Sign in to follow this  
fordperf

New Ruger .22 is really stiff..

Just got a Ruger Mark III Competition .22, and while it feels solid and quality, everything on it is really stiff. Racking the bolt you damn near shred your fingers pulling the grooved bolt grips. The bolt release button you have to mash with your thumb hard (hard enough to leave an imprint in your finger) to get it to operate.

Now, I have not field stripped it nor oiled anything, and it has never been fired (other than the factory test round).. so I'm wondering, is this how normally tight new guns are?? Should I strip and oil it before shooting it? Can I expect it to ease up once it has some rounds through it??

Wait to you try to get that lower off of the barrel upper, or take out that main spring pin.  Tough the first couple of times.  Suggestion, look up Youtube videos on assembly and takedown.  Take your time and break it down several times till it gets to be easy.  They can be tricky buggers and have seen many a person get frustrated by it.  It will break in nicely.  Damn accurate and fun to shoot.  Consider Volquartsen upgrades to trigger group, well worth it.  Running mine now with FireCLean lube to see if it runs better, or easier to clean from those nasty 22LRs.

its always good to break down a gun when you get it, clean it, oil it and put it back together if for no other reason than to familiarize yourself with the workings of the gun.  i have broken down each one on mine when i got them so i knew how everything worked.  It also helps you if you take it to the range and have a malfunction, you will know how to strip it if necessary and fix/clear the malfunction. 

just my 2¢

as for it being stiff out of the box, not surprising. 

Ok phew :) It's a beautiful pistol and I don't want to screw it up right out of the gate! Thanks!

You have bought the most robust 22lr semi auto offered.  Shoot, enjoy and if it ever starts acting finicky, like after 2000 rounds...clean it.

To add to Old Schools post:

If cleaning it doesnt make it run great again, contact volquartsen for an exact edge extractor. 

Thats the only part I have worn out in 2 ruger 22's.  Other than that crap quality $20 part that you can change yourself in 10 minutes its a dam good pistol!

Enjoy

Ken