High Exposure

School me on NJ legal AK variants

HIgh Exposure. Check out this video.. It's very clear and this is the reference that I used in doing the pistol grip conversion.

The only thing I would NOT do is thread the bullet guide the way he did. Other than that it's good to go. Oh and one suggestion..use a cobalt drill bit.

One hook vs two hook trigger - which one and why?

I assume most people just do the single hook on the Saiga. If you do the double-hook you only need to dremel out the other side, very easy mod to do. Some folks like myself think the double hook may run a bit smoother, I went that route. Please be advised that  I’m not advocating this, I’m just throwing it out there for informational purposes . Other guys will use the double hook to do a “trigger job”. Guys will shim under the trigger legs inside the receiver by putting a small washer under the trigger legs to take up some slack and then they will either dremel the other slot short (in receiver) or simply trim the second leg itself, one or the other NOT both.  The desired result is to limit the trigger travel so that’s your DIY Saiga “trigger job”.  Needless to say you have to be very careful doing this..

Is the trigger job or the double hook necessary, certainly not. You could just go with the single hook like everyone else and it will last a forever.  I just like the idea of the trigger system being symmetrical, so for me it was the double-hook and NO trigger job. I went to the range last week I let the Range Officer shoot my S762 that has the double hook. The first thing she said when he got done was “that trigger is exquisite”, his words not my words. Then I let him shoot my new AR build with a $210 Geissele trigger and he didn’t say a word, LOL

EDIT:

Here’s an image of the modification borrowed from someone else, below is my mod

34epy0l.jpg

I assume most people just do the single hook on the Saiga. If you do the double-hook you only need to dremel out the other side, very easy mod to do. Some folks like myself think the double hook may run a bit smoother, I went that route. Please be advised that  I’m not advocating this, I’m just throwing it out there for informational purposes . Other guys will use the double hook to do a “trigger job”. Guys will shim under the trigger legs inside the receiver by putting a small washer under the trigger legs to take up some slack and then they will either dremel the other slot short (in receiver) or simply trim the second leg itself, one or the other NOT both.  The desired result is to limit the trigger travel so that’s your DIY Saiga “trigger job”.  Needless to say you have to be very careful doing this..

Is the trigger job or the double hook necessary, certainly not. You could just go with the single hook like everyone else and it will last a forever.  I just like the idea of the trigger system being symmetrical, so for me it was the double-hook and NO trigger job. I went to the range last week I let the Range Officer shoot my S762 that has the double hook. The first thing she said when he got done was “that trigger is exquisite”, his words not my words. Then I let him shoot my new AR build with a $210 Geissele trigger and he didn’t say a word, LOL

the reason he said nothing about the AR trigger is most standard AR triggers are significantly better than most AK triggers.. so to feel one that is somewhat smooth is impressive.. with an AR it is expected.. having had several of both there is nothing in the AK world that can touch a Geissele trigger IMO.. 

the reason he said nothing about the AR trigger is most standard AR triggers are significantly better than most AK triggers.. so to feel one that is somewhat smooth is impressive.. with an AR it is expected.. having had several of both there is nothing in the AK world that can touch a Geissele trigger IMO.. 

I figured that but I still thought it was funny. You were the guy that turned me on to the Geissele. As always, Thanks for your help!  I would never suggest the Tapco is better than the Geissele.I could see the craftsmanship that went into it. As we all know they are two completely different systems under the hood, it’s like comparing a Ford Pickup truck to a Porsche. However one could argue a $30 upgrade vs. $200 may be a better value. IIRC the RO said he has a PSL so I guess that is where he made the comparison.  Again not a huge deal but I prefer the double-hook over the single-hook, YMMV.

I was about begin a new thread and found this, so here goes... What's everyone's opinion of the Zastava pap m77?  Eagle Arms had them in NJ legal configuration for $599.00 at the last gun show I went to.  Is that a deal or can I do better?  How do they compare to VEPR's?  Milled or stamped?  What I do know is they have the slant receivers and the barrel is not chrome lined.  That was never an issue with the Yugo SKS's so long as they were cleaned frequently.

Let me know what ya'll think. 

I'm in the process of learning as much as I can about the ak platform. One major factor in the 5.45 vs the x39 is corrosive vs noncorrosive. I would recommend shooting a milled vs a stamped receiver. The milled is definitely heavier.

Variants you should consider are....

Arsenal, mak-90, sar, maadi, and the saiga. Not in that order.

Sir Robert, PM me and I can school you in on a few things, and let you handle some things as well.

For the record, there is not that much difference between milled vs stamped. One receiver is milled from a block of steel, the other is stamped metal. Some prefer milled, some stamped. My opinion is get one of each. 

There is something interesting about milled receivers, I have to say.

Target Sports USA has the RWC Saiga 7.62 on sale:

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-4418-saiga-762x39mm-semi-auto-rifle-16-barrel-black-synthetic-stock.aspx#

I don't have anything AK related, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I kind of like the look of it.

Anyone have any comments on this?  Do I understand correctly that any Saiga needs to undergo a conversion

to be made compliant in NJ?

Target Sports USA has the RWC Saiga 7.62 on sale:

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-4418-saiga-762x39mm-semi-auto-rifle-16-barrel-black-synthetic-stock.aspx#

I don't have anything AK related, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I kind of like the look of it.

Anyone have any comments on this?  Do I understand correctly that any Saiga needs to undergo a conversion

to be made compliant in NJ?

Actually it's NJ legal the way it is.

Many people convert them to pistol grip while keeping it NJ compliant. Picture below (not mine).

35300d1321940927-ask-me-anything-you-nee