Combat Auto

Cat Habitat Professionals

Google catio, one of my customers had someone build him one for his house and it came out amazing and doesn't look like crap like some on google. If I see him again I will ask him for the persons number who he used. He told me it was simple that he could of done it himself but he works crazy hours so it was impossible. I was actually thinking of building one myself. But his is nice! He had it attached to I think his living room where there is a car door so the cat can come in and out on his own, and he can as well enter it from the outside. But like I mentioned his is nice looking from looking at it from outside it looks like a sun porch (and a very VERY nice one) but for cats.

Google catio, one of my customers had someone build him one for his house and it came out amazing and doesn't look like crap like some on google. If I see him again I will ask him for the persons number who he used. He told me it was simple that he could of done it himself but he works crazy hours so it was impossible. I was actually thinking of building one myself. But his is nice! He had it attached to I think his living room where there is a car door so the cat can come in and out on his own, and he can as well enter it from the outside. But like I mentioned his is nice looking from looking at it from outside it looks like a sun porch (and a very VERY nice one) but for cats.

Thanks EWC, that is in line with what i need...I'd really appreciate the number if you see him again.

I took her to the vet yesterday, because she was degrading fast and I felt the bump...They shaved her back near her tail and there were four teeth punctures/abscess they had to drain. Gave her a 2 week antiboiotic shot...Today, micicle cure, she looks funny with her new haircut but her personality returned with her energy, and she is already hounding me intensly to let her out. Outdoor habiate issue aside, she isn't going out for a few days. It will be interesting to see how she takes it (or I take it :-)).

OK CA, one more story.

The sister of our rescue #2 went to friends in Hunterdon county 10 years ago. They let her run outside at will for years. A couple months ago she got in a fight with some wild animal and was clawed and/or bitten in the hind quarters.

The result was $3,000 dollars worth of recurrent surgeries and vet hospitalizations for persistent infection of the wound and abdominal cavity. More interestingly, our friends report she has NO further interest in going outside. I wonder why?

My wife and I simply won't subject our cats to the risks of the wild. We do however make indoor life as interesting as possible. Even their free will must be subject to some constraints.

P.S. Who watches My Cat From Hell?

OK CA, one more story.

The sister of our rescue #2 went to friends in Hunterdon county 10 years ago. They let her run outside at will for years. A couple months ago she got in a fight with some wild animal and was clawed and/or bitten in the hind quarters.

The result was $3,000 dollars worth of recurrent surgeries and vet hospitalizations for persistent infection of the wound and abdominal cavity. More interestingly, our friends report she has NO further interest in going outside. I wonder why?

My wife and I simply won't subject our cats to the risks of the wild. We do however make indoor life as interesting as possible. Even their free will must be subject to some constraints.

P.S. Who watches My Cat From Hell?

OMGosh, All these horror stories of cat's getting hurt isn't what I am asking help on....We all know there is risk out there.

Let's make believe I started the thread this way:

"I have an indoor cat, but would like to creat a safe outdoor habitate for her. The Vet said freash air and more excercise will do her good".

If I solve the safe habitate issue, I likely will solve the roaming free issue (or at least it will help dramatically).

OK CA, sorry for the departure from topic. Sometimes I can't help sermonizing on that subject.

On My Cat From Hell there are frequently stories of people who have built their own Catios, as well as some professional jobs. A lot of ideas are on display. DVR some episodes when they rerun and take a look. Animal Planet sometimes has MCFH marathons where you can get a lot at once. And check the MCFH website; a lot of info is archived there.

Besides that, just use your imagination. You're a cat. What would you like? Tree dwelling, bush dwelling, or both? Grass growing in pots, wood towers to climb, places to perch and view, places to hide etc. A secure enclosure to separate the wild from the secure. Cool in the summer; warm in the winter. And...You're off! To Home Depot and the garden store.

And good luck with your kitty.

OK CA, sorry for the departure from topic. Sometimes I can't help sermonizing on that subject.

