Barms

Some towns are great

Just got a reference letter for the town of Denville. The included reply envelope was not only pre-addressed but it was pre-postage paid!! Now that's classy and good service for your tax dollar. Impressive.

Last week I heard a story about a town (will not name) where the clerk SENT A LETTER to the applicant saying please call us. He called ant the clerk justt wanted to tell them that one of the references hadn't come back yet. She went through all the trouble to tell the guy there was a hold up instead of just burying it and waiting. Remarkable again.

Long live the townspeople that do it right.

In Clifton, they give you the letters to hand over to your references. But given that I'm more than 13 weeks in for an initial FID (apparently my FID/permits have spent the past month sitting in a pile simply waiting to be typed up and signed by CLEO) I hesitate to put them in the "great" classification.

Bedminster provides self addressed stamped envelopes for reference letters........

My new town renewed my permits no questions asked while I waited .........I never had that happen before. Was glad I didn't need to go back to pick them up.

My town has a new Chief since last summer and I havnt done any permit apps with them since he took over, actually much longer than that. Now I'm not fast-tracking my mortgage anymore(paid off Wahoo!) and have some discretionary money again am interested in seeing how"his" process will work. We, my family, are thinking of applying en masse soon, should be interesting! Three initial apps +my pp's.

Went to my local police department today (Randolph) because I have two permits that expire early next week I wanted to renew.  Renewal was literally a rubber stamp process.  The woman at the window writes the date on it and uses a rubber signature stamp to renew them in about 60 seconds.

Haven't had a problem yet in Hawthorne! The 2 detectives that I dealt with were professional and courteous and no frills. No muss no fuss. The lady that handles the paperwork is a sweetheart. I always say hi when I stop in City Hall. I haven't gotten any new permits with the new(er) chief... but the old chief was a-okay. No holdups, no B.S. Can't imagine that the new(er) Chief would be any different. (Less than 2 months total and just about 1 month from submission of finger prints... I had a heck of a time getting an appointment for prints.) 

Clifton on the other hand... I haven't heard any real horror stories per se... but my buddy didn't have the smoothest time or shortest of waits when he got his permits. IIRC, his was pushing 6 months before it was complete. 

Why can't we get the press to jump on this and do an expose' by town to highlight this situation.  Can you imagine how quickly they would jump on this if certain towns delayed or restricted people's rights to collect food stamps or rent subsidies.  It would be a front page story.

Why can't we get the press to jump on this and do an expose' by town to highlight this situation.  Can you imagine how quickly they would jump on this if certain towns delayed or restricted people's rights to collect food stamps or rent subsidies.  It would be a front page story.

The press thinks it's wrong to own guns, so they're not going to help us any. If we could get them to do a story about the permit process, it would be better to do a story about how wasteful and redundant it is for these towns to need to do this archaic process in the first place. If NJ wants to insist on permits for HG purchases, it could be done at the time of sale by an FFL and save our police resources for something that is actually needed, like fighting crime.

Long live the townspeople that do it right.

Considering state law, Newton is pretty good as well. It's never taken more than four to six weeks. Everyone is friendly and professional. And they call when everything is ready.

Haven't had a problem yet in Hawthorne! The 2 detectives that I dealt with were professional and courteous and no frills. No muss no fuss. The lady that handles the paperwork is a sweetheart. I always say hi when I stop in City Hall. I haven't gotten any new permits with the new(er) chief... but the old chief was a-okay. No holdups, no B.S. Can't imagine that the new(er) Chief would be any different. (Less than 2 months total and just about 1 month from submission of finger prints... I had a heck of a time getting an appointment for prints.) 

Clifton on the other hand... I haven't heard any real horror stories per se... but my buddy didn't have the smoothest time or shortest of waits when he got his permits. IIRC, his was pushing 6 months before it was complete. 

Another vote for Hawthorne.  Mine was a little over a month or so, and it was mainly because getting the fingerprint appointment after 5pm was a PITA.

I cant complain about my town either borough of Hopatcong. They are fast. Last round of permits took 17 days. My initial FID card 15 years ago was about 25 days. Small town and I grew up with 3/4 of the guys on the job. I usually use two guys in the department as references (speeds up the reference process big time) I've never heard of anyone waiting forever here.

I would never get press involved in this. In fact, I am surprised "MOMs whatever" didnt already run campaign about "how easy <sarcasm>" it is to get a purchase permit in some of these towns.

What I DO want to see is NJ Gun Rights groups to grow a pair and put a "WANTED, ARMED AND DANGEROUS"  type bill board up about towns that treat law abiding citizens as criminals and give run around for months at a time.

BTW, if you like the way your PD processed your paperwork, how about buying pizza lunch or some donuts & coffee.

Saddle brook is awesome with permits. It takes a month to the day you dropped them off. The woman that handles them is always super nice and knows me now since I was there so often lol

I 2nd Saddle Brook. My last 2 permits took 3 weeks. 

Hoboken was A+ first time applying for an FID card when i was living there and they were very helpful and got it turned around a day after all the paperwork came back - called me and said my FID was ready and apologized because their laminator wasnt working but i could pick it up and come back in a week or so if i wanted them to laminate it for me.

Moved to Weehawken and they "lost" my paperwork for a change of address until i pointed out they cashed the check attached to it, had extra paperwork they made me fill out and a meeting with a detective, and then you have to meet with the chief when you pickup the card... the detective and chief were nice enough to deal with but it was a pain.

Hoboken was A+ first time applying for an FID card when i was living there and they were very helpful and got it turned around a day after all the paperwork came back - called me and said my FID was ready and apologized because their laminator wasnt working but i could pick it up and come back in a week or so if i wanted them to laminate it for me.

Moved to Weehawken and they "lost" my paperwork for a change of address until i pointed out they cashed the check attached to it, had extra paperwork they made me fill out and a meeting with a detective, and then you have to meet with the chief when you pickup the card... the detective and chief were nice enough to deal with but it was a pain.

Haha, I grew up in Hoboken, and mom owns a house in Weehawken. Hoboken was where Aitken was snagged, no?

I grew up with most of the guys who are now senior officers in the Hoboken police and fire Depts. The current fire chief once threw a dice at me during a game of Risk (he was losing Kamchacktka) and ordered me to go out into the street and retrieve it. He taught me to play chess, but I always beat him.