Redrum

Planning 1st Build

Hi All, I have a question as far as my first build. I narrowed it down to a stripped Mega upper and lower. It is ambidextrous and the reason is, and this may sound funny, I'm not sure which is my better eye. I own zero rifles but have a shotgun and three pistols but shoot equal in either eye. My theory is when I get a chance to shoot my brothers rifle and by the time I build I should have it sorted out. My real question is anyone familiar with Megas quality. Thank You!

P.S Kimber45 Thanks Again for the PMs!

http://megaarms.com/

Top notch.  Their machinists are frontline QC and they pay attention to detail.  Mega sets the standard when it comes to product quality and I'm proud to say I'm one of their master dealers/distributors.  The sets are hard to come by right now and they're running about 9-10 months behind on orders though it's difficult to say since they run SKUs in batches.  They have orders from me back in Dec/Jan but just shipped me some product from POs I sent last month because they got caught up on those SKUs.  

As MWPX said the Mega stuff is good to go.

As far as ambi controls, it really isn't necessary. I know plenty of wrong handed dudes that are studs in "special" units and I have taught plenty of "satan's children" to shoot long guns over the last 10 years. None of them had ambi controls and they all eschewed them when given the option to have them installed saying that the standard controls were just fine. I also train a lot shooting withy left side - the whole "a warrior knows neither right not left" thing... - and have had zero issues running the gun.

It is very easy to run a standard AR with standard controls with either hand. In fact, in some ways running a standard AR with the wrong hand is "simpler" then running it righty.

Save your $$ and buy ammo to practice with. It will serve you better in the long run.

ETA: I love your photo! That is one of my all time favorite you tube clips!!!

I shoot lefty and the only thing that I do to all of my AR's is an ambi CH and a B.A.D safety/selector. That being said I am looking to do a side charger in an ambi config. I think that Mega make some great stuff so if you go with the ambi stuff they are a great choice also look at Seekins Precision they have an ambi lower in billet that is sweet!!

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/ar-lowers/complete-lower-226.html

The thing about ambi to me is you still have the ability to run it as a standard AR so I say do what you like and learn it!

My left eye is dominant so I shoot lefty, I had no idea why until I started reading about eye dominance. I can shoot righty also but when I put a gun up for the first time when I was a kid it just went to the left side naturally. So I practiced on both sides and I can do either side just as well.

my fiance is left handed... and operates a standard AR15 without issue... if you hand someone a standard setup rifle.. and they do not have the option.. they will learn it as normal.. and moving forward every other AR they ever pick up will be familiar to them