Nucrunner

Any chance of opening a conversation on the M1 Garand?

Any chance of opening a conversation on the M1 Garand?

I’ve been looking at a couple in a LGS, I’m interested in owning one as a shooter (keeping in mind that any M1 Garand will have historical value).

My intention is to use it as a shooter, I’d like to compete in 300 yard shoots at my range.

The shop has 4, (I am told) they are all collector grade.

Two Springfield’s with serial numbers in the 35xxxx... range and two H&R’s in the 56xxx...

The SA’s are a bit lower in price, one of them has the arrangement for the grenade launcher (the medallion is attached to the stock, the launcher apparatus is separate). (I’ve already decided that since my primary reason to own one is as a shooter, that I would not get the one with the grenade launcher).

All four have the circled P armory stamps, the H&R’s have the eagle with the stars cartouche stamps.

The actions on all of them are smooth, all barrels are stamped as made in the early to mid 50’s, wood is nice all of them (the H&R’s are darker).  

I know and trust the LGS owner, he has assured me that the throat erosion (<2 I believe he said)) along with the “collector grade” assure me that any of these four will make a good “shooter” and hold value.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to “pull the trigger” on this Monday, any comments or suggestions…?

Thanks,

At SJSC, with the shooting house setup on the 300yd range, the only 300yd Hi Power matches are the Frozen Nutz series (starting soon, on Nov 17) which is all prone from inside the house.  A Garand would be at a severe disadvantage in that type of match.

On the other hand, when April rolls around, the 200yd Across The Course (offhand slow fire, rapid sitting, rapid prone, and slow prone stages) matches will begin.  That's where you'll have a metric ton of fun with it.

Always the Third Sunday of the month at SJSC. First shot at 0900, registration opens an hour before.

Or come down to Cumberland Riflemen next season and shoot the CMP and Vintage Rifle matches.  Also a lot of fun.

I've been looking at CMP, as far as I can tell I meet requirements.

I'm going to apply, but it seems to be a bit of a potshot, and looks like it would take some time.

I feel with the collector grade from the LGS, I'll have at least one sure thing.

At SJSC, with the shooting house setup on the 300yd range, the only 300yd Hi Power matches are the Frozen Nutz series (starting soon, on Nov 17) which is all prone from inside the house.  A Garand would be at a severe disadvantage in that type of match.

Not sure I understand why the Garand would be a severe disadvantage from a potential position inside the house - is the weight of the weapon the problem?

You'd be at a disadvantage shooting against the precision calibers and rifles that come out for theFrozen Nutz series.

Let's face it, the M1 Garand is not a tack driver, it's a battle rifle.

It's quite effective at its designed purpose, which doesn't happen to include anything near sub-MOA accuracy.

So when you get it, practice with it. Practice reloading for rapids (2 then 8). Get a single shot adapter so you can load one at a time for slow fire (which is a requirement for Frozen Nutz, btw). Practice sitting (or kneeling, your choice), prone and unsupported (no sling) standing.

I hope you're a reloader, because match quality 30-06 ammo is not cheap (or widely available).

After all, it IS a Vintage Service Rifle, isn't it?

You'd be at a disadvantage shooting against the precision calibers and rifles that come out for theFrozen Nutz series.

Let's face it, the M1 Garand is not a tack driver, it's a battle rifle.

It's quite effective at its designed purpose, which doesn't happen to include anything near sub-MOA accuracy.

So when you get it, practice with it. Practice reloading for rapids (2 then 8). Get a single shot adapter so you can load one at a time for slow fire (which is a requirement for Frozen Nutz, btw). Practice sitting (or kneeling, your choice), prone and unsupported (no sling) standing.

I hope you're a reloader, because match quality 30-06 ammo is not cheap (or widely available).

After all, it IS a Vintage Service Rifle, isn't it?

Thanks njJoniGuy,

That's good advice, that is some of the conversation I was looking for...

My intention is to practice, have some fun, and maybe learn some military history along the way.

Maybe I should be setting my sights on the 200 yard Across the Course shoot you mentioned in an earlier post.

I have some friends going to a military shoot down at Wenonah Gun range today (I'm on 'hot standby" - in case of a cancelation (limited guest)).

Would/could you make a call (in general) on a mid fifties H&R over an early fifties SA for a few hundred dollars difference in price?

Do you shoot on one of the teams for SJSC?

Yes, I shoot with the SJSC 100yd team in the Tri County Rifle League.

I try to shoot as many of the Across the Course matches at SJSC and Cumberland as time and funds allow during the season (Apr-Oct)

This past season I started shooting the 3x600 Midrange Prone matches at Cumberland, and boy is that fun!

I shoot .223 Match Rifle exclusively in competition being a left handed old guy.

I don't own a Garand, and as a reloader in these times of dubious component supply, I'm not sure I want to open another caliber (30-06 Sprgfld) so I'm not actively looking for one. Now if one fell into my lap, of course I'd have to reconsider ;-)

As far as your choices go, there are many others who know much more than I do.

I probably will not be at the first Frozen Nutz match on Sun Nov 17 due to some medical issues I'm taking care of, but come down to SJSC and ask Shayne (the match director) your questions. If he can't answer them, he'll direct you to one of the other shooters who can.