The usual, AR, handgun of your choice, semi-auto shotgun. If you shoot out of state, you borrow gear from your out of state friends. Heck, if you go to major matches, you can just buy 3 pmags at the first gun store, and gift them to someone before you come back, at $12 each, who cares.  Such is life in NJ.

Specifically, if you really want to build it right from the beginning the current winning combination would be:

AR 15, 18" barrel rifle length gas system, carbon fiber handguards, match trigger, stock that fits you, and a 1-6 scope (the Vortex HD II is the current hot stuff). It also needs a really effective comp, the Rolling Thunder is probably the most popular.

Benelli M2 for the shotgun or maybe a Versamax. This is were you get screwed most because you can't borrow a longer tube easily although I guess it is legal to own one outside the state I suppose. The hot setup right now is a 10-12 capacity tube, with a 22-24" barrel and a pile of choke tubes, and some smoothing and tuning done by a competent gunsmith.

Handgun is really your choice, 9mm is the king because of capacity, most often on a 2011 platform, however there are a lot of people using plastic striker fired guns because they are easier to abandon safety in buckets and such. A .40 cal Glock or M&P loaded to minor power factor is fairly competitive even with 15 rd, because it does knock stuff over fairly well.

The rest of the equipment normally rides on a safariland ELS belt, configured to modular from stage to stage, but you will need 2-3 pistol mag pouches 1-2 rifle mag pouches (more if using 15 rd mags) and a tone of shot shell carriers. The current hot carriers for shotgun are the load-2 or load-4 systems, expect to spend a pretty penny on them and practice a LOT to know how to us them. Alternatively get really good at weak hand loading your shotgun from AP-custom 4x4 carriers or California competition works 4 or 6 shot caddies. If you are just starting, I'd focus on load-4, it is a lot faster and shotgun in 3gun is all about not missing and loading FAST.

The usual, AR, handgun of your choice, semi-auto shotgun. If you shoot out of state, you borrow gear from your out of state friends. Heck, if you go to major matches, you can just buy 3 pmags at the first gun store, and gift them to someone before you come back, at $12 each, who cares.  Such is life in NJ.

Specifically, if you really want to build it right from the beginning the current winning combination would be:

AR 15, 18" barrel rifle length gas system, carbon fiber handguards, match trigger, stock that fits you, and a 1-6 scope (the Vortex HD II is the current hot stuff). It also needs a really effective comp, the Rolling Thunder is probably the most popular.

Benelli M2 for the shotgun or maybe a Versamax. This is were you get screwed most because you can't borrow a longer tube easily although I guess it is legal to own one outside the state I suppose. The hot setup right now is a 10-12 capacity tube, with a 22-24" barrel and a pile of choke tubes, and some smoothing and tuning done by a competent gunsmith.

Handgun is really your choice, 9mm is the king because of capacity, most often on a 2011 platform, however there are a lot of people using plastic striker fired guns because they are easier to abandon safety in buckets and such. A .40 cal Glock or M&P loaded to minor power factor is fairly competitive even with 15 rd, because it does knock stuff over fairly well.

The rest of the equipment normally rides on a safariland ELS belt, configured to modular from stage to stage, but you will need 2-3 pistol mag pouches 1-2 rifle mag pouches (more if using 15 rd mags) and a tone of shot shell carriers. The current hot carriers for shotgun are the load-2 or load-4 systems, expect to spend a pretty penny on them and practice a LOT to know how to us them. Alternatively get really good at weak hand loading your shotgun from AP-custom 4x4 carriers or California competition works 4 or 6 shot caddies. If you are just starting, I'd focus on load-4, it is a lot faster and shotgun in 3gun is all about not missing and loading FAST.

This Post pretty much sums it up.

Bladetech has a system out to easily remove and replace mag pouches on your belt without removing it.

A glock 34 would be fine. People use all sorts of gear, but if you want to get really involved and start shooting some of the bigger out of state matches and be competitive you will need to make sure you have good equipment. The definition of good depends from shooter to shooter, for example Jerry Miculek can beat me me with a muzzle loader, so I won't say you MUST have X or Y, but when 90% of people are using the same X odds are it makes a difference.

A glock 34 would be fine. People use all sorts of gear, but if you want to get really involved and start shooting some of the bigger out of state matches and be competitive you will need to make sure you have good equipment. The definition of good depends from shooter to shooter, for example Jerry Miculek can beat me me with a muzzle loader, so I won't say you MUST have X or Y, but when 90% of people are using the same X odds are it makes a difference.

It can be anything, just as long as it is reliable.

Want to make sure your gear runs.