ryan_j

Teaneck police unmarked vehicles? Sorta

Crime is easily deterred in the presence of a capable guardian... Only to occur later when the presence of a capable guardian has left, its arguably better to let the capable guardian hide in plain sight and stop the motivated offender in the act.

Seems to me that having cruisers marked as conspicuously as possible would have the most impact on things like speeding and aggressive driving. If we agree that preventing the offense in the first place is the best result, all patrol cars should be clearly marked. If not, let's all just call it what it is.

I'm not a big believer in warnings.  There is a thought that only a summons will change someone's behavior for a longer period as compared to the temporary sight of a patrol car.  Looking for the Patrol car in plain sight will keep aggressive drivers guessing.  

There are certainly times for being conspicuous, especially when a specific area is about about to be targeted for increased enforcement.  Several weeks prior to the "ticket writing" patrol cars/speed signs/speed trailers can be spread throughout the area being very visible.   Everyone has a road in their area they know not to speed on!

CT eliminated unmarked cars a few years back and had to outfit their exiting fleet with a goofy looking state police badge thing on all the cars.

NYSP used to have a variety of seized vehicles patrolling the Thruway. My two favorites were the Corvette and a full size (molester style) van with all hidden lights

I saw a dodge charger (I think) this morning on 80/95 on the way to the GWB. I knew it was a cop car because I saw the lightbar on the front grille and the light by the driver side mirror along with MGxxxxxx front plates. So I pull right and let him pass. 

When I look at the side of the car, I see "TEANECK POLICE" but the way it is written, you can hardly see it. It's in very dark lettering, almost like a silhouette. I had to glance a few times to see it but it's almost like they're sorta hiding that it's a cop car. 

So the question is this. Are unmarked cop cars for speed enforcement now a problem in NJ? It almost seems like this is the case and they marked the car in such a way as to get around the law (if it is indeed the law). 

lawnside nj has a couple chargers lettered like that, although they have that very very shallow almost impossible to see till it's lit roof light bar.

Crime is easily deterred in the presence of a capable guardian... Only to occur later when the presence of a capable guardian has left, its arguably better to let the capable guardian hide in plain sight and stop the motivated offender in the act.

The thing is I don't think that's legal. You have to let people know they're being watched, hence the signs about radar from planes. I don't think those signs are a courtesy. Without them tickets wouldn't hold up in court.

I don't believe this is a law about police cars having to be marked otherwise the NJSP and other organizations would not use them for enforcement purposes still because someone would have slammed them with a lawsuit by now.

My favorite car was a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice we had laying around for use. It was a FAST car.

Yes, they were.  Two years later in '97 the county started buying Crown Vic's.  Went from a Chebbie 5.7L  to a Found On Road Dead 4.6L.  Couldn't even fry the tires in the CV's.

Yes, they were.  Two years later in '97 the county started buying Crown Vic's.  Went from a Chebbie 5.7L  to a Found On Road Dead 4.6L.  Couldn't even fry the tires in the CV's.

I LOVED the 1995 Chevy Caprice.  They did have a nasty habit of breaking the header bolt near the drivers side firewall and loosing the electric fans causing overheating.  Other than that they were my FAVORITE car.  I hated the Ford all these years, BUT you could not kill the 4.6L Ford.  Gotta give them credit!!

I'd like to see the people that retrofit their cars with LED and HID lights get tickets. If some moron has them aimed incorrectly, or has reflector headlights instead of projector, I can't see a damn thing. That's a hell of a lot more dangerous to me than someone speeding.

Back on topic, I saw one of those chargers last week. I wasn't sure if it was Teaneck or New Milford. Black with ghost lettering.

I LOVED the 1995 Chevy Caprice.  They did have a nasty habit of breaking the header bolt near the drivers side firewall and loosing the electric fans causing overheating.  Other than that they were my FAVORITE car.  I hated the Ford all these years, BUT you could not kill the 4.6L Ford.  Gotta give them credit!!

Actually they had issues with the early 4.6L CV's. I don't know if you remember it or not but if I recall correctly the oil cooler would go bad and allow anti-freeze to get into the engine oil. It was "no bueno"

Also I remember a problem with one of those caprices where if you were idling and the cooling fans would kick on for some reason the radar would pick it up and you would get a ghost reading of something like 72 and there was nothing there.  LOL

There's no law that says you "can't" examine the paper bag that a wino is drinking from either. It because of probable cause that it's not done.

What?

That makes zero sense and shows that you have zero grasp of Police Work or of constitutional law pertaining to the 4th amendment as used in Law Enforcement.

New Caprices with V8's are rockets.we just trasitioned from crown vics. Body made in Australia with mexican made engines..(yikes).. Reliabilty to be determined..anybody remember the old police Luminas?.. Once had a guy walk in the station and say"Excuse me but one of your patrol cars is on fire"..piece of junk literally burnt itself into oblivion

In warren twsp we have more black chargers with ghost lettering then normal cop cars. We also have a variety of new explorers, suburbans, durangos, I inow of at least one ram 2500, and a dodge caravan which most are unmarked and black but the 2500, caravan and at least one Durango are all the dodge pale blue.

The town I work in all just got new taurus's and explorers and 10" lwrc ar's. All of which are pretty sweet

Actually they had issues with the early 4.6L CV's. I don't know if you remember it or not but if I recall correctly the oil cooler would go bad and allow anti-freeze to get into the engine oil. It was "no bueno"

Also I remember a problem with one of those caprices where if you were idling and the cooling fans would kick on for some reason the radar would pick it up and you would get a ghost reading of something like 72 and there was nothing there.  LOL

Early crown vic's used a plastic intake manifold and they had a problem with them cracking and leaking the antifreeze into the engine or usually on top.  It was an easy fix though and one that could not be ignored like the leaking exhaust fumes.  It would take weeks to get those exhaust bolts fixed causing us to drive around sucking fumes! :)  

New Caprices with V8's are rockets.we just trasitioned from crown vics. Body made in Australia with mexican made engines..(yikes).. Reliabilty to be determined..anybody remember the old police Luminas?.. Once had a guy walk in the station and say"Excuse me but one of your patrol cars is on fire"..piece of junk literally burnt itself into oblivion

Yes they are.  Close to the Charger I drive now.  I find them VERY tight with a dumb place for the shifter down between the seats.  You could set up a CAMP GROUND inside the 1995 Caprice.  I just LOVED that car!

Last weekend there was a trooper sitting on the side of the GSP around mm100 with his door open and shooting his radar gun (or laser) at cars going by.  I was in a pack  going around 80 and he did not blink an eye at us?  The good thing is that nobody got stupid and slammed on the brakes.

Wasn't there a video where the bergen county PD was using a chrysler minivan? 

Yes, and they got into a pissing match with NJSP, because people were carjacked by police impersonators who pulled people over in a minivan(contrary to what some have said about police impersonations not being a big deal in NJ).