Hey guys is there a holster draw course that is accepted by everyone? I don't know if the NRA has one that ranges would accept.

It really annoys me that everyone wants you to pay to prove you know how to do it. I totally agree that you should have be evaluated to show you can do it safely and properly trained. And I'm ok with be charged a small evaluation fee for it. But not be forced to take a course at each range.

Example at RTSP you have to take their simunitions course and have a high passing score. Or defensive handgun ($275). At Gun for hire you have to have taken urban pistol 1 ($225) or their holster draw course ($125). All these are great courses if you need to lean how to do it but what if you already know how to? What if I took Urban pistol 1 at GFH and want to use my holster at RTSP. You can't!! because, correct me if I'm wrong they won't honor it.

I should not have to pay to prove my skills at each place. This is the reason the NRA created their courses so there would be a standard accepted by everyone. And while I do like ranges offering a variety of specialty/boutique classes there need to be some cross reciprocation of training between ranges. Especially in the case of these two cause they are friendly with each other and in fact I used to take my GFH courses at RTSP. So they must respect each other's training.

Member NJ2AS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Eh? I'm confused .. why do you need a course or a certification again? Are you saying that ranges don't allow you to draw from a holster without some sort of diploma?

Join a private club, a bit less BS.

Yes they require a certification to holster draw. I'm sure it is probably an insurance issue. I would love to join a private club like shongum but have you seen the waiting list. It looks like it would be years before I would get in.

Member NJ2AS

Hey guys is there a holster draw course that is accepted by everyone? I don't know if the NRA has one that ranges would accept.

It really annoys me that everyone wants you to pay to prove you know how to do it. I totally agree that you should have be evaluated to show you can do it safely and properly trained. And I'm ok with be charged a small evaluation fee for it. But not be forced to take a course at each range.

Example at RTSP you have to take their simunitions course and have a high passing score. Or defensive handgun ($275). At Gun for hire you have to have taken urban pistol 1 ($225) or their holster draw course ($125). All these are great courses if you need to lean how to do it but what if you already know how to? What if I took Urban pistol 1 at GFH and want to use my holster at RTSP. You can't!! because, correct me if I'm wrong they won't honor it.

I should not have to pay to prove my skills at each place. This is the reason the NRA created their courses so there would be a standard accepted by everyone. And while I do like ranges offering a variety of specialty/boutique classes there need to be some cross reciprocation of training between ranges. Especially in the case of these two cause they are friendly with each other and in fact I used to take my GFH courses at RTSP. So they must respect each other's training.

Member NJ2AS

RTSP will also accept a certification proving you've taken A course...just bring it and show it.

RTSP will also accept a certification proving you've taken A course...just bring it and show it.

Good to know!!! How does that work? Is this something you will keep on file or do I have to bring it every time? I don't want to get screamed at if I'm standing on the line drawing from a holster every time having to explain I have permission.

Good to know!!! How does that work? Is this something you will keep on file or do I have to bring it every time? I don't want to get screamed at if I'm standing on the line drawing from a holster every time having to explain I have permission.

They will put a sticker on your member card......  and each time you come, you ask for a Red card, that goes onto a velcro strip on the port letting the RO know you are good to go

GFH will put a sticker on your membership card once you are certified and you can hang your card in the lanyard supplied when you are shooting.

They will put a sticker on your member card......  and each time you come, you ask for a Red card, that goes onto a velcro strip on the port letting the RO know you are good to go

I am not a member at either location so I don't have membership cards. So how does that work?

I am not a member at either location so I don't have membership cards. So how does that work?

IIRC everyone (members and non members) get a profile put into the computer system...it would then be entered into the system. Again, call and ask for Jan and check.

Heritage Guild in Easton offers a course that includes drawing from a holster. You have to take it before you can use their new tactical range, its a $100 for members.

Again another fee/mandatory class for something already took a class on how to do. But I am glad to here about RTSP honoring other training.

And as for the join comment, I should not have to join to be able to draw from a holster.

Member NJ2AS

Well I am glad all these places are cautious about having people draw from a holster.  Sure it would be nice if there was some common standard, but this is a safety issue.  The last thing I want is to be at the range and have someone discharge a round god knows where while they are unsafely pulling a loaded gun out from a holster.  While you might know what you are doing, there are many others that do not, and the range needs to take actions to protect us and themselves.  I have observed that many that run IDPA matches are now requiring prior training or classification before they let shooter participate.

Sorry getting into this a bit late.  We do recognize other draw certificates as long as it is from a reputable organization.  Likewise, IDPA or USPSA are acceptable qualifying sources. As far as the non-member thing, we will make a notation in the notes section of your profile.

Hope that helps

Well I am glad all these places are cautious about having people draw from a holster. Sure it would be nice if there was some common standard, but this is a safety issue. The last thing I want is to be at the range and have someone discharge a round god knows where while they are unsafely pulling a loaded gun out from a holster. While you might know what you are doing, there are many others that do not, and the range needs to take actions to protect us and themselves. I have observed that many that run IDPA matches are now requiring prior training or classification before they let shooter participate.

I agree completely. I have no problem having to demonstrate my training and it should be mandatory. My complaint is paying to have to take another class on something I already have done.

Member NJ2AS

Sorry getting into this a bit late. We do recognize other draw certificates as long as it is from a reputable organization. Likewise, IDPA or USPSA are acceptable qualifying sources. As far as the non-member thing, we will make a notation in the notes section of your profile.

Hope that helps

:dance: