BRDSURVIVOR

Ruger Ranch Tactical #5848

The only evil feature on the Ranch Tactical is the flash surpressor as you note. There are no other evil features so this rifle is NJ legal following the rules for substantially identical. You can use magazines up to 15 rds with this rifle.

This rifle is basically the same as a Ruger GB in a regular stock with the bayonet stud removed. Totally NJ legal.

I have a Mini-30 Tac, asked the same question, and was told opposing answers. Most people on the forum say it's legal (in their opinion), a few said "no flash suppressors allowed in NJ"...  

My NJ FFL had no problem transferring the rifle to me.

An RTSP employee told me to "be careful with that- no flash suppressors allowed in NJ"  (this seems to be the consensus of shooters who don't actually KNOW for sure).  Another NJ FFL told me "you can't have that in NJ because of the FS", when I asked how he knows that, he replied "a trooper buddy told me".

From everything I've read over the years, the "flash suppressor is always illegal" is NOT part of written NJ law, but apparently in a letter the "head jerk" in Trenton, whoever is the "boss" of firearms law, wrote in a letter to someone that flash suppressors are always illegal, even if they are the only evil feature. However, this was the interpretation of the law by the "head jerk", as it is NOT written in the law that way.

I no longer care. I can read what the actual law says. I'm keeping my Mini-30 Tac.

Just like the others said......it is NJ legal as it stands with a 5 or 10 round mag (15 if you can find someone who makes them).  Just keep in mind that you will not be able to legally retrofit any type of pistol grip style stock on it afterwards since it already has the one extra allowed evil feature (flash suppressor).  I have this exact same model and its a nice little rifle.  If you can't find any in stock in your area you could hit up some of the FFL's on this site or call and see if anyone could get one from their distributors.  They are listed as being "allocated" on the Davidsons website so I'm not sure what the wait time would be.

Any "two" of the. "Five" evil features.

Detachable box magazine

Pistol grip

Adjustable - collapsable stock

Bayonet lug

Flash suppressor

Since you are starting with the box magazine, just one additional "feature" is allowed.

Folding stocks however, are a whole 'nuther game.

Detachable box magazine

Pistol grip

Bayonet lug

Flash suppressor

Since you are starting with the box magazine, just one additional "feature" is allowed.

If I could mark this as the top answer, this would be it.

It is not listed by name on the "assault weapon" banned list and does not meet the criteria set forth by N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 Definitions as an assualt firearm.

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be

"substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it

meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least

two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash

suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

Guys, I'm not disagreeing with any of you- that is indeed what the LAW ITSELF states.  But I remember a thread about this very subject on this foum, I wish I would have bookmarked it, where someone actually posted the letter written by some head honcho in Trenton stating that flash suppressors are expressly forbidden in NJ.  Regardless if they are the only "evil feature". I wish someone who remembers this thread would chime in with more info...

It's one of those "you are right by the law, but do you want to end up in court over it?" scenarios.  Guilty until proven innocent in today's anti-gun police state.

Are you sure it wasn't something else other than just a flash suppressor?  The reason I ask is because I've checked NJ laws and I cannot find anywhere where just a flash suppressor alone is listed as being illegal with a semi auto rifle.   

Detachable box magazine

Pistol grip

Bayonet lug

Flash suppressor

Not exactly correct. The detachable magazine isn't an evil feature.  Read the law posted by ChrisJM981.

A semi auto with a detachable magazine and 2 of the 5 evil features.

If a semi auto doesn't have a detachable magazine (think SKS) you can add all the evil features.

Are you sure it wasn't something else other than just a flash suppressor?  The reason I ask is because I've checked NJ laws and I cannot find anywhere where just a flash suppressor alone is listed as being illegal with a semi auto rifle.   

That's correct- it's NOT in the written law; it was in a letter from NJ's... attorney general?  idk, whoever it is in Trenton who is the head of this stuff..... he wrote a letter, and that letter, or portions of it, were posted here.  I wish I knew who posted it.  The LETTER was telling whoever asked that "no- flash suppressors are not allowed in any circumstance".  I'm sorry I can't be more helpful...  

And for the record, I'm not disagreeing with anyone here... I own a Mini-30 Tactical. And since owning it, I have had several gun store people/FFLs/shooting instructors (instructor was at RTSP) tell me "be careful- you can't have that flash hider in NJ".    I guess they are all ignorant of the actual written law.  

This "letter from trenton" I'm discussing is just from memory, I've searched and googled, but I can't find it.  I guess it doesn't matter if the law is the law, but it would explain why so many people apparently think flash-hiders are illegal in and of themselves.

A semi auto with a detachable magazine and 2 of the 5 evil features.

If a semi auto doesn't have a detachable magazine (think SKS) you can add all the evil features.

So I can bubba my SKS with an adjustable stock, flash hider, pistol grip and keep my bayonet as long as the box mag stays? .......I wouldn't test that one personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

So I can bubba my SKS with an adjustable stock, flash hider, pistol grip and keep my bayonet as long as the box mag stays? .......I wouldn't test that one personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

It wouldn't fit the descriotion of substantially identical. You would have to be sure its 922r compliant for federal law.

