BRDSURVIVOR

Ruger Ranch Tactical #5848

thought you had to pin and weld a muzzle brake or compensator? And the reason for that was because you cant have threads on the end of the barrel?

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

threaded barrel is not illegal.. it is an "evil feature"

they get pinned and welded because in most cases they are on guns like ARs that already have pistol grips... 

ONLY if you have another evil feature, thats the whole point. The law doesn't care about threads at all, it cares if the threads can be used to install a flash suppressor.

in conjunction with another evil feature on a gun with a detachable mag that is semi auto.. 

The muzzle brake is just one many things I plan on doing to this rifle.  I plan on doing a barrel strut made by Accuracy Systems that incorporates an adjustable gas block.  Adjusting the gas pressure slows down the operating rod and beats up the receiver less when the rod slams home.  It also drops the brass at your feet instead launching it half way down the firing line.  I also plan on having the barrel and receiver cryo-treated, as well as having the action bedded in the stock.  I have already done a trigger job.

I know that it's by no means a bench rest rifle.  I'd like to make it better without losing the reliability it's known for, without spending a fortune.

I wouldn't worry about an adjustable gas block to "save the receiver". I've seen Mini 14s with well over 50,000 rds through them that needed a barrel because the bullets were keyholing. Besides if you're concerned with maintaining reliability I would not screw with the gas system.

Its your money and you spend it the way you please but it seems you're planning on spending way too much accurizing a Mini 14 that I don't think you're going to see a lot of return for our mods. Add a few hundred to what you plan on spending and you can get an inexpensive AR or 223 bolt gun for accuracy.

What size groups does your Mini 14 shoot?

threaded barrel is not illegal.. it is an "evil feature"

they get pinned and welded because in most cases they are on guns like ARs that already have pistol grips...

gotcha, thank you for the clarification my dude.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

If you want to do something to improve accuracy with our Mini 14 get something like the Accustrut.

Never saw that, might have to give it a try.

Besides a S&W 3913  I once had, my mini is the only firearm I have that I can shoot better then it is capable of.

Never saw that, might have to give it a try.

Besides a S&W 3913  I once had, my mini is the only firearm I have that I can shoot better then it is capable of.

You mean shoots better than you are capable of? What size groups do you shoot at 100 yds?

You mean shoots better than you are capable of? What size groups do you shoot at 100 yds?

No, I mean I can shoot better then the rifle is capable of. 100 yards - maybe 6-8" groups :-)

I don't use it too much because I don't like the way it shoots.

Although, on a range day this past summer I put a Trijicon reflex on that I had sitting around and and that helped quite a bit.

No, I mean I can shoot better then the rifle is capable of. 100 yards - maybe 6-8" groups :-)

I don't use it too much because I don't like the way it shoots.

Although, on a range day this past summer I put a Trijicon reflex on that I had sitting around and and that helped quite a bit.

I think an Accustrut will take that down to 4" or less. I don't think you'll see much, if any, return from that other stuff you have planned. Bedding the action won't do anything as the problem is the barrel. If you want I can meet you at CJRPC and give you my opinion if you are really shooting up to the rifle's full potential.

I wouldn't worry about an adjustable gas block to "save the receiver". I've seen Mini 14s with well over 50,000 rds through them that needed a barrel because the bullets were keyholing. Besides if you're concerned with maintaining reliability I would not screw with the gas system.

Its your money and you spend it the way you please but it seems you're planning on spending way too much accurizing a Mini 14 that I don't think you're going to see a lot of return for our mods. Add a few hundred to what you plan on spending and you can get an inexpensive AR or 223 bolt gun for accuracy.

What size groups does your Mini 14 shoot?

I'm not planning on spending too much money, in fact I should have mentioned that I'm looking to do this cheap.  The biggest expense will be the gas block and strut.  I'm just looking to see if I can make this fun reliable gun into a (slightly) more accurate shooter, while maintaining reliability.  It's been a while since I've shot it, but I seem to recall groups in excess of 6 inches.  I've already got an AR with respectable accuracy and just bought an XBolt in .223.  If I can get this rifle down to two to three inches I'll be happy.

I think an Accustrut will take that down to 4" or less. I don't think you'll see much, if any, return from that other stuff you have planned. Bedding the action won't do anything as the problem is the barrel. If you want I can meet you at CJRPC and give you my opinion if you are really shooting up to the rifle's full potential.

Accustrut will help barrel harmonics

Bedding the action will help any rifle

Trigger job will help any rifle

Cryo treating will reduce hot barrel stringing.