DargZ

Spikes Tactical 14.5" Lightweight 5.56/.223 DynaComp BAR-12 Upper Receiver - 699.95 free shipping

Is this deal too good to pass up??  I will grab one if it is, I do need a quality complete upper for my Chainsaw lower.  I can wait too, not in any hurry. 

IMO if you wait for a sale you might get it ~$50 cheaper.  However that could be a long wait - AIM's supply is very spotty - it can be a long time before they get something in stock again. 

I'd price out the same configuration from Spike's direct and see if the discount is enough to make you jump now.

As an aside, a 14.5" middy pencil barrel with a dynacomp and a light enough version of everything else makes a wonderful to handle little carbine. With a Troy handguard, iron sights, and no skimping on quality solid parts, you end up with a 5.5lb rifle that handles like a dream.

Speaking of weight. PSA has a deal on a heavy barrel upper. I googled around it is 1lb more? Jogging with it it carry all day maybe an issue for it just for indoor shooting, no bench, does the heavy barrel become a pain?

No disrespect intended to some but if 1lb is an issue u have other things to worry about. I have lw rifles but the accuracy during any sustained shooting does suffer materially. I do not like open groups. For me, accuracy and reliabilty trump 1lb.

I do like 14.5 barrels though......alot

Okay, run and gun lighter is better, for bench heavy is better. So what about the suburban commandos that just shoot standing up at paper for recreation? (yes, I get it hit the gym if one pound bothers you). But can anyone advise if they feel like the function/action/recoil of the heavier barrel is better or worse? You know what I mean like those moments when you go "oh man this feels sweet". Does the more meat on tr barrel make it "feel" different?

No disrespect intended to some but if 1lb is an issue u have other things to worry about. I have lw rifles but the accuracy during any sustained shooting does suffer materially. I do not like open groups. For me, accuracy and reliabilty trump 1lb.

I do like 14.5 barrels though......alot

Whats your definition of "sustained shooting" though? 1 round every 10 seconds? 10 rounds every 10 seconds?  Ive never noticed any major loss in accuracy with my rifle, but I also realize that my LW 14.5" barreled AR shooting M193 is not going to be a tack driver either.  And please tell how a LW is going to be less reliable?

Barrel weight and length have no direct influence on accuracy, as a rule. They do overheat quicker though.

But they also cool back down quicker as well.

Whats your definition of "sustained shooting" though? 1 round every 10 seconds? 10 rounds every 10 seconds?  Ive never noticed any major loss in accuracy with my rifle, but I also realize that my LW 14.5" barreled AR shooting M193 is not going to be a tack driver either.  And please tell how a LW is going to be less reliable?

But they also cool back down quicker as well.

that's absolute nonsense.  lw barrels heat up much faster and your groups will open up and that has been tested and validated in various mil and private tests.  I do agree that ball 193 isn't optimal ammo but it doesn't matter.

come to cjrp with me and we'll shoot a variety of barrel profiles my style and then post back here you won't see any difference.

I should have wrote the reliablity more clear, in no way would a lw be less reliable.  When I say reliable I'm saying that accuracy and reliability are my main concerns with any rifle and not making a comment on lw barrels being less reliable.  I just laugh at the weight crowd as 1lb give or take is that much of a concern.  

Great upper and absolutely love mine. Got it last year, have put tons of rounds through it and haven't had a single issue with it. I haven't noticed any issues with accuracy due to heat as someone above mentioned. Don't listen to any BS, this is a excellent upper. Plus it looks sweet as hell :-)

c70c19928b6ba3cb9e9bd8b4c42ffd02_zpsbc70

that's absolute nonsense.  lw barrels heat up much faster and your groups will open up and that has been tested and validated in various mil and private tests.  I do agree that ball 193 isn't optimal ammo but it doesn't matter.

come to cjrp with me and we'll shoot a variety of barrel profiles my style and then post back here you won't see any difference.

I should have wrote the reliablity more clear, in no way would a lw be less reliable.  When I say reliable I'm saying that accuracy and reliability are my main concerns with any rifle and not making a comment on lw barrels being less reliable.  I just laugh at the weight crowd as 1lb give or take is that much of a concern.  

Nonsense?  I never said it doesnt happen or that it was BS, but if you go back and read my post I clearly said that "Ive never noticed any major loss in accuracy with my rifle".  Not your rifle or other rifles, with my rifle using my ammo, I dont see a major loss in accuracy (ie, the gun still shoots 3-4moa @ 100yd).  But then again Im not one to sit at a bench all day and try to put hole in holes just to say I can.  My gun was put together to to be reliable and make consistant COM hits out to 300 yards, which it does without issue.

And as to your 1lb comments, you can laugh at me all you want, but due to a shoulder injury when I was younger (and stupider) that 1lb on the end of the gun does make a difference to me.

that's absolute nonsense. lw barrels heat up much faster and your groups will open up and that has been tested and validated in various mil and private tests. I do agree that ball 193 isn't optimal ammo but it doesn't matter.

I should have wrote the reliablity more clear, in no way would a lw be less reliable. When I say reliable I'm saying that accuracy and reliability are my main concerns with any rifle and not making a comment on lw barrels being less reliable. I just laugh at the weight crowd as 1lb give or take is that much of a concern.

What exactly is "your style"? And at what point do you consider your group opening up a problem?

If you're hitting minute-of-man inside 200 yds I don't see it as a problem.

I don't see a scenario where I'll need to mag dump a few times then need to put one in a brain box at distance under stress.

Either way the inch or so behind the gas block is usually the hottest point on a barrel (on a carbine system at least) and a LW and GI barrel is the same diameter at his point.

The difference will be minimal and the shooter will likely be more of a variable than the barrel.

First of all, that configuration is still a MOA gun, I know because I've built one. Yes, if I try to shoot 40-50 rd quickly from a bench, I'll see a difference in groups, as it becomes 2moa. On the other hand the only time I shoot from a bench is nearly never, since I prefer to do my zero from prone, and personally I get stiff in prone before I overheat the gun.

Secondly for 99% of run and gun lighter is better not because of upper body strength , it is because of control and balance characteristics. Removing weight from the front of the gun shifts it's center of gravity closer to the shoulder. This lets you swing the rifle faster and stop it quicker without overrunning a target.

I personally have no use for heavy barrels. If I wanted a bench gun, I'd get a mil spec profile and add a JP cooling fin thingie.

All this hype over a Spikes set up. I run a jse surplus 16" with a surefire break and a a2 front sight and I have 2000+ rounds(mainly steel cased) through her with out an issue. I think it comes down to how you shoot. My PSA 16" upper has about 1000 rounds (of steel cased) and is balls accurate. Hell the ar my psa upper build cost me only like 100 more then the spikes upper by itself including a rear sight and a yhm break pinned and welded...

I don't think anyone is claiming this is the one and only way and omg you must buy one. I don't really see why you think it is hype as opposed to people discussing something. What do you think about apples? I like apples. That doesn't mean that pears are evil so I don't really understand pear fans complaining about the apple hype.

I basically have this setup.  I have the complete spikes upper with lightweight (i dont think mine is considered a pencil) barrel and dynacomp.  My rifle is a dream to shoot, and its really light.  That was my goal with this build, a short, light "go-to" rifle.  I finished my build last spring, i believe I got this upper for $500 at the time, also from PSA...