Grapeshot

Considering moving to NC

What area?  I've been somewhat considering it myself.  It does get HOT down there during the summer months.

Wife is there this week looking at property. Anyone have any experience with NC gun laws? Anything I should be aware of? We are looking in and around the Sunset Beach area.

True story.

We stopped at a TGIF somewhere in NC on the way down to Florida this summer,must have been 3 am. In the rest room I decided to ask a young employee filling the paper dispenser how far was it to the South Carolina border, he told me and I mentioned it had been awhile since I've driven this far south and unsure where I was, He asked if I was from Jersey....surprised I said I was and how did he guess. His answer....."these day just about everyone in the Carolina's is".

I just moved down to NC in June, right outside of Charlotte. My wife and I are building a house, closing in December. I'm going for my CCW permit soon after. You need to be a resident at your address for 30 days, take a 6 hour certified CCW course, and the have your finger prints and background check done by the local sheriff. It usually takes about 30 days to get it, so I'm told, but they have up to 45 to get it done. NC actually has open carry but you do so at your own risk...if someone were to call the police you could be arrest for "going armed to the terror of the public." The big law people down here mention is if you have a CCW and you are stopped by a cop you are required by law to inform him/her you are carrying and show your permit. I've also been told most cops look fondly on those that do carry and it has been known to get you out of a speeding on occasion. NC just passed laws allowing for carrying at public gatherings, i.e., parades, etc., as well as movie theaters, and restaurants serving alcohol as long as you do not consume any. You can also bring your guns with you down to NC, no questions asked. There's a ton of ranges and shops in my area too. All in all it's a different world from NJ.

I just moved down to NC in June, right outside of Charlotte. My wife and I are building a house, closing in December. I'm going for my CCW permit soon after. You need to be a resident at your address for 30 days, take a 6 hour certified CCW course, and the have your finger prints and background check done by the local sheriff. It usually takes about 30 days to get it, so I'm told, but they have up to 45 to get it done. NC actually has open carry but you do so at your own risk...if someone were to call the police you could be arrest for "going armed to the terror of the public." The big law people down here mention is if you have a CCW and you are stopped by a cop you are required by law to inform him/her you are carrying and show your permit. I've also been told most cops look fondly on those that do carry and it has been know to get you out of trouble on occasion. NC just passed laws allowing for carrying at public gatherings, i.e., parades, etc., as well as movie theaters, and restaurants serving alcohol as long as you do not consume any. You can also bring your guns with you down to NC, no questions asked. There's a ton of ranges and shops in my area too. All in all it's a different world from NJ.

I believe.... but not 100% that they changed the law about CCW in any place that charges admission..    So now you can carry going into a Movie Theatre for instance......  

Although Open carry is legal, in the Raleigh area..... I never saw it.

I believe.... but not 100% that they changed the law about CCW in any place that charges admission..    So now you can carry going into a Movie Theatre for instance......  

Although Open carry is legal, in the Raleigh area..... I never saw it.

Yup, you are correct...you can go into any establishment serving alcohol as long as you do not consume any. All in all it is a pretty friendly state as far as gun owners go. They are looking to remove the purchase permit requirement next. You need a permit to buy handguns unless you have a CCW. No permit needed to long guns.

I almost moved to Charlotte due to work. Had a place lined up and things changed last minute. The only thing I didn't like about the area was the summer HEAT. I'd walk out of the hotel in a suit and by the time I got to the car in the parking lot, I was covered in sweat. Seemed hotter than Florida for some reason.

Oh and I found it funny one time I was there and they got hit with like 2'-3" of snow and the whole city practically shut down! People were going crazy as if it was a natural disaster stocking food and stuff. I was like, really!

I almost moved to Charlotte due to work. Had a place lined up and things changed last minute. The only thing I didn't like about the area was the summer HEAT. I'd walk out of the hotel in a suit and by the time I got to the car in the parking lot, I was covered in sweat. Seemed hotter than Florida for some reason.

Oh and I found it funny one time I was there and they got hit with like 2'-3" of snow and the whole city practically shut down! People were going crazy as if it was a natural disaster stocking food and stuff. I was like, really!

Was that the winter where some towns basically shut down because no one had a show plow or even snow shovels?

Carry laws are crappy but not quite as bad as Texas. They have most of the bad ones like public gatherings and demonstrations( I see somebody said that was recently changed but I would check, might only apply to places that charge admission I don't know), ALL state buildings and even the property, anybody posts a sign it has force of law, campgrounds are off limits as are most Game Lands, etc., must inform police you are carrying. Could be worse.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Check the NRA ILA as well (I didn't): http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/north-carolina.aspx

Jamie got it right. I have friends and family down there. If you do not have a ccw, it's like here. Apply at the sheriff's office, usually pick it up next day. Go get a ccw which after a short course, about 30 days. Once you get a ccw, no purchase permits are required. Your ccw becomes the cure all... Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to everyone for responding.  I was in Brazil last week for business and couldn’t access the forum, so I just read everything this morning. NC seems to be a VERY gun friendly state, so I am excited. I can finally get some of the toys I wanted (complete with evil features!).

Thanks to everyone for responding.  I was in Brazil last week for business and couldn’t access the forum, so I just read everything this morning. NC seems to be a VERY gun friendly state, so I am excited. I can finally get some of the toys I wanted (complete with evil features!).

I was talking to a North Carolinian yesterday at a dive site. There are some similarities to NJ (3 different background checks including pyschological). You do have to get the equivalent of an FID.  But the best route he says is to acquire a CCW. That takes the place of the FID and permits. Once CCW'ed, you should be GTG.