papercutninja

PD Chief asking for reason for PPP expiration extension

I have a pistol permit that is expiring soon, so I dropped it off at the PD to have it extended as I have in the past. I get a phone call from the office saying that I have to write a note to the Chief explaining why I want an extension before he can sign off on it. This has never happened to me before. Anyone else encounter this?

Just tell him since it takes forever to get them issued you don't want it to go to waste and reapply and wait forever. Also explain that the firearm you wish to purchase is not in stock at the moment and should be available soon but reapplying would cause you to miss the opportunity when it comes in.

It is entirely at the CLEO's discretion. He can make you jump through any hoops he wants. Sounds like yours isn't being a total hard-ass and will extend once you provide a note. I would imagine it could be something as simple as, "I haven't found the gun I want yet."

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Quite common actually - just be polite and ask for your extension based on the 

fact that the HG your looking for has been on backorder and you are a collector.

You should have no problem as long as you are professional and to the point...........

I have a pistol permit that is expiring soon, so I dropped it off at the PD to have it extended as I have in the past. I get a phone call from the office saying that I have to write a note to the Chief explaining why I want an extension before he can sign off on it. This has never happened to me before. Anyone else encounter this?

When I moved to Monroe I had my first round of P2P's extended with no questions asked,Second round required a note explaining why I needed a extension . Third round of permits came with a note stating no extensions will be issued unless one can produce a receipt stating a firearm was purchased and will be delivered after the initial expiration of the permits.......... All within 2 years, so I would expect the same procedure to be the norm in coming years in townships with PD's that take a less than favorable view on our 2'nd amendment rights.

Anyone living in a town where the CLEO won't sign an extension, or is insisting on proof of a back ordered HG should contact the mayor and ask them why the CLEO is wasting tax payer dollars by not renewing these permits. The town only gets the $2 per permit to process your application (NJSP gets the $18), hardly anywhere near the cost to process the applications. By not renewing the permits the only thing the CLEO is accomplishing is getting town residents to apply more frequently, which ends up costing the town more money - unnecessarily.

What's disturbing here is that it seems a few towns have recently started this new policy of not renewing permits. Is it just coincidence that these different towns all of a sudden started this same policy or did this maybe come as a "suggestion" from the AG or someone else in the state gov't?

What's disturbing here is that it seems a few towns have recently started this new policy of not renewing permits. Is it just coincidence that these different towns all of a sudden started this same policy or did this maybe come as a "suggestion" from the AG or someone else in the state gov't?

As I alluded to in my post, I believe that township PD's communicate formally and informally and if like minded CLEO's see a way to curtail or delay legal gun ownership by not issuing extensions with or without the AG's blessing...they will.

I think this is just the beginning and we will see it as a norm in just a few years.

As I eluded to in my post, I believe that township PD's communicate formally and informally and if like minded CLEO's see a way to curtail or delay legal gun ownership by not issuing extensions with or without the AG's blessing...they will.

I think this is just the beginning and we will see it as a norm in just a few years.

Elude = to avoid, you eluded the police on your way home and were lucky to avoid a ticket

Allude = to imply, you alluded to your intent in another post.

This lesson brought to you by RIF, P.O. Box 33728, Washington, DC 20033

If your town won't extend your permit, then immediately reapply for a new one on the day the permit expires.  That ought to teach them about how to reduce their paperwork burden.

With the time frames in some towns ...I would be tempted to apply for more the day of pickup of issued permits... killing 2 birds with one stone...lol

Last time I simply said the firearm I was looking to purchase was out of stock currently but was expected in within the next 90 days.

Took the chief a week to sign it but he did.  Apparently mine was one one of the "nicer" letters according to the sgt. :)

Elude = to avoid, you eluded the police on your way home and were lucky to avoid a ticket

Allude = to imply, you alluded to your intent in another post.

This lesson brought to you by RIF, P.O. Box 33728, Washington, DC 20033

Thanks....changed it.

I would add something to the effect that "applying is a time-consuming process, not just for the applicant but for law enforcement that must follow up on the paperwork."