checko

How many magazines?

I'm gonna be picking up my new pistol soon and I was just wondering what you all thought would be the minimum amount of magazines you should have on hand?  Yeah I know, as many as you can, but what do you think the lowest number should be.

This will primarily be a carry and training gun and the magazines aren't super easy to come by.  

I don't carry anything, but if I did my carry magazines would be separate from my training mags.  Since basically all my guns are training guns I keep 5 mags for each pistol.  My nightstand gun has 8 mags - 5 for the range and 3 dedicated to defense duty.  The only gun this doesn't apply to is my 1911 which I have a sh*tload of mags for bc they only hold 7 rds and they go quick at the range lol.  

All of them...

That said, I think 3 should cut it for most things, unless you're shooting IDPA/USPSA.

EDIT:

Full disclosure- my HD guns are all long or revolvers.

The pistols are range guns/back ups to the back ups. 

I keep 10 training mags and 5 carry mags for the 2 duty guns I train with. It helps that they take the same mags - Glock 22 and 2 Glock 35s. I keep 5 mags for gun that are qual and carry only and see very little training - Glock 27, Kahr PM9, Ruger LCP.

If it was a gun that would see a lot of training in addition to carry/HD/SD, I would go under 11 mags, 8 for training/comps and 3 for carry/HD/SD. Number the mags and keep an idea of how many rounds go through them so you can put in new springs when appropriate. I put new springs in my training mags every other year.

I know you can use baby eagle mags for it, not sure how available ones from the manufacturer are and price.  But Efingers had 3-4 of the factory M1 ones today in stock for $47.

$47 each?  Ouch.   I've seen them on gunbroker for a reasonable price <30

I keep 10 training mags and 5 carry mags for the 2 duty guns I train with. It helps that they take the same mags - Glock 22 and 2 Glock 35s. I keep 5 mags for gun that are qual and carry only and see very little training - Glock 27, Kahr PM9, Ruger LCP.

If it was a gun that would see a lot of training in addition to carry/HD/SD, I would go under 11 mags, 8 for training/comps and 3 for carry/HD/SD. Number the mags and keep an idea of how many rounds go through them so you can put in new springs when appropriate. I put new springs in my training mags every other year.

What do you think an appropriate round count would be to change the springs?  I figure you do a good deal more shooting than I do. 

Not sure with your gun. I picked that interval because when I waited to I swap them at 3 year intervals, I started having having issues.

Also, Glocks are more mag sensitive than most guns as they rely on the mag for ejection of the fired case.

Shoot it and see. If you have 8 mags and are using the mags evenly, I would say swap springs in your mags every 5k-7k through the gun. If you are using three or four a lot more then the rest, I would say swap those 3 every 3k-4k through the gun.

I suggest a minimum of 4-5 mags per pistol. But in reality, but as many as you can. I understand nowadays getting mags for some pistols is a lot more difficult as well as more expensive, but I feel it's a fee that should be added into the pistol itself.

As for rifles, I'd say 10+. The more the better.

what do you do if you have a malfunction with that mag?

Throw it at the target...

After reading lots of articles and going thru the motions to get out of state carry I will ways have an extra mag, not bc you necessarily need the rounds but bc of the possibility of a malfunction.

Throw it at the target...

After reading lots of articles and going thru the motions to get out of state carry I will ways have an extra mag, not bc you necessarily need the rounds but bc of the possibility of a malfunction.

Lol thats kinda what I was getting at.

I carry my s&w 469 about every day ! I carry one mag !! The one in the gun.

Ok back 2 the real world !! The one mag I carry is the one I run my (good) ammo in after about 200 /300 rounds ammo that I carry with Im confident in my ( ammo mag and gun ) I will bet my life on it and i do every day I put it on my hip !!!

I hear this often from people that have no clue regarding how fast violence occurs or what can go wrong once the balloon goes up.

This is an indication of a poor mindset and should be corrected. Here is some real world for you - If you carry a gun, you should carry a reload.

I say 6, but there is a reason.

2 for HD.

3 for the range.

1 to keep in your range bag.

"But Ryan," You say.  "Why do you need one in your range bag if you have 3 to bring to the range?"

Ah, young grasshopper.  Because when you are on your way out the door and leave your magazines on the kitchen table as I did tonight, you will always have 1 magazine in your range bag so that you can still shoot even if you left your others at home.

I know you can use baby eagle mags for it, not sure how available ones from the manufacturer are and price.  But Efingers had 3-4 of the factory M1 ones today in stock for $47.

From this description I take it you are looking for Walther PPQ M1 mags? If so, this place has Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle mags for 27.50 a piece. http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Magnum-Research-Mag-15Rd-MAGFA915.html

They fit perfect and run flawlessly.

From this description I take it you are looking for Walther PPQ M1 mags? If so, this place has Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle mags for 27.50 a piece. http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Magnum-Research-Mag-15Rd-MAGFA915.html

They fit perfect and run flawlessly.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.