deerpark

Recommend a revolver.

Who knew there was so much into buying a revolver.  I didnt. 

The GP100 has been recommended quite a bit.  How does it compare to the SP101?

Big Brother - even more tank-like

If you see a used Colt .357 you should buy if it is not too banged up. I have a King Cobra and is is one sweet gun and the trigger is super smooth. Call some shops and maybe you can get lucky and find one. You can find them on gunbroker but you will pay more then it's worth.

If you win the powerball lottery then buy a Colt Python which is arguably the best .357 ever made.

Again... Where are you located?

L&H in Wall Twp. always seem to have more used revolvers than most gun shops I have been to, with the exception of NJFG in Rahway.

2 weeks ago they had a 6" Colt with an AMAAAAAAAAZING trigger... I think it was a .38 spl. not a .357. It was not a DA gun. Some SA only target gun.

Talked with the guy there & it was absolutely the best gun counter chat I have ever had. I wish I could remember his name. I will certainly find out next time I go.

On that note... I love my S&W Model 10, a lowly .38. Do not count out a revolver because it is "only" a 38. Feeding a .357 is expensive. You might wind up feeding a .357 a steady diet of .38spl anyway.

I'd buy a 686, either 4" or 6" barrel. I have two, a 6" and an 8 3/8". Shoot wadcutters through it all day long, like it's a .22LR. Move on up to semiwad cutters, little bit more bang. Try some .38 specials, nice easy round. Then try .357 magnums. Nice kick, nice flash, you know you're shooting something nice at that point. You can buy all that ammo everywhere, or reload it. Unlike a bottom feeder, you won't be chasing loose brass all over the range!

Options I would consider...

S&W 617 in .22LR

S&W 686 in .357 (can't go wrong)

S&W 625 in .45 ACP (a favorite)

Ruger SP101 in .22LR and .357 (versatile!  Best choice on toughness and versatility)

Ruger "Six" Series... Speed, Security, and Service... Speed Six is my favorite... not too big, not too small and fits my hand nice. 

Ruger GP100 can't go wrong, but I like the Speed Six, better!

Taurus 66, best budget one out there, 7-shot, tank-like

Others have really given you great advice.  I will throw a different angle on it.

Ruger GP 100 - Tank like, rough around edges, great value.

Smith Wesson 686, etc. - Cadillac of revolvers.  Great guns, a ton of them out there, a lot of models, work very well, reliable, good aftermarket.... but still a Cadillac. (ie no one gives a hoot).

Colt - Pythons, King Cobra, Trooper, etc. - some of the newer Colts are really the BMW of the revo world.  They are highly sought after, limited numbers.  They are awesome when they work, but.... god help you if they break.... they don't make any new ones.  A ton of cool collectible factor in them.

I have a bug for revo's, even though I dont shoot them much.  Colt King Cobra, Trooper Mark 3, Diamondback.  Have a few Smith Wessons, 686, 57, etc.

The smiths would be the go to guns to shoot, this way I dont feel bad wearing out a colt.  You can always go buy a new Smith Wesson 686 to replace yours, can't do that with the Colts.

Taurus also makes decent revolvers, but like Hyundais, they are it or miss... and well, you are still driving a Hyundai and older folks will not let you live it down, even though the warranty is awesome. 

The smiths would be the go to guns to shoot, this way I dont feel bad wearing out a colt.  You can always go buy a new Smith Wesson 686 to replace yours, can't do that with the Colts.

Taurus also makes decent revolvers, but like Hyundais, they are it or miss... and well, you are still driving a Hyundai and older folks will not let you live it down, even though the warranty is awesome. 

You won't need to replace a Ruger.  On second thought, maybe its because you won't shoot it as much as the Smith.

Rugers are, indeed, robust guns. But, don't make the mistake of thinking, because of the size & heft, that they are stronger than a S&W. Ruger firearm components are investment cast. S&W parts are forged - you can get equal strength with less material/mass using forging over casting. Not taking anything away from Rugers, just pointing out the difference and that many people labor under a misconception.

