Howard

What type of critter does this?

Well I cleared up the rock pile this morning and moves all the crap away.  I found a 2" to 3" hole right were the garage slab meets the asphalt, must be some animal with one heck of a set of teeth.  Got some concrete mix and packed the hole quite a bit so hopefully that will stop the critter, whatever it was.

10364791715_a2fbca631e_c_d.jpg

Well I cleared up the rock pile this morning and moves all the crap away. I found a 2" to 3" hole right were the garage slab meets the asphalt, must be some animal with one heck of a set of teeth. Got some concrete mix and packed the hole quite a bit so hopefully that will stop the critter, whatever it was.

10364791715_a2fbca631e_c_d.jpg

My name is Inigo Montoya. You keeeled my fadder. Prepare to dieeeeee.

My guess is what someone else said, large rats or a groundhog. Both love digging holes, but I'm dumbfounded about the whole pile of rocks haha. I've had issues with groundhogs before as every damn year one attempts to start a family under my shed. Nothing my lever action Henry can't take care of. I was shocked to see they clawed through some of the concrete footings as well. 

The rock pile looks like it's from the rock base that's spread before concrete is poured. If the critter got through a crack or hole in the concrete it probably had to dig the rock out of the way to get underneath. I vote groundhogs too, unless you are near a body of water, then I'd go with rock lobsters.

Actually we are near water, there is a large stream on the other side of our driveway.  I have a 4" drain pipe that is on a gravel bed under the driveway that takes water from the downspouts on the house down to the stream.  I think something that was in the garage dug its way out through the corner of the garage where the slab meets the blacktop and dug out through that gravel.  The new concrete I poured down the hole seems to have stopped whatever it was.