Luke_WO

Do You Get Your Guns Cleaned/Serviced? Where?

Not sure if there's already a thread on this. Don't think so, but please redirect me if I'm wrong.

I want my Remington 1100 cleaned. I bought it about 3 years ago and have put a fair number of rounds through it. Nothing insane, but probably a few thousand by now. Every time I shoot it, i do a simple cleaning. Take the barrel off and clean/oil any parts that I can reach. But I've never done a full strip/cleaning.

The gun had performed flawlessly until the last time I went clay shooting. A couple times I had FTE's where the spent shell would get caught up in the receiver as the bolt was closing, and my feeling is that this may be caused by dirty internals. Even if that's not the issue, it should be cleaned anyway.

I don't have the time to do it myself, and I'm nowhere near mechanically inclined enough to take the whole thing apart and deal with a complicated gas system on my own anyway, so... do you guys get your guns (particularly shotguns) cleaned, and where do you go to have it done? Also, what should I expect to pay for a full disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly? Any insights/experiences you guys have would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, im in 07052, Essex County, but willing to travel an hour or so if it's necessary.

Make YouTube your best friend.

Also, if you have an hour to drive out and an hour to drive back, it should be more than enough time to take apart your shotgun. It does help you have friends that can walk you through a breakdown or tear down.

I recommend learning it yourself to take down everything so you can get more personal with it.

Another thing to look at is the rubber oring that seals the mag tube against the gas piston, if that oring gets any nicks in it you can have some problems. But as bry@n said it's probably clogged gas ports in the barrel.

The 1100's come apart fairly easily, check youtube. Once you drive the trigger group pins out and gently pull the trigger group out of the receiver, you reach inside with your finger and squeeze the shell latch in and pull out the bolt carrier group.

Check youtube, easier to see than explain.

Just remember that after you clean it and are reassembling, when you slide the bolt group back into the receiver you need to compress th shell catch again, and sometimes you have to jiggle the bolt group up & down a little for the oprods to find their way into the slots in the receiver.

Good luck.

Appreciate the input, but I've tried taking it apart before, and it didn't go well. That whole business with the shell latch and bolt carrier really messed me up. It might be simple, but not for me. It's embarrassing, yeah, but I don't feel like getting frustrated and not being able to get it back together again.

I do check the O-ring every time I clean it. I'll check it again, though.

I guess I could just do a thorough cleaning as I can and shoot it again and see what happens.

Practice makes perfect. it may be difficult now for you to detail strip now but once you do it a few times you will get the hang of it. And like everyone else said You tube is a great tool. Every time I get a new gun the first thing I do is sit down in front of the computer  and detail strip the gun and oil it just to learn how to do it. and yes sometimes I have a hard time figuring out how something comes apart or goes back together and I get all pissed off but its a great way to learn.