Sign in to follow this  
bhunted

Ammo Cabinets...

I'm looking for something that is lockable, not too heavy or take a big foot print, looks decent in a small office, has shelves that can hold a fair amount of various size ammo and not crazy expensive. What do you guys have or know about in that type of scheme? What say you?

:)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

That's 2 for locking file cabinets... Thanx... Any other thoughts? Lockable storage cabs, etc.?

Maybe something with swing open doors?

Typos courtesy Apple...

I had used a standard non industrial/commercial market in one of my homes to keep ammo inconspicuously but I guess I put too much in that location without thinking much about the drawer construction..... In the one I used the bottom of the draw yes was thin enough to belly down in the middle and was a pita to open a month later when I went back to open....I solved this by cutting a piece of 3/4 plywood the exact size of the interior of the drawer ..good to go now...

Also as someone had mentioned craigslist....I know some that have found used armoires and other such types of furniture in very nice shape cheap and just installed the $5 cabinet key lock like a file cabinet lock from home depot....I know you were looking for a small footprint...and interested in swing doors ..maybe a tall thin media storage type cabinet with a door(that you could install a similar lock on) and anchor to wall to prevent tipping?...

Guess I should have mentioned metal. Also, needs to have shelves to be able to stack at least 3 boxes wide. The file cabinets would be a good idea, but I'd have to dig quite a bit to get all calibers in... I have a 4 drawer and 2 drawer. Have to look at layout a bit better. Would really be nice if it were sitting nice on top of safe as a compliment to it. Stack-on has some but 0nly 17" wide... not very big.

Reason I'm trying to stay away from floor space units, is the room it's in has limited floor space. Plenty of space on top of safe. Anything I found so far is ridiculously priced.

Shawn, thanks but note above your post... mentioned floor space not an option. Hanging or something that sits. Checked Craigs list. Garbage right now and be damned if they gave better filters. Everything from dishwashers to coolers come up when searching. Geeze.

3000-5000+  by time I'm done. I know I won't get all that in this type of cabinet, especially rifle ammo. But if I can get something about 30" wide by 36-48" tall and deep enough to put a few rows deep, that would be a start. Tryin to stay away from wood cabinets to keep them more impregnable. Worse comes to worse, I can build exactly what I need from wood or use kitchen cabinets or something.

Anything bulk in cans can go in my old stackon cabinets in a different room if need be. But wife is cringing when I want more gun furniture taking up space. In other words, I touch her china closet or something to make more room for gun stuff, I'm dead meat! ;)

PS: I don't have a garage.....

How much ammo are we talking about, exactly? :D

You could always make something by hand. I know you prefer metal but just throwing the option out there.

I built this for a friend of mine. He was in your position but didn't want to drop a bit of money on it. He paid for the wood and threw me some ammo as well. It worked out as I enjoy doing little projects like this.

You could always throw some latches onto it and put some doors on to close it all off. Yes, it won't be thief-secure but not many cabinets are. He didn't want that function anyway.

How much ammo can you fit?

Typos courtesy Apple...

You could always make something by hand. I know you prefer metal but just throwing the option out there.

I built this for a friend of mine. He was in your position but didn't want to drop a bit of money on it. He paid for the wood and threw me some ammo as well. It worked out as I enjoy doing little projects like this.

You could always throw some latches onto it and put some doors on to close it all off. Yes, it won't be thief-secure but not many cabinets are. He didn't want that function anyway.

You have a picture? :)

Typos courtesy Apple...

Saw that, thanks... Too wide and not very deep... :)

Typos courtesy Apple...

I don't keep ammo in it... But a quick calculation using a box of Blazer 9mm (50 rounds) shows it would be good for 17,000 rounds of this ammo.

That might work! Thanks...

Typos courtesy Apple...

Try Habitat For Humanity's ReStore off Hamburg Tpke near St Joes Hospital.

Kitch cabs and stuff?

Typos courtesy Apple...

Thanx.... Have to check it out... If not, think what I'll end up doing is build a wooden one. Make it almost the exact dimensions of the safe and paint it black...

Just got done with Sunday dinner. I do my best thinking when eating dinner or in the head. ;)

Already got a design idea.... :)

All kinda of stuff. Furniture, file cabs, kitchen cabs, armoires, etc. rolling stock, you never know what will be there.

Typos courtesy Apple...

You could check to see if there are any office furniture stores that have used stuff. A used cubicle cabinet would probably be about the right size and probably cheap.

That's an idea.... Could be.... Hmmmm. Thanx..

Typos courtesy Apple...

Any tool cabinet. Check Sears. Also search for garage organizers.

And remember this. Ammo from my limited experience Is extremely heavy per square inch. If you are hanging a cabinet man you better be cranking into studs.

(and I think my stud finder is broken... Every time I get near it it beeps... :-)