAAYYY too much hassle for me...lol

I started reloading for precision rifle back in the late 80's -- I got it engrained into my system to clean primer pockets. I know a lot of you guys don't for pistol but I just couldn't get away from it

This actually saves me time by cleaning those primer pockets for me -- does it matter?  It does to me. 

I started reloading for precision rifle back in the late 80's -- I got it engrained into my system to clean primer pockets. I know a lot of you guys don't for pistol but I just couldn't get away from it

This actually saves me time by cleaning those primer pockets for me -- does it matter?  It does to me.

They sure do look clean ..,that's for sure!

Thank you for the thread.  You helped me with my clean brass/media seperation process.  I use harbor freight dehydrators to dry brass and most of my brass still has primers in them.  It also takes me 3 hours to tumble brass but I can dry it just as quickly with the dehydrators.

Your welcome --   

Be careful with the primers still in them, I believe they will corrode if not dried completely 

Why don't you knock out the primers 1st and get the benefit of clean primer pockets?

Lee decapping die makes it easy.

How many cases fit in a dehydrator?  I've never seen one. 

Yup, only I bought the SS Media Kit from http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/ about a year and a half ago. If you want to see the process in action watch their video on-line or on youtube. My brass comes out better than new every time. With my Dillon 650 and automatic case feeder I can remove the primers on the dirty cases in no time. About 3,000/hour. I put my clean cases in an Al deep pan and put them on the clothes dryer sneaker rack. Run the dryer for about 15 minutes and they are dry as a bone. I store them in containers with desiccant to keep them dry and shiny. Great system. I will never tumble with media again.

This thread is awesome, thank you for making it.

One question I have is how do you attach the agitator inside the drum?

The agitators are attached using stainless steel flat head screws and stainless washers with stainless nylock nuts all #10

The screws get drilled all the way thru both drum and agitator and then countersunck into the outside of the drum --

The trick is to do this 2" from the end of the pipe  then the other fittings will seal the holes when glued on 

I have to make a drum tomorrow night,  I'll take pictures 

If you want to see how to make one visit the Brian Enos forums. You can see how to make one.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130815&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

If you want to buy one then Google big dawg tumblers and buy one from him. Really nice guy.

If you want to see how to make one visit the Brian Enos forums. You can see how to make one.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130815&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

If you want to buy one then Google big dawg tumblers and buy one from him. Really nice guy.

respect2a has some sort of relation to big dawg --  you don't like what I built -- stay the hell out of my thread  

I'll be at OBRPC tomorrow morning if you'd like to talk --  otherwise I'd appreciate if you keep you comments to yourself

respect2a has some sort of relation to big dawg --  you don't like what I built -- stay the hell out of my thread  

I'll be at OBRPC tomorrow morning if you'd like to talk --  otherwise I'd appreciate if you keep you comments to yourself

"Meet you in the school yard at 3:15"   see how silly it sounds?  Let the guy comment nobody cares! Nice project informative. that's what this forum is about.  BTW way too much work for me...LOL

This forum isn't meant for people to build a product and then sell it. If he wants to do so he should pony up the money and become a vendor.

This thread basically amounts to an advertisement for his tumbler. Besides the fact that he stole someone's design and tried to pass it off as his own. Sure he might have made it a little better but that's not the point.

The OP is just being bitchy at me because he knows what he did. Just getting tired of his constant " advertising" is all.

Besides the fact that he stole someone's design and tried to pass it off as his own. Sure he might have made it a little better but that's not the point.

Actually, the world is full of people that saw someone else's design and "stole" it and improved on it.  If BigDawg didn't patent his design, it's no harm, no foul.

In fact, there are people who PURPOSELY don't patent their ideas.  Those people generally fall into two categories - the first category is the person who doesn't want his "secret" available to the public in 17 yrs so that someone else can "steal" it.  The second category is people who willingly share their ideas in order that the collective world can benefit from their design, knowing that their design may be knocked off or improved upon.

Actually, the world is full of people that saw someone else's design and "stole" it and improved on it. If BigDawg didn't patent his design, it's no harm, no foul.

In fact, there are people who PURPOSELY don't patent their ideas. Those people generally fall into two categories - the first category is the person who doesn't want his "secret" available to the public in 17 yrs so that someone else can "steal" it. The second category is people who willingly share their ideas in order that the collective world can benefit from their design, knowing that their design may be knocked off or improved upon.

I know that and agree with you. That's why I said but that's not the point.

It's not always economically viable to patent something. Ever tried? It's very time consuming and expensive. Lawyers involved if you want to do it right. Just because someone doesn't patent something doesn't mean they look forward to having someone rip off their design. I don't know how this guy improved it anyway. Again not really my point.

My point in case someone missed it is that if he wants to sell his tumblers on here he needs to get a forum vendor account.

Some of us see this post as innocent and informative while some see what it really is... Advertising.

I know that and agree with you. That's why I said but that's not the point.

It's not always economically viable to patent something. Ever tried? It's very time consuming and expensive. Lawyers involved if you want to do it right. Just because someone doesn't patent something doesn't mean they look forward to having someone rip off their design. I don't know how this guy improved it anyway. Again not really my point.

My point in case someone missed it is that if he wants to sell his tumblers on here he needs to get a forum vendor account.

Some of us see this post as innocent and informative while some see what it really is... Advertising.

Thank God for you, and your ability to see through his lies.

This forum isn't meant for people to build a product and then sell it. If he wants to do so he should pony up the money and become a vendor.

This thread basically amounts to an advertisement for his tumbler. Besides the fact that he stole someone's design and tried to pass it off as his own. Sure he might have made it a little better but that's not the point.

The OP is just being bitchy at me because he knows what he did. Just getting tired of his constant " advertising" is all.

Forum Vendors are meant for businesses like FFL's, gun shops, etc. the OP is a Premier Member ...which not only supports the site, it grants access to sell in the classifides...nothing wrong with makin a few tumblers and selling them to forum members. IF the OP started an LLC selling tumblers then he should be a vendor lol...other than that no reason to go on bout this.

Who are you to decide that he NEEDS to become a forum vendor? I don't see Admin or Moderator, under your user name. If the Admins feel he is taking advantage, they will contact him. At this point all he is doing is offering to build a few tumblers for those that don't have the resources (equipment, welding skills, etc.)  to do it themselves.

Who are you to decide that he NEEDS to become a forum vendor? I don't see Admin or Moderator, under your user name. If the Admins feel he is taking advantage, they will contact him. At this point all he is doing is offering to build a few tumblers for those that don't have the resources (equipment, welding skills, etc.)  to do it themselves.

You're obviously not at the same intellectual level as Respect2A and there for can't comprehend the brilliance of his statements.  People like you NEED people like him to warn/help these feeble minded forum members.  

I guess whenever a forum member has a good idea to improve the lifestyle of shooting, he/she should keep to themselves and not try to share...

If you don't like the "advertisement" than move on and don't read. What does it matter to you if he is a forum vendor? Do you benefit monetarily?

Ok Guys --  Back to building stuff -- I do appreciate the support from all of you

I've been a little delayed in building a drum but got the bulk of it done tonight --

Another long picture laden post to follow --