JayM26

References for P2P

I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

I already got 2 P2P's and want to get another 3.

Is it ok when I submit my paperwork to my local PD tomorrow that I list the same 2 people I put down on the first go or do they need to be 2 different/new references?

I don't want a reason or any cause for delay on getting these permits. Bad enough it will already take me 3 months without any issues.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if the "questionnaires" (if written) are one common "state" form, or is it something made up by each municipality (perhaps a common form for anyone who uses NJSP)?  I'm curious as to what questions they ask of your "references." I can think of the references I might want to use but, based on the questions contained therein, they might not want to answer some of them, or have that info. kept on file anywhere.... :shok: I assume the questionnaires are returned to the local chief, who keeps them for him/herself (as opposed to being forwarded for collection / data aggregation to the state).

Anyway, thoughts appreciated... :)

They make it up as they go along. One I saw looked like a 4473. asked if I was crazy, a wife beater, an enemy of the united states, If I lived where my I.D. said, do I work blah blah blah. My favorite was the one my old job gave them that said we do not confirm or deny his employment with XYZ, LOL. Its none of their damn business.

Questions on my reference form:

1. How long have you known the applicant?

2. In what capacity have you known the applicant? (Example: friend or neighbor)

3. Applicant's address?

4. Name of applicant's employer?

5. Are you aware of any substance abuse by the applicant?

6. Do you have any knowledge of a physical or mental handicap that would affect the safe handling of a firearm?

7. Please fill in the following information about yourself:

Address, Phone, Employer, Employer phone #, Employer Address

8. Indicate why you feel this applicant is capable of owning and handling a firearm (includes a full page of blank lines for you to write, but both of my references only wrote a couple lines).

They make it up as they go along. One I saw looked like a 4473. asked if I was crazy, a wife beater, an enemy of the united states, If I lived where my I.D. said, do I work blah blah blah. My favorite was the one my old job gave them that said we do not confirm or deny his employment with XYZ, LOL. Its none of their damn business.

Thank you. I am none of those things :), and I do live where my ID will (in two weeks) say I do (change of address successfully filed... no more PO box listed).  And, since I own my own business, the employer they'd be calling is me, anyway. :) 

The only concern then is if they actually attempt to contact my nosy "next door neighbors," unbeknownst to me (I've heard reports of that). What I do is none of their business, and my Pro 2A thing is something I really don't care for them to know, for a number of reasons.

3. Applicant's address?

6. Do you have any knowledge of a physical or mental handicap that would affect the safe handling of a firearm?

8. Indicate why you feel this applicant is capable of owning and handling a firearm.

I think #7 might be the one which would cause my references the most grief, and make them less likely to fill it out.

I was thinking that as well, but fortunately they cooperated. For what it's worth, none of my references, their employer, nor my employer were contacted. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that my PD only contacts people if there's something on your record that presents a red flag.

I was thinking that as well, but fortunately they cooperated. For what it's worth, none of my references, their employer, nor my employer were contacted. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that my PD only contacts people if there's something on your record that presents a red flag.

Let  us truly hope mine is the same. :)

3. Applicant's address?

8. Indicate why you feel this applicant is capable of owning and handling a firearm (includes a full page of blank lines for you to write, but both of my references only wrote a couple lines).

#8 is dumb. Why should your friend decide your constitutional rights? 

I use the same two people who are good friends and gun owners, and also NJ residents. I would say follow this formula. This way they understand the process and understand what's at stake. 

And I will give a reference to anyone I know in person and I know somewhat well. 

I have to deal with NJSP and they sent out letters to my references the same day I submitted my app. They even ask for two stamped addressed envelopes. 

BTW, just curious, can (even theoretically) a reference be held somehow accountable if one day a person he "recommended" to be allowed to have a gun commits something terrible with this gun? Or if he/she states that to the best of his/her knowledge the applicant had no mental issues while in reality he had certain issues in the past that have been unknown to those references?

I suppose no, but then logically one could argue that the whole idea of this reference system is just senseless...