On My Cat From Hell there are frequently stories of people who have built their own Catios, as well as some professional jobs. A lot of ideas are on display. DVR some episodes when they rerun and take a look. Animal Planet sometimes has MCFH marathons where you can get a lot at once. And check the MCFH website; a lot of info is archived there.

Besides that, just use your imagination. You're a cat. What would you like? Tree dwelling, bush dwelling, or both? Grass growing in pots, wood towers to climb, places to perch and view, places to hide etc. A secure enclosure to separate the wild from the secure. Cool in the summer; warm in the winter. And...You're off! To Home Depot and the garden store.

And good luck with your kitty.

Thanks 45, Those are helpful ideas indeed!

I find this entirely too difficult to believe that you can't understand how people value certain animals over others.  I'm probably one of, if not, the only "tree huggers / animals rights" people on here and even *I* grasp this concept.

Your not the only animal rights advocate, protecting animal rights and rescuing animals is what I do for a living as an Animal control officer and Animal cruelty investigator. How ever I look at every animal the same. Dogs and cats are the same as cows, pigs or any other animal, to me. Many other cultures eat dogs and cats but these are not usually pets. There are farms that raise dogs for food the same way we raise cows for food. This practice is not wrong or cruel it is just not what you are used to. People in India think Americans are the scum of the earth for caging and eating cows. Your opinion is shared with many other westerners but really your views on valuing one animals life over another is a minority in the world as a whole.

Your not the only animal rights advocate, protecting animal rights and rescuing animals is what I do for a living as an Animal control officer and Animal cruelty investigator. How ever I look at every animal the same. Dogs and cats are the same as cows, pigs or any other animal, to me. Many other cultures eat dogs and cats but these are not usually pets. There are farms that raise dogs for food the same way we raise cows for food. This practice is not wrong or cruel it is just not what you are used to. People in India think Americans are the scum of the earth for caging and eating cows. Your opinion is shared with many other westerners but really your views on valuing one animals life over another is a minority in the world as a whole.

All I'm saying is to act as if you don't grasp the concept of how people can value certain animals over others is nothing short of bullshit. How you can't recognize how people will value dogs which have evolved over thousands of years to be companions to humans over say an animals raised as exclusively as food is ridiculous. I don't care what side you stand on but to not grasp that concept is really impossible.

All I'm saying is to act as if you don't grasp the concept of how people can value certain animals over others is nothing short of bs. How you can't recognize how people will value dogs which have evolved over thousands of years to be companions to humans over say an animals raised as exclusively as food is ridiculous. I don't care what side you stand on but to not grasp that concept is really impossible.

I understand the concept completely. But after traveling around and experiencing life in other cultures I just don't subscribe to that concept.  

http://www.purrfectfence.com/kit_instructions.asp

What do folks think of this?

Pretty cool idea but 2 things that come to mind are, is there a possibility of the cat getting a leg caught and tangled in the fencing? and if doing this outside you should provide cover for the cat to get away from hawks and eagles.

Pretty cool idea but 2 things that come to mind are, is there a possibility of the cat getting a leg caught and tangled in the fencing? and if doing this outside you should provide cover for the cat to get away from hawks and eagles.

Good Qs...I'll have to ask them about leg getting cought....Never had issue with birds here, and there are plenty of trees or the deck which she can hide under...Remember, non of us can avoid all risk unless we want to stay in a paded room 24X7 and have our best friend test our food before we eat it ;-).

Of course, if one has a super-duper Good Looking wife, you may not be able to trust your best friend either ;-).

Good Qs...I'll have to ask them about leg getting cought....Never had issue with birds here, and there are plenty of trees or the deck which she can hide under...Remember, non of us can avoid all risk unless we want to stay in a paded room 24X7 and have our best friend test our food before we eat it ;-).

Of course, if one has a super-duper Good Looking wife, you may not be able to trust your best friend either ;-).