For example, Yugo SKSs were being sold in NJ with the grenade launcher and bayonet two evil features. Legal because it has a fixed magazine.

It wouldn't fit the descriotion of substantially identical. You would have to be sure its 922r compliant for federal law.

For example, Yugo SKSs were being sold in NJ with the grenade launcher and bayonet two evil features. Legal because it has a fixed magazine.

Of course, thats only 2 features. My concern is the legality of having all of the evil features because there is no detachable mag. Grenade launcher, bayonet, collapsable stock AND a pistol grip..............Im shuttering just picturing all the evil :diablo: LOL

Of course, thats only 2 features. My concern is the legality of having all of the evil features because there is no detachable mag. Grenade launcher, bayonet, collapsable stock AND a pistol grip..............Im shuttering just picturing all the evil :diablo: LOL

It makes no difference under NJ law. A semi with a detachable magazine with 2,3,4, or 5 evil features is an AW. Take away the detachable mag and you could have them all.

Why not just swap the flash suppressor for a muzzle brake? Also make sure its pinned and welded, threaded barrels are also illegal here. Unless the flash suppressor is already welded to the barrel then its not removable, but probably illegal because its a flash hider.I saw a Mini14 and a Mini30 in stock today at Hackettstown Guns & Ammo both had regular synthetic rifle stocks pretty sure no pistol grip I believe that is the ranch rifle model?

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Why not just swap the flash suppressor for a muzzle brake? Also make sure its pinned and welded, threaded barrels are also illegal here. Unless the flash suppressor is already welded to the barrel then its not removable, but probably illegal because its a flash hider.I saw a Mini14 and a Mini30 in stock today at Hackettstown Guns & Ammo both had regular synthetic rifle stocks pretty sure no pistol grip I believe that is the ranch rifle model?

Why swap anything if you don't have to?

I'm confused too, I was asking about a muzzle brake for my Mini 14 and got all sorts of replies that it looks like a flash hider.  Heck, it doesn't even thread on, it slips over the muzzle, replaces the front sight, and gets pinned in place.

Why would you need or want a muzzle brake on a Mini-14?

I have read that extra weight on the end of the barrel can help improve accuracy slightly by helping the barrel harmonics.

And because it looks cool.

I've had at least one Mini 14 around since they were introduced about 40 years ago. What size group does it fire from a cold barrel? If its 4 inches or less you're not going to get much better than that. I seriously doubt that adding a few iounces at the end of the barrel will do anything to improve accuracy. If it did everyone would be doing it.

If you want to do something to improve accuracy with our Mini 14 get something like the Accustrut. Bolts on and it makes your Mini look more like a M14 (kind of cool I guess).

You also need to accept the Mini 14 for what it is, a modern M1 carbine with a better cartridge not a battle rifle.

Threaded barrels are not illegal....

Detachable mag is not an evil feature...

The way the law works is simple....

Is the gun banned by name? If so it's illegal...

If it's not banned by name then check the following...

IF it is a semi auto gun WITH a detachable mag

It can have ONE evil feature and still be legal....

That is how the law is written....

I've had at least one Mini 14 around since they were introduced about 40 years ago. What size group does it fire from a cold barrel? If its 4 inches or less you're not going to get much better than that. I seriously doubt that adding a few iounces at the end of the barrel will do anything to improve accuracy. If it did everyone would be doing it.

If you want to do something to improve accuracy with our Mini 14 get something like the Accustrut. Bolts on and it makes your Mini look more like a M14 (kind of cool I guess).

You also need to accept the Mini 14 for what it is, a modern M1 carbine with a better cartridge not a battle rifle.

The muzzle brake is just one many things I plan on doing to this rifle.  I plan on doing a barrel strut made by Accuracy Systems that incorporates an adjustable gas block.  Adjusting the gas pressure slows down the operating rod and beats up the receiver less when the rod slams home.  It also drops the brass at your feet instead launching it half way down the firing line.  I also plan on having the barrel and receiver cryo-treated, as well as having the action bedded in the stock.  I have already done a trigger job.

I know that it's by no means a bench rest rifle.  I'd like to make it better without losing the reliability it's known for, without spending a fortune.

Threaded barrels are not illegal....

Detachable mag is not an evil feature...

The way the law works is simple....

Is the gun banned by name? If so it's illegal...

If it's not banned by name then check the following...

IF it is a semi auto gun WITH a detachable mag

It can have ONE evil feature and still be legal....

That is how the law is written....

thought you had to pin and weld a muzzle brake or compensator? And the reason for that was because you cant have threads on the end of the barrel?

thought you had to pin and weld a muzzle brake or compensator? And the reason for that was because you cant have threads on the end of the barrel?

ONLY if you have another evil feature, thats the whole point. The law doesn't care about threads at all, it cares if the threads can be used to install a flash suppressor.