Gunnz

Reloading Question....too old to shoot?

My friends dad used to shoot in completion, and reload his own 45. He no longer shoots, and is giving all of his reloading equipment to me. I've never reloaded, but am eager to learn, and save some money on ammo.

My buddy said he also has about 300 rounds of reloaded 45, problem is it's been sitting around for 10-15 years. He said it's been kept in cool, dry environment, but would it still be safe to shoot?

Don't want my brand new 1911 to blow up. What are everyone's thoughts?

If it was safe to shoot when he made it it probably is still safe.  Problem is,  were they safe when he loaded them? Do you know if he liked to shoot hot loadings?  Soft loadings?  How well do you know the man?  Was he extremely conscientious when loading? 

I personally would pull the bullets, discard the powder and load them your self.  For the 10 bucks in powder it's not worth the risk.

If it was safe to shoot when he made it it probably is still safe.  Problem is,  were they safe when he loaded them? Do you know if he liked to shoot hot loadings?  Soft loadings?  How well do you know the man?  Was he extremely conscientious when loading? 

I personally would pull the bullets, discard the powder and load them your self.  For the 10 bucks in powder it's not worth the risk.

Good advice Pete. I was thinking that, but assumed the ammo was properly loaded, just that the question was the age of them.

When in doubt, throw it out(powder that is).

As PeteF said if it was safe to shoot when loaded its safe to shoot now.

I wouldn't risk damaging a gun without more info.

I've shot some of my reloads that are over 35years old.

Been shooting some surplus 45 GI hardball.

Both shotas well as when they were made.

I agree, I don't use other peoples reloaded ammo, pull the bullets and dump the powder......

Quality of the reloads aside (nothing against your father's skills) I have seen 45 ammo  factory stamped from 1942 shoot pretty successfully. A few rounds didn't go off, but those looked like light hits to me.  I have to go with the other's concerns about the quality though. It's not worth the damage and pain if there are bad rounds in there.