NYMetsFan86

CDNN Sports has 10 and 15rd pinned mags $8.99

Here's the way I see it (MY OPINION) and I'm pretty sure the NJSP will agree.  If you buy a 15 rd magazine from a commercial source and it is or has been modified to accept no more than15 rds. you should be legal.

If you modify that magazine in anyway that would allow increased capacity you have broken the law.

Your opinions please.

Ive always looked at it as if a LE were to inspect a magazine and it could only take 15 rds..and to get it accept more than 15 would require some tools, time and possible damage to the mag then your GTG. There just so much room for interpretation with the law..Just my .02 cents

The LAW says 15 rounds max. It says nothing about temporary or permanent. NJ dealers risk their license if they sell temp mags because they are guided by the Admin Code. Out of state dealers such as CDNN and MTN Armory (Midwest PX excluded) can sell what they want and pass it off as NJ legal. The consumer unknowingly assumes the risk.

The Admin Code still doesn't address permanent. Is a pin a roll pin? A pop rivet is most certainly not a pin. Has the law established that a pop rivet is a pin? I don't believe that to be the case.

Full Definition of RIVET
:  a headed pin or bolt of metal used for uniting two or more pieces by passing the shank through a hole in each piece and then beating or pressing down the plain end so as to make a second head

In a world where us Nj guys want more companies to make 15 round mags I can't believe someone would call these guys to tell them to NOT to sell to us.

Unreal

This is simply my opinion on this situation.

I would love it if every company made NJ legal mags. It would create a very competitive market. Here is where my issue is. IMO the CDNN mags are illegal. If someone is selling an inferior item that could possibly land someone in jail complaining about a company that claims to be in compliance with NJ is a legit complaint. If you want to save a few bucks by buying a questionable magazine........... Be my guest.  

I personally think that Midwest PX and PK90's mags are the best and make a superior quality product. I think that Ty and PK both put a lot of time into their products to make sure none of us possibly get hung up.

I would not buy any of these so called questionable magazines from any other site that has no true interest in whats a quality product and exceeds the requirements for us here.

I ordered a couple to get over the $99 free shipping offer 2 weeks ago.  I did not bother to look at the pic of em closely before ordering.  I will not be using them.  I believe that it is just a pop rivet blocking the follower.  The bottoms come right off and thats all I can see.  There is no mag block.  

Midwest PX's mags are much better, or 10rd mags like others suggested.

Full Definition of RIVET

:  a headed pin or bolt of metal used for uniting two or more pieces by passing the shank through a hole in each piece and then beating or pressing down the plain end so as to make a second head

Ok, when you fasten two or more pieces of metal together with a rivet is it considered to be pinned or riveted?  When an adjustable stock is modified to a specific length with a roll pin is it considered riveted or pinned? To me, it is a stretch to call a rivet a pin based on your definition.  I am speaking about pop rivets that are used in the CDNN magazines.  Your definition is too generic, more applicable to manufacturing.  A pop rivet has two components, a pin and a rivet head.

Ok, when you fasten two or more pieces of metal together with a rivet is it considered to be pinned or riveted?  When an adjustable stock is modified to a specific length with a roll pin is it considered riveted or pinned? To me, it is a stretch to call a rivet a pin based on your definition.  I am speaking about pop rivets that are used in the CDNN magazines.  Your definition is too generic, more applicable to manufacturing.  A pop rivet has two components, a pin and a rivet head.

what does a stock have to do with this conversation? to the best of my knowledge NJ does not specify what is considered a fixed stock. Also the definition I gave is the Merriam Webster definition of what a Rivet is. A Rivet is a pin. You can have multiple types of pins. A roll pin, a safety pin and (according to MW) a rivet.

Edit: And I'm not trying to be a smart ass. but I'll put it this way. If my boss tells me that a job specs that everything has to be threaded and I can't weld it and I go ahead and braze it..... I technically welded the metal but used a different technique to complete the job. I would be wrong because brazing and welding are one in the same just 2 different types of welding.

