Sign in to follow this  
Njbanshee

Cz/vz 52

I see it listed as both. If you do a search on gun broker , more rifles come up under cz 52. In a surplus rifle forum it's even listed under cz. I'm looking to argue about cz or vz, but I would like to know your thoughts on the rifle. Let's call it vz 52 then.

It's a vz 52, which stands for "vzor" which is Czech for "model" CZ is the manufacturer. These are also sometimes call the "she" rifle.

But to answer you initial question, they are interesting as a collector piece, but you'll need to scrounge for ammo, as only surplus is available. The ammo was made in both lacquered steel case and brass, both Berdan primed, so reloading is not simple. I find the lacquered steel case ammo sometimes gets sticky when the gun heats up and can cause feeding issues, but this would not be unique only to this rifle. There are chamber inserts to allow shooting 7.62 x 39 ammo, but I've heard they can be problematic.

I think it's a cool rifle. Definitely different. The average gun owner isn't going to have one. My main draw to it is that the barrel can be changed out to 7.62x39, which I believe makes it vz 52/57. I'm thinking about doing this. What are your thoughts on changing the barrel? Do you think it will increase or decrease the value of the rifle?

I don't think changing the barrel will increase the value......... most people don't want bubba-ed guns.

I'm not exactly sure how the Czech's modified vz52's to 7.62x39, new barrel? or a chamber adapter? (that have been know to have issues).

The Czech's had the model vz 52/57 which was made in 7.62x39. I'm looking to convert a 52 in to a 52/57 by changing the barrel. I would never do the chamber mod. Ok, so it might not make it more valuable, but it could increase the number of people wanting to own it. The original round is pricey and harder to get. Would you really consider that bubba-ed? After all, they make one that way.

Definitely decrease value.  Steyrs are a great example, most were converted from 8x50r to 8x56r.  When you find one that is in the original 8x50r you found a gem although ammo is almost impossible to find.  Just because ammo is easier to find doesn't mean you make the gun any more valuable, it just means you bubba'd your otherwise original gun