illy

So, pistol caliber carbines...

Thinking of getting one in 9mm.

Ideally a Ruger PC9 to go with my P95 pistol.

However, no longer in production, so I'd have to go used and they seem to be pricey ($700ish on gunbroker).

Anyone have any experience with one?

I'm also considering Keltec sub 2k, Taurus CT9 and Hi Point 995. Much cheaper entry point, mag compatibility is not that big a deal and they get generally favorable reviews.

So, what would you recommend?

The Ruger PC9 is the best of the bunch. Built like a brick shithouse, easy to shoot, hi-cap mags, decent trigger, accurate. Awesome gun. Go for it. You won't regret it. Those ruger mags are pretty cheap too.

I know they are a bit ugly but my hi-point carbine is amazing! It is one of the most accurate guns I own. It will tear out the same hole on the paper. You simply cannot beat it for a new production gun at that price. You might even be able to buy two of them in different calibers for the price of the Ruger.

I have the Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm. Right now it's by far my favorite gun, bit pricey right now I think. And I just bought a 92FS so I changed the magwells in the Cx4 to accept the same mags

I owned the Beretta as well. It is easier to be very accurate at distance with it. The gun is a tack driver. The Ruger is more of a closer quarters gun because of the bigger peep. It depends what you are looking for. I didn't care for the plastic everywhere on the Beretta. Only the stock is plastic on the Ruger.

I also own the Beretta cx4 as well and enjoy it a lot.  Some people complained about the trigger in the first versions but I didn't notice anything horrible about it.  Newer versions of it have textured forends which is nice,  and the main reason I bought one is you can switch it around the mag release, safety and ejection port for lefties.

I also own the Beretta cx4 as well and enjoy it a lot.  Some people complained about the trigger in the first versions but I didn't notice anything horrible about it.  Newer versions of it have textured forends which is nice,  and the main reason I bought one is you can switch it around the mag release, safety and ejection port for lefties.

The trigger isn't the greatest but you get used to it.  You can always upgrade that stuff with Sierra parts

Honestly (for my taste) the Beretta is the worst looking pistol caliber carbine out. And although I'm sure it's a great functioning gun (and an excuse to get an M9),  with those looks and that price ($600+), I just can't do it.

If only Doc Brown would finish that time machine so that I could go back and buy all the guns I want today while they were still reasonably priced production guns (I'm thinking this, Colt Python, Colt SAA, Colt Detective Special, Ruger Speed Six/Service Six, Ruger SP101 9mm...)

I have a Ruger PC4 to go with my P94. It is a good gun, accurate, reliable, fun to shoot and built like a tank. The down side was that the factory trigger sucks, it's got a heavy pull (IIRC mine was 18 pounds). I tore the gun apart and fixed that but in the process I broke a pin. Spare parts are not available anywhere; luckily a man on the forum made another for me. After the fact I started to read stories of people who have destroyed their rifles trying to do a trigger job. I'm not that good, I simply really lucked out and would not do it again.

Thats a nice deal, I say grab it.  I have the Hi Point 995, just a fun accurate carbine.  Eats cheap steel cased ammo like its candy and at 25yds with open sights it rips a hole the size of a quarter.  Feel free to shoot mine if you like, then decide if its for you.