Shawnmoore81

Mountain lion in Berlin (possible)

Here is his exact words

I highly doubt it, judging by the ground cover. the pines in the background look like it could be from here, but not the ground cover--it doesn't look like a deciduos plant--more like a low growing evergreen.

I know multiple people that claim they saw one. Some trustworthy, some not so much. I know a 2 sightings in Carneys point, a bunch in gibbstown and some in Logan township. These towns are all connected by woods, swamps and farms. My game warden buddy's swears they are out there. The email I posted above was from the senior biologist for the south nj fish and game. If they didn't exist he would have said it. He just said he thinks the pic is from here due to the plants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A few people I know from Sussex County have spotted a mountain lion before. They've never captured a picture but I believe it.

I grew up in Sussex County and most people "heard" of mountain lion sightings, but never had any evidence.  Even the rangers at Waywayanda state park told us they had seen them in the park.  This was back in the late 70's though so I can't comment personally as to whether or not it was true.  There was also a "lion habitat" type park in the area, and some people speculate that it may have been an escaped animal form that park. 

Why are these pics always fuzzy as shiznit?  Does the mountain lion channel Bigfoot's antifocus ability?

Low light. I still doubt it though. If that thing was really around you would know it. Quite a few pets would be missing.

I have seen a mountain lion in Sussex County. I've seen bobcats, too.  I can tell you that that cat was so fast when it realized I had seen the cougar, that had I have had a camera up and ready to take the photo, there is no way I would have gotten the shot.  These cats are secretive.  

I could care less who believes me, and I don't think that with all of the sightings there are that many "pets" out there.  I know what I saw, and in some ways it has changed the way I hike, etc...  especially when my kids are out and about.  There is plenty of deer and still a lot of large tracks of land, yes, even in NJ.  There cannot be that many, and, these large cats have a range of nearly 100 miles.  What was it, a couple of years ago and just a fluke that one was hit by a car in Connecticut, certainly not too far from Sussex, NJ. 

I've seen several coyotes in my town (Stratford) over the last couple of years, and more recently, a fox. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a cougar in the Berlin area. Quite a bit of woods around there with a good population of game it could feed on.

They can cover quite a bit of territory. Possibly this one wandered in from a less populated area (Pine Barrens).

On occasion, we see big cat tracks on the ranch in Tx, but have never seen the big kitty itself. I have heard through other ranchers out there that there is a mountain lion around, some complained about losing livestock to one a few years ago.

To the best of my knowledge, we haven't lost any livestock to predators, but we have Great Pyrenees with our herds, and they keep the critters away.