Sign in to follow this  
Rick_F

FN Five-seveN USG vs MKII & WTB

Hey guys.  I'm looking for a Five-seven USG model with target sights.  I happen to prefer the looks of the new one over the old.  I know it's been discontinued for a while, and is very difficult to find.  Hence, I need to ask, has anyone seen any at any NJ shops, or even online from reputable dealers?  Also. are there compelling reason to go with the MKII over the USG?  Should I expect to pay more or less for the USG model than the MKII?  Thanks.

I have both the USG and MK2 (also an IOM with the crazy trigger guard).  Both perform flawlessly and have 1000s of rounds through them.  Biggest difference is the slide has several changes making it more stout.  Out of the box, the MK2 trigger is smoother than a USG trigger.  Can't recall what the USGs break in stock form, but the MK2 breaks at 6# and is currently being tuned down to the 4# neighborhood.  I also noticed the mag follower has been redesigned somewhat.  Not sure the reason as I never, ever had issue with the original mags, and I have about 18 or so of them. 

I haven't seen ANY F-S in a NJ shop in over a year!  In fact, I criss-cross the country for work and BARELY see them anywhere... I do know where one can find a super clean, barely fired, used example of each an IOM, USG, and MK2 (not in all one place or State), but they are all commanding top dollar in the $1300-1700 range.  I guess it's good in that's half the price they were earlier this year during the madness... Now if we can only get ammo to feed the beasts steadily and not at an arm and a leg!

I have both the USG and MK2 (also an IOM with the crazy trigger guard).  Both perform flawlessly and have 1000s of rounds through them.  Biggest difference is the slide has several changes making it more stout.  Out of the box, the MK2 trigger is smoother than a USG trigger.  Can't recall what the USGs break in stock form, but the MK2 breaks at 6# and is currently being tuned down to the 4# neighborhood.  I also noticed the mag follower has been redesigned somewhat.  Not sure the reason as I never, ever had issue with the original mags, and I have about 18 or so of them. 

I haven't seen ANY F-S in a NJ shop in over a year!  In fact, I criss-cross the country for work and BARELY see them anywhere... I do know where one can find a super clean, barely fired, used example of each an IOM, USG, and MK2 (not in all one place or State), but they are all commanding top dollar in the $1300-1700 range.  I guess it's good in that's half the price they were earlier this year during the madness... Now if we can only get ammo to feed the beasts steadily and not at an arm and a leg!

Thanks for your reply.  I think I can locate a new MKII fairly easily, and at a good price at online retailer I've bought 2 other pistols from.  Quite frankly, I'd rather pay more and buy local, but I often like firearms that are difficult to locate.

I bought 500 rds of AE 5.7 from Cabelas today for $22/box + $5 shipping.  I bought a few hundred more last week from Gander Mtn for $25/box.  Also you can pre-order 500 rds of it from MidwayUSA for $200 or so.

On a side note, can you put the USG slide cover on the MKII?  If it's close, do you think it could be modified to fit well?

Beware, any mention of the Five-seveN may bring out a keyboard commando spouting re-posts from the interwebs about how the Five-seveN is the biggest mankiller since ever.

I know that this pistol is one of the few I am most looking forward to owning, eventually.  I have seen them locally in Hackettstown guns & ammo, and RTSP, though not recently.  I also noticed that Ramsey outdoor in Succasunna had boxes of AE 5.7x28 ammo, though not sure of price.

RTSP also had the PS90 at one point...feels amazing, I just wish they'd offer a factory mock suppressor over that stupid long barrel, like my GSG522SD has.

Thanks for your reply.  I think I can locate a new MKII fairly easily, and at a good price at online retailer I've bought 2 other pistols from.  Quite frankly, I'd rather pay more and buy local, but I often like firearms that are difficult to locate.

I bought 500 rds of AE 5.7 from Cabelas today for $22/box + $5 shipping.  I bought a few hundred more last week from Gander Mtn for $25/box.  Also you can pre-order 500 rds of it from MidwayUSA for $200 or so.

On a side note, can you put the USG slide cover on the MKII?  If it's close, do you think it could be modified to fit well?

Good to hear you can source the MK2 at a reasonable price.  Fun pistol no matter how you slice it IMO.

Personally, I'm not big on the AE, but may give it another try since I had a couple boxes from just when it was released.  It didn't chrono well, and was dirty as heck.  There's a entire CONNEX box full of FNH 5.7x28 that's been waiting forever to clear customs, and 1K of it have my name on them.

Regarding the slide cover, while not having attempted it, my opinion is no based on dimensions.