Adios,

Pizza Bob<------S&W Fanboy, but you already knew that.

I purchased a Ruger GP100 about 5 months ago. After putting several hundred rounds through it the tigger is much smoother now. I highly recommend the Ruger. I've seen them on Slickguns.com for around $550 which includes shipping.

The Smith and Wesson 686 is very nice as well. Trigger is suppossed to be very smooth right out of the box without any break in time.

I wouldn't rule out a Taurus either but I have never shot one so I can't really comment on them too much.

It really comes down to what are you looking to spend and what do you want to use it for?

No matter what revolver you choose, if it's a relatively new model make sure that you check that the barrel is properly aligned with the rest of the gun before you take possession and burn a permit. I bought a brand-new S&W 67 and only after taking possession did I notice that the barrel was canted/clocked to the left. After a trip back to S&W (under warranty) the revolver came back with minimal improvement. From what I have read this is not a unique problem with newer revolvers, particularly S&W. In fact, a friend checked her new S&W revolver after I discovered the problem and her barrel is also canted to the left. Hers is more subtle, but it's there.

Subsequently, I bought a used S&W model 19-3 in fantastic condition and haven't looked back. I think a good used revolver is a great option. Just my personal experience and opinion.

I found a gun shop with the S&W 686, the Ruger GP100 (and the SP as well), and the Taurus all in stock and in 4" as well as others, and they let me fondle all four as much as desired.  The Taurus had by far the nicest trigger and cheapest price and it felt nice and solid. It was made in Brazil. The S&W was a fine gun, also very solid and comfortable. It was the most expensive and had a rather stiff DA trigger pull. SA was not bad. Very nice too. The Ruger was as they say, a tank. The trigger was also a bit of a tank in DA but nicer than the S&W in SA. It felt better in my hand than the other two but I think that would vary with the hand in question. It was not as cheap as the Taurus, but quite a bit cheaper than the S&W. All had adjustable rear sights but the S&W and Taurus had Hi viz style front sights. It is available for the Ruger. I bought the Ruger, made in the USA and super highly reviewed.

Hope this helps

I found a gun shop with the S&W 686, the Ruger GP100 (and the SP as well), and the Taurus all in stock and in 4" as well as others, and they let me fondle all four as much as desired. The Taurus had by far the nicest trigger and cheapest price and it felt nice and solid. It was made in Brazil. The S&W was a fine gun, also very solid and comfortable. It was the most expensive and had a rather stiff DA trigger pull. SA was not bad. Very nice too. The Ruger was as they say, a tank. The trigger was also a bit of a tank in DA but nicer than the S&W in SA. It felt better in my hand than the other two but I think that would vary with the hand in question. It was not as cheap as the Taurus, but quite a bit cheaper than the S&W. All had adjustable rear sights but the S&W and Taurus had Hi viz style front sights. It is available for the Ruger. I bought the Ruger, made in the USA and super highly reviewed.

Hope this helps

GP100, the Goldilocks gun.

Love mine and expect my grandkids will still be shooting them long after I'm gone.

I overheard a guy at the range today telling someone what guns he had with him, and one of them being a GP100, went over to ask him how he liked it. He's had it about 8 months now and loves it. So, a few minutes after I went back to my port, he came over and invited me to shoot it a bit. Definately a good choice, and I can tell you that if all the triggers break in like that ... oh baby.

anybody have or know about the chiappa rhinos?

Somebody on the board has one - I want to say that it's Tony357, but I may be incorrect.

I don't find them blasphemous, just interesting. I'd love to have one to play with, but they are too much an unknown quantity to spend that kind of money for one. They have an entire accessories catalog with kydex holsters, moonclips and other items that make these attractive to competitive shooters. But it's hard enough to find someone shooting a wheelgun at an IDPA or USPSA match, let alone an odd duck like a Chiappa.

Adios,

Pizza Bob