Sign in to follow this  
tuktuk

glock gen4 front sight removing tool

Iirc, it's just a thin walled 1/8" hex socket. I replaced mine without the official glock tool, but I don't recall exactly what I used. I think it was just a plain old craftsman screwdriver with the interchangeable bits (obviously used without a bit). I've heard of people using a grinder on one of those types of screwdrivers to thin the wall a bit so it will fit.

I've sorta got a similar question, if you don't mind if i piggy back on your thread. I bought a new fiber optic front sight for my springfield 1911. I want to punch out the stock front sight and then tap in the new fiber optic one. Is this the tool i need?

http://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-25077-8-Inch-Knurled-Brass/dp/B000GTMQ0C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383402030&sr=8-4&keywords=non+marring+punch

I've been using pieces of hardwood (I prefer maple) cut to the right size with great success. The will deform a little after some good whacks, but never scratch the gun or the sight and can be cut and notched for odd sized or angled pieces too.

Maybe because I'm a woodworker and have lots of scraps lying around and tools to shape them, But never found the need to use any of my brass drifts or buy a Delrin one.

Sights from XS came with a tool. It's made of aluminum so it doesn't damage the very thing screws.

Here is the tool and a pic of the front sight screw on the underside of a Glock slide.

6b92a34a-2ba2-4345-9cf0-b3228611e8ce.jpg

Mine doesn't have a screw, it's just pressed into place very tightly and has to be wacked out and wacked back in, but with something that won't damage the slide or the sight.

Mine doesn't have a screw, it's just pressed into place very tightly and has to be wacked out and wacked back in, but with something that won't damage the slide or the sight.

NP, was replying to the OP's questions about Glocks - a G34 Gen 4 slide pictured.

I've never done sights on a 1911.