Jag07

Cleaning kits, oils, sprays, etc... Recommendations

Those of you that voted and commented on " which 45 acp would you choose" I'm the fool that started that one. For those that car/ curious I finally got my permit and license and immediately purchased the FNX 45 in all black. ( only gripe is that is only the 10 rd mag model ) I can't wait to get it out to the range and really fall in love with it.

So now. Keeping my new friend clean.

I have been trying to finds kits, oils, cleaning sprays, brushes, pads, jags, and also range bags.

Hoppes, Birchwood Casey, Ballistol are some of the brands and systems that I have found to be popular. I have also heard of people using Mobil 1 to oil the rails and other parts.

If you could point me towards a good instruction link, video it would be a great great help.

Looking forward to some tips and tricks.

I'll post some pics of my very first handgun up in a little while.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as i have been thinking about the same for my rifle and pistol...

just to toss it out there i have been looking in to FIREclean for my firearms. It looks promising. Just ordered a 2 pack. I'll post back info when i can.

Slip 2000 725 cleaner

An old hand towel folded in half for a cleaning mat

An old t-shirt or two for rags

A handful of q-tips

A .45 caliber boresnake

An old toothbrush

Slip 2000 EWL for lube

Stash it all in a gallon size ziplock bag (I keep the q-tips and the boresnake in their own individual smaller bags, and the cleaner and lube in another one together, and then put them in the gallon ziploc bag with the rest of the stuff)

Should cost you $20 for the whole setup, and allow you to clean any .45 in 10 minutes or less.

Slip 2000 725 cleaner

An old hand towel folded in half for a cleaning mat

An old t-shirt or two for rags

A handful of q-tips

A .45 caliber boresnake

An old toothbrush

Slip 2000 EWL for lube

Stash it all in a gallon size ziplock bag (I keep the q-tips and the boresnake in their own individual smaller bags, and the cleaner and lube in another one together, and then put them in the gallon ziploc bag with the rest of the stuff)

Should cost you $20 for the whole setup, and allow you to clean any .45 in 10 minutes or less.

Nicely Done!

I like Slip 2000 myself.

That being said, everything you mentioned would be just fine along with everything else that is likely to be mentioned in this thread. What I mean is that you won't damage your gun by using any brand name gun cleaning products. Hoppes worked just fine for me until I realized I don't have to use something that makes me woozy from the fumes. It's all personal preference.

Hard to beat the bag that Midway sells but wait for a sale if you can.

Hoppes worked just fine for me until I realized I don't have to use something that makes me woozy from the fumes.

But that's half the fun! :icon_e_biggrin:

Q tips are great but I prefer the longer wooden ones like these. The extra length allows you to reach into more spots, especially into the mag well.

I like these one cause they have 2 kinds of tips on them http://www.amazon.com/Type-III-Universal-Cleaning-American-Tapered/dp/B00C6PXGYE/ref=pd_sim_bt_15

If you have a medical supply store near you, you can buy bulk boxes of long medical q tips for real cheap

Search around a little.  I created a big thread about this sometime last year.  I found (on an outside site) someone that did anti-corrosion tests on all of the different oils.  Pretty interesting read.

I personally use grease for the high-friction areas, and CLP for everything else, including corrosion prevention.  I use hoppes for cleaning the bores.

hoppes 9

clp

mobil 1 synthetic

super lube grease

I don't use anything else and after thousands of rounds, years of use and sitting, not a single issue in any rifle or handgun

I use bore snakes and only use brushes after 1.5k rounds.  When I do, it's no more than 2x down the pipe

forgot, when I get a new rifle whether used or new, I spray degreaser everywhere, thoroughly strip, inspect and relube/clean

Hoppes 9, you can never have enough of that. Buy the biggest bottle.

Rem oil..

I do like froglube a whole lot because it I doesn't smell bad and usda approved

http://froglube.com

You know what, I have tons of cleaning stuff, doubles and triples of it and I still haven't stopped buying cleaning materials. I can fill a 55 Gallon tote with all my stuff and I'm not satisfied yet.

Good luck.

I have been using Fireclean for a few months now and all that is needed for internals is a quick wipe and it's clean. I shot 400 rounds thru my AR and I couldn't believe how easy it was to clean the bolt after.  ijust wiped it and oiled it and the bolt was like new.

I have tried all mentioned above in this thread and I will now stick to Fireclean for all my guns. I was using Froglube but IMO Fireclean out performs it and all other I have come acrossed so far!!!

I really like Kroil. I wouldn't say this is something you'd use to clean your whole gun.  You could.  But your wife/significant other would kill you if you used it

in the house if she didn't die of the fumes first.  But it is a great for getting really gummed up parts, lead inside barrels (if you ever shoot lead rounds), grease,

anything and everything: It will BREAK IT DOWN.  

I've actually used it to recondition my window A/C unit and bathroom fan when they got jammed from rust and debris.  Now they work perfectly.  The stuff is strong, but 

just don't breath too much of it in.  

Do not use Kroil or any other penetrating agents (like WD-40) on firearms. Especially firearms you may depend on to save your life. Penetrating agents can seep into cartridges and deaden primers and powder giving you a click when you really need a bang.

There are plenty of quality cleaning products that don't have this side effect to choose from.

Do not use Kroil or any other penetrating agents (like WD-40) on firearms. Especially firearms you may depend on to save your life. Penetrating agents can seep into cartridges and deaden primers and powder giving you a click when you really need a bang.

There are plenty of quality cleaning products that don't have this side effect to choose from.

Well you gotta wipe it off.  Otherwise your gun will smell up the entire range.  

It's more for loosening up parts if they are stuck.  Or getting rid of debris, grim,

that is really on parts.  But ultimately you have to wipe it all off.  

For the bore, I start with two patches of Hoppes #9, then 2 patches of Eezox which dissolves remaining fouling, then I spray Ballistol down the barrel and run through a patch for the final lube (compulsive, huh).  I use Eezox to clean and degrease all inner working parts and the outer metal surfaces.  Then I lightly oil selected parts inside and apply way too much grease on my slide using Mil-Comm TW25B oil & grease (NRA licensed product same as SigSauer grease).

I just used Kroil last night to help drift the front sight off of my Ruger 10/22 and I've also used it to remove barrel pins and the like. I agree that it is awesome to help you remove stuck components.  

For cleaning I've used primarily Hoppes and Rem Oil, and have recently starting using Ballistol in certain applications.  Have tried Frog lube but I am now using Mil-Comm since its made here in NJ and has the same non-toxic benefits of Frog Lube. 

Hoppe's is all I use to clean, except on stainless revolvers, then we use the lead scrubbing rags.

I've been using Tetra oil, but most oils will do if you clean regularly. If you are going to shoot 1k rounds at one time you need some good hi-temp oil or to apply oil while shooting.

I think the whole cleaning thing is a bit overblown. There are always product improvements and such but if you just keep up with reasonable cleaning you shouldn't have any failures. You don't have to EAT off of it.