I know no one can avoid any risk but one can take precautions to reduce risk levels. Also remember when putting an animal in an outdoor pen all animals have to be provided with the basics Food, Water, And shelter. Food and shelter are easy but you may need a heated water bowl for the winter as a frozen water bowl can be considered animal cruelty. Also something you may want to consider is using that fencing to make a contained area that buts up to your house and then providing a cat door. This would let your cat come and go as it pleases but not let any wildlife gain access to your house via the cat door. 

I know no one can avoid any risk but one can take precautions to reduce risk levels. Also remember when putting an animal in an outdoor pen all animals have to be provided with the basics Food, Water, And shelter. Food and shelter are easy but you may need a heated water bowl for the winter as a frozen water bowl can be considered animal cruelty. Also something you may want to consider is using that fencing to make a contained area that buts up to your house and then providing a cat door. This would let your cat come and go as it pleases but not let any wildlife gain access to your house via the cat door. 

You are stating  a lot of obvious stuff, and we are getting off on a tanget...Let me clarify, I never leave my Cat out when I am not home. The discussion should focus on building a Safe Outdoor cat habitate....Let me add: part time, cat comes in before dark, no water or food deprivation, no hawk attacks, no zombies, I give her suntaning lotion ;-), i take so much care of her it is unbelievable. Some of my nighborrs thing I am looni :-0.

I am probably the BEST Cat owner you might find...

So please, help me build a cat escape proof enclousure :-).

I am stating things that may be obvious to you but I don't know you so just wanted to let you know the minimum requirements in NJ for an animal enclosure. And every animal hoarder that I have ever run into claims to be the BEST animal owner. (not calling you a hoarder). I just figured I would add my 2 cents(with my knowledge of NJ domestic animal laws) to aid you in planning the construction of your enclosure. I apologize if any of my comments have offended you, this was not my intent. I wish all animal owners would take the time that you are to think out an enclosure for their pet. That would make my job allot easier and would save allot of animals from suffering.

I am stating things that may be obvious to you but I don't know you so just wanted to let you know the minimum requirements in NJ for an animal enclosure. And every animal hoarder that I have ever run into claims to be the BEST animal owner. (not calling you a hoarder). I just figured I would add my 2 cents(with my knowledge of NJ domestic animal laws) to aid you in planning the construction of your enclosure. I apologize if any of my comments have offended you, this was not my intent. I wish all animal owners would take the time that you are to think out an enclosure for their pet. That would make my job allot easier and would save allot of animals from suffering.

No offense taken. And no horder (I have 1 cat that is it)...I appreciate your input.

Cats are much more intelligent than dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Oh yeah - I mean there's that guy I ran into, we were pheasant hunting and he brought his cat along, that thing pointed and flushed the birds...  Or that other guy I ran into who used his cat to track lost people!  Or that guy at the USDA who used his cat to detect illicit food being brought into the country.  And then there was that guy who miraculously had a cat who went duck hunting with him and would retrieve the ducks from water.

Miracles I tell you!  Absolute miracles.

Actually what annoys me the most is that it seems cats are really really good at reproducing and apparently their owners really have not got the message that ALL CATS should be spayed/neutered.  No matter what shelter I go to, the amount of cats, and specifically kittens, well, the numbers are just astounding, and many shelters are to the point that they no longer accept kittens.  They reach shelter capacity quickly and just are not adopted out at a rate equal to intake.

I decided to go with a outside enclosed yard...Initially she will get aboyt 2/3 of 100x100 to roam...And later some more in the front via special enclosed pathways...

I think this is the best solution, to maintain her free spirit, and manage risk...

I have a great handyman that will do this. He does fences so this is not much of a streatch to make it cat-proof. He put a great, aluminam pull down lader to the attack for me after the Big Sandy Storm last year and does great work. (I figured I needed an escape hatch :-).

I am very happy about this decision; implimentation is relatively easy.

Thanks for the help folks!