Sign in to follow this  
jto966

Marlin 36 (wanted opinions and approx value)

I found someone selling a Marlon 36 supposedly made in the 40s It was owned by an older gentleman in who's in his late 60s 70s wondering what the value is and how these rifles are in general. Is this worth picking up for the right price

post-2026-0-40626400-1382620480_thumb.jpg

post-2026-0-45390900-1382620507_thumb.jpg

Barrel looks straight to the eye.  No nicks, gouges, dings, or worse around the crown.  The bore is bright and shinny, little or no dark spots, a few are OK on an old rifle, but I doubt you find any.  When looking down the bore you can see the rifling and it looks even, intact and edges sharp. No rust in the chamber, or receiver area.  Bolt is smooth and intact.  If it cycles smooth and easy, I say its OK. 

This is an older Marlin. I doubt there is any problem with it.  History has shown they function flawlessly.  By the "patina" (worn bluing) shown in the pictures and the general condition of the wood, I would say it was used regularly and taken care of. 

Should be a fine keeper.

How wud I know it has Ballard rifling?

It's a 1947 if that helps

Micro-Groove rifling was incorporated in their centerfire rifles in the mid-fifties. Prior to that, Marlin's had Ballard-type rifling. This is 6-groove rifling, cut one groove at a time.