It's sounding and turning into another Democrat / Republican debate!  Now I know why some of the surrounding states make fun of us when it comes to our gun laws.  One thing I'm going to do is ask my NJSP neighbor for the facts.  You all have a great weekend...

Roll pins(tension pins) are OK for stocks but pop rivets are no good for magazines?

Suck on that for a while....  Doesn't make sense...

+1  Thank you Sir! I have been thinking of the same! I am guessing the magazine and stock laws were written in order to let legal gun owners modify and keep their property when said laws were incorporated. I might be wrong though. 

My personal opinion is that if the magazine is plastic,and originally designed to hold more than 15 rounds you would have to epoxy the pin and the bottom of the mag, so that neither could be removed without destroying the mag -i think this clearly indicates the owners intention that the alteration is permanent.

If the mag is metal, and originally designed to hold more than 15, you would need to weld the pin and epoxy the bottom so that neither could be removed without destroying the mag, and you comply.

I am less than clear if the mag is metal, if there is another way to comply. Although I know for a fact, that with metal mags, some FFL's have simply added an internal block, epoxied, the bottom and dremeled off any reference on the mag to a number greater than 15.

It seems to me that the purpose of the law is to avoid a temporary  situation, where, with relative ease, the mag could be made to accept more than 15. I am not aware of any court opinion in NJ interpreting the Statute and Administrative Code on this.

The letter from the State Police on this subject, is not very specific, because it does not get down to the nuts and bolts, of what is really acceptable other than to contrast temporary with permanent.

Is Jakie going to do the time for you at The Hotel Rahway when the crap comes down?

I think not.

Stick with PK90's 15 rounders. They truly are good to go.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing if these mags are legal.  What I will add is that if they are in fact illegal, Jakey will have committed a federal offense since he shipped an illegal product over state lines.  Either Jakey has a good lawyer and a legit product or a huge pair of hairy brass balls.  If it turns out these are illegal, Jakey will be going on holiday courtesy of the federal government.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing if these mags are legal. What I will add is that if they are in fact illegal, Jakey will have committed a federal offense since he shipped an illegal product over state lines. Either Jakey has a good lawyer and a legit product or a huge pair of hairy brass balls. If it turns out these are illegal, Jakey will be going on holiday courtesy of the federal government.

I don't believe it's a federal offense. I've read that retailers in other states don't necessarily have to comply with our states laws.

I don't believe it's a federal offense. I've read that retailers in other states don't necessarily have to comply with our states laws.

You are correct in one regard.  They do not have to comply with NJ law in their state, but once they ship something over state lines to a non-compliant "ban" state, it becomes a federal issue.  As I said, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the legality.  Just who gets involved if there is a legal issue.

Damn this thread is still going? And how many threads do we need on modified mags...

The whole 'altered magazine' thing is such a grey area, like many gun laws in NJ, you won't ever know unless it's tried in court or something of the sort. Just like Paul stated,

Pinned, blocked, welded, JBwelded, superglued, wood blocked, stuffingasupermantoyinthebottomofa30rderandbeingabletofit15rdsin. We all know that any of these can be reversed. "Permanently altered" can mean whatever you think it does, more so what the judge thinks. Ultimately, if a person wants to mess around with these types of modified mags, then just like Paul said, the consumer knowingly or unknowingly assumes any risks and will be held accountable.

If you don't want to play around with modified magazines, then go buy readily available 10rders or 15rders from Ty (MidwestPK) and Paul (PK90) and call it a day. It's a pretty easy option if you ask me!

If 15 round mags are legal in Jersey, why do the Jersey compliant ARs come with 10 round mags?

When the assault weapon ban went into effect all the manufacturers had to retool to make 10 round mags. It's far from cheap to do so. When the ban went away they went back to making standard capacity mags. They still has the ability to make 10 round mags so might as well right? Besides, some bench rest guys love em. We are one of 50 states. You don't think they are going to spend what could amount to a few million to make one state special mags? I know I wouldn't. So they slap a 10 rounder in to satisfy our laws and call it a day.