Tom609

Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock for a M&P Sport

This would be my first update on a stock Sport. Has anyone done this with their Sport? Do I need any special tools? Would I be able to use the existing buffer, etc? If there are any links you could recommend I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I did one here it’s kind of a hack job but so far I like it, I could always change it. If you scroll down to #1464 you will see what I mean. You may be interested in this kit I just ordered it for my own build to replace the ACE Skeleton stock.  There turned out to be an issue on the ACE where the plastic bushing in the rubber extension cracked, that’s not good

There are differences between carbine length and rifle length stock hardware mounted on the lower receiver.  However, this has no reflection on the type of upper mounted on the lower.  Carbine uppers can be mounted on a lower receiver with a rifle stock setup.  There are a few exceptions but as a rule any upper can be mounted on any lower. 

There are differences between carbine length and rifle length stock hardware mounted on the lower receiver.  However, this has no reflection on the type of upper mounted on the lower.  Carbine uppers can be mounted on a lower receiver with a rifle stock setup.  There are a few exceptions but as a rule any upper can be mounted on any lower. 

Thanks for clearly that up, I thought that was the case otherwise it would be going back.  The way I understand it is you are OK as long as you NEVER mix the buffers & tubes, in other words never put a carbine buffer in a rifle tube and vice versa 

I honestly dont know about that.  You should be able to use a carbine buffer in a full sized tube, but not a rifle buffer in a carbine tube, due to size. 

But I am by all means, not an AR expert.  I typically use rifle buffers and tubes on mine.

If you use a rifle buffer tube you can not use the magpul carbine fixed stock unless you drill a hole into the buffer tube and basically pin the stock at whatever length you want. At that point you might as well as just re-pin your current stock.

Check out DSG arms.  They usually have them in kits.  Also aim surplus if you want to piecemeal it.

the DSG arms buffer tube kit plus a magpul stock is an insane deal.   I don't know how they do it..  HOWEVER, they do not offer the new FIXED stock in a package which extremely bummed me out..

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I ended up ordering the stock and kit from Brownells as Mosin Fan suggested.  I checked out youtube and it doesn't seem too difficult to swap them out.  I'll check back if I have any problems, but hopefully I'll have it installed and ready to try out this weekend.  I appreciate all the help.

Hey guys, I am essentialy in the same spot, and as I review what knowledge you all put out I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use either the fixed moe carbine stock or the moe fixed rifle stock by just unpinning the one that came with the sport or if it's absolutely necessary to change the tube no matter what. Im super anxious about messing with the tube as so many ppl report difficult times using the tools available with m&p models not working with castle nut. Thanks

Just wanted to add, it looks like the link to the kit mosin fan posted, the tube is completely round.. as in no square part on bottom for those states where you can adjust your stock.. may be this means the moe fixed rifle will not work with original sport tube?

The rifle stock requires a rifle buffer tube, the carbine stock requires a carbine buffer tube. Rifle stocks do not adjust, so there are no adjustment notches on the tube... they also don't have a castle nut since the whole stock tightens to the receiver.

The carbine fixed stock uses a carbine tube, so it is a hybrid between a fixed and adjustable stock.

Yes, as Jack said.  The new buffer tube is significantly longer than the stock one. You definitely can't use the same one.  It looks like the Magpul should easily go on, but I'm hung up getting the old stock one off. The castle nut is staked and I don't have an AR tool.  Since I won't be using the old stock, will I need to worry about buggering up the Castle nut using regular tools?  When doing a search, there is also mention that you have to drill out and unpin the fixed stock to get it off.  It would seem that once I get the nut off the whole thing should unscrew from the receiver, shouldn't it?

yes, once the castle nut is loose you can begin to unscrew the tube. Just make sure the detent spring for the buffer doesnt go flying.. Typically a solid flat head screw driver and a hammer can get the job done, but it is a less than ideal method and you have to be very careful.. You do need to find a way to secure the lower receiver in a vice or something..  that alone makes the job 90% easier.

If you have never taken a tube off of a lower receiver then it is important to remember to be careful to make sure you do not loose the buffer retainer and buffer retainer spring held in place by the tube and the take down pin and take down pin spring located under the plate the castle nut is holding to the back of the receiver. You Tube is your friend here. 

I successfully completed the change today.  There was no way I was getting that castle nut off without an AR stock wrench and I picked one up on ebay for $7.  The nut was pinned, but I used a small drill bit to remove some of the punch and the wrench did the rest.  From that point on it took 2 minutes to make the changeover.  It has a much more comfortable cheek weld and I can't wait to check it out this weekend.  Thanks again for all the help.