Bbott

Recommendations for duck hunting?

Get something you won't mind getting wet. Extra fancy grade wood is out. You probably want a gun with a 3" chamber that can handle 2 3/4" and 3" shells. If you want an autoloader, look at the Remington 11-87 or Mosssberg 930. If you want a pump, a REM 870 or Mossberg 500 would be a good bet.

something with synthetic stock. 26-28" barrel. handle a few to see what feels good to YOU in YOUR hands. I prefer Mossberg gun b/c the safety is on top where I can engage it with my thumb. just a matter of what feels good for you. Nick

I'm looking to purchase a shotgun. Does anyone have shotgun recommendations specifically for duck hunting?

I bought the Browning Maxius in duck blind camo. Beautiful gun light weight 2-3/4"-3-1/2" auto loader, magazine stop lever, rubberized outter coating, every thing you could ever want in a waterfowl gun.

A little expensive when you compare it to a Mossberg or a Remington but money well spent on a much better quality semiauto, specifically built for waterfowl. Makes my 935 look like a piece of junk. That was a tax return for me a few years ago when it came out, had it on order before they were released.

5y7ysaha.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

The 870 is the standard waterfowler with the mossy 500 as a very close second.  I'd say get an 870 but they are not making them like they used to. I bought my 870 Express in the mid 80's and it's a rock solid workhorse.  The newer ones are tough but not as tough.  If you can find an older lightly used 870 express with a 28" barrel, that would be ideal.

If you can spend a little extra money then consider a Savage O/U.  They are not all that expensive and a pretty good value for what you get.  The O/U is superior to a pump action in many ways but not too many hunters want to drag a $1,500 to $2,500 shotgun through the mud.  A new Savage O/U can be had for well under $600.  Hunting upland game or waterfowl with an O/U is just so much better than with a pump but a good pump will definitely do the job.