Albanian

Anyone have Tinnitus?

Yep, most of my life, all due to many ruptured ear drums and having tubes in my ears many, many times. Sometimes it's loud enough that I'm in my own little world and can really tune-out almost everything else. That can be good and bad. Drives my family nuts when I do it!

I've had it to some degree as long as I can remember. There was an interesting incident when I was 4 or 5 where I got into a nice long argument about silence being a particular sound.

For some folks, a nutritional supplement can make it go away because you are one of a group of people who don't produce a certain chemical compound, and the supplement metabolizes to that compound. Basically if it helps you take it forever as it comes back when you stop.

No dice for me, but I also subjected myself to lots of loud concerts in my teens and twenties.

I recently got tinnitus too. It's associated with hearing loss.

It all started back in September when I experience dizziness. The doctor's aren't sure, but they think that the auditory nerve became inflammed due to a virus and that caused some nerve damage.

The ENT explained the ringing this way... When you have a certain amount of hearing loss, say 25%, then your brain fills in the 25% with the ringing that you hear.

He said there really isn't anything that you can do about it. If you want, they can prescribe anti-depressants that will lessen the perceived ringing, but I didn't want to go there.

Other than that, he said you should get used to the ringing when your brain becomes accustomed to the lower amount of hearing that you have.

Right now, I hear it every waking second, so it's kind of annoying.

I do but it comes and goes (or maybe I just don't notice it sometimes). Had it long before I started shooting though, probably from many years of motorcycle riding before I started using earplugs when I ride. It got a little worse after I had my wisdom teeth removed a few years back.

Haven't found anything that stops it but doesn't really bother me too much either. I guess like a lot of things you just get used to it...

-Jim

I have noticed it a lot more since this thread was started. Thanks for reminding me.

Actually I can function pretty well with it, I just tune it out or focus on other things. It is bearable. I have heard of a few people that have it really bad. That has got to suck. I bet they have it bad, so it causes them to focus on it, which only makes it worse.

I have had it also for a long time.  Increased when my BP medicine changed.  Thought about it and only yesterday went to a new chiropractor and explained a bunch of symptoms associated with my neck and back pain from my truck driving days.  Well, was I surprised when she said it was all related and added the way I sleep to the list.  After a good 20 minutes or so of manipulation and a few instructions on changes I have to make, I went home feeling like I had been beaten up.  One thing I noticed, and continuing even this morning, the tinnitus is reduced by more than half.  I will continue this therapy for the present time to see if it continues to improve.

My GP had me seeing audiologist, who wanted all kinds of tests, medicine, etc.  Nothing helped. We will see what happens.  I am believing that modern medicine can only do so much, so I have begun to explore alternate ways of dealing with health issues.  

4th year med student.

Tinnitus is aging person is normal variant of life. Loud noises, sadly especially gunfire, will increase the amount and accelerate the process. And yes of course out music as many of you have mentioned.

There isn't really too much to do about it once it have occurred. To keep you from worsening or developing. Ear protection ear protection ear protection. I think the in ear plugs and muffs would be your best bet. If one is good two is better. But I know that some of you wouldn't like it. It is just a suggestion.

Sorry for the bad news. I get it myself from time to time. I notice that it improves if I keep myself in a quieter environment for a few days to weeks. Not silent just quieter than my normal environment by 1/4 of the dB.

If you notice it suddenly or it is really bothering you. I fully recommend seeing a physician. There may not be much but no sense in ignoring symptoms because someone in a forum told you it was normal.

Best of luck. Shoot safe.

KCCO

Jim

I've had it since I was a child. For the longest time I thought everyone had it. At least I know it wasn't in my control, but preventing it from becoming worse sure is. Every concert, every sporting event, every range trip, PLUGS. I don't care what anyone thinks.

Here's an interesting question for fellow tinnitus sufferrers: what does it sound like for you? How many individually discernable sounds do you have, and what are their relative pitches? Mine sounds like a sine wave tone and I have about 4 or 5, the lowest being somewhere around 800 hz and the highest being too high to estimate. Most of the time I don't notice it but I definitely need to sleep with a fan.

I also have a very moderate case of it. My fathers has it worse than me. We are both in heavy construction. My father takes Niacin and Citrus Bioflavonoid supplements an he says that it helps. His ENT gave him paperwork on some study that it helps the nerve endings in your ear.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I got mine in the military.  What I find helps for sleeping (since i HATE the TV on at night) is either a fountain or an app on my phone.  The fountain spills water and some play ambient sounds.  Thunderstorms are my calming noise and that sound plus the fountain I am able to drown out the ringing and fall asleep.  If you dont want a small fountain in your room there are relaxing sounds apps for smartphones and most are free.  You can set a timer and either have it playing out loud or in earphone.  Those are the only tricks I have found without turning on the TV.  With the TV on I focus on that and then can't fall asleep so the fountain and apps have helped me a good little bit! Good luck!!

Have it in my left ear for 10 years now. Certain white noise type sounds make it worse. Like noise from a room air filter running on high or a window air conditioner.

Just have to ignore it I only noticed it now from reading this thread, thanks! Lol

This is the only thread I found on hearing loss. Thought there would be more.

Question... what is the opinion on Q 21 of the FPID / P2P app... " Do you suffer from a physical defect or disease? " as it relates to partial hearing loss where you can still hear reasonably well? Answer yes with an explanation that it doesn't impact hear significantly? Or answer no since its more a wear and tear thing and not a specific disease?

And is this an issue for club membership. The assumption being RO commands can be heard clearly.

I get the sense that some amount of hearing loss is pretty common here.

I recently had to get a hearing test for work. My wife is always conplaining that I'm deaf. Turns out she's right. As the doctor was explaining the results of my test she paused, looked up at me, and said: "Can you hear what I'm saying to you right now?" I'm not that deaf, but apparently my test results were really bad.

As far as hearing the range officer goes, buy a set of electronic ears and turn them up. It's like having a hearing aid with noise protection.

Yeah, got a couple of sets of those. My issue is in one ear. Other one is near perfect. So helps a lot.

Just curious about how people address the app. I personally don't think its relevant. As far as a club, I'd would tell them my hearing status. Last thing anyone wants , especially me, is a safety issue. I'd want to hear experienced shooters' take on it. Safety is first order of business at the range.

I've had it for quite a while (working at Newark Airport for 28 years will do damage.) It's something I've learned to live with . I don't think there is any way to reverse the damage .

I've had 100x the noise exposure most of you have experienced. I must be really lucky. I definitely have substantial hearing loss but the tinnitus is gone like I posted in 2013. And I can carry on normal conversations with people in the same room and hear people in other rooms if there is not a lot of background noise.

Now I really take care to protect my hearing. Hopefully I luck out twice and it doesn't get much worse.

Between Drag racing, shooting my entire life without hearing protection until I got old enough to know better and working in the oil field and being around rigs and things like a 4000 psi well head being bled off...yeah, I've got it and some hearing loss.  I've recently read the Biotin may help...then I also read that some people got tinnitus while taking it for different reasons.   There is also an article about an Epilepsy drug  that seems to help.  Of course that is only for the most severe of cases.   (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-06/uoc-qtr062315.php)