thug the bunny

243 cal rifle?

From the obvious selections to the not-so-obvious as far as choices. Some of these are not "small and light."

• Browning BAR
  • Rem. 4 & 7400
  • Any of the long-action AR's (I.E. AR10, R25, etc.)
  • SA M1A (if you can find one)
  • PTR-91 (if you can find one)
  • H&K 770 (if you can find one)

Why "preferably an autoloader?" You are severely limiting the rifle's usefulness. .243 Win is a terrific round suitable for anything from varmints to whitetail - and the place you would must likely hunt with it - or at least most accessible is PA, which does not allow semi-autos for hunting.

If all you are going to do is punch paper, there are more economical cartridge choices out there. Go with a good bolt gun - there are lots of lightweight choices.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree with Bob. No need for rapidity of fire. If you want a dual-purpose rifle for varmints or deer; the .243 is a good choice. Semi-auto action rules out its use in PA if you should ever decide to hunt with it there. if you have something against bolt rifles, there are also rifles chambered in this cartridge in pump and lever-action models in addition to bolt action's.

243 is a great multi-purpose caliber but is not the most logical for a semi-auto.  I discovered this after buying a 243 bolt action (Ruger American) with plans on a followup AR platform in 243.  If your pockets are deep, then by all means go ahead with a 243, it's not a bad choice, just a prohibitively expensive one (for me at least). 

Something else to consider, and this is probably more important than any other factor, is your intended use.  As previously stated, hunting with a semi-auto is not allowed in many states.  For home defense 243 is overkill, especially in an urban or suburban area.  Arguably, the 243 in a HD role would be more suitable in a rural environment.  The defacto rural HD long gun is the Ruger Mini Ranch.  If all you want it for is target, there is litttle reason, other than cost, to stop you.  If you have access to a 200 plus range, a 243 with a varmint barrel will provide hours of fun.

A less expensive alternative to consider is 6.8SPC.  This is still a somewhat expensive and sometimes difficult to find round but still far easier to find than 22LR.  If you already have an AR-15 then you can just get a complete upper and bolt for an easy switchover. 

243 shines as a long range caliber in bolt action.  If you are determined to get a 243 then consider a bolt action if you want to get the most out of the caliber.  If what you want is a semi-auto that hits harder than 5.56 but is less punnishing to the shoulder than 308/7.62 , look into 6.8 SPC.

My favorite bolt gun is my Remington 700 is .243 Win. I inherited it from my mother, who took many whitetails with it.

I have used the .243 in both bolt and semi-auto platforms, and I think the most ideal is the bolt action for this cartridge.

It is inheriently very accurate, and a bolt gun will wring the most out of the .243, not to mention, being much more cost effective than a semi-auto.

Thanks all, yes, I was looking to round out my collection with an accurate long range scoped rifle for deer. I just automatically went for autoloader, but you guys are right, there's no need and I didn't know they are illegal for hunting in PA.

Is a Browning worth >2x the price of a Ruger American?

I've got a ruger m77 varmint in .243 -- My 1st rifle --  I've taken in out to Montana on multiple occasions -- Antelope, mule deer, whitetail all fell to the .243

Once when the big target is down, you spend the rest of the trip shooting prairie dogs with the same rifle and just a projectile change

It's a great cartridge  

Thanks all, yes,..........

Is a Browning worth >2x the price of a Ruger American?

Try 3x-4x more for a sub MOA Browning with similar features.  Browning makes great rifles and has a great name.  A good portion of the price paid for a Browning is for the prestige of the brand name.  The Ruger American on the other hand was builty for one purpose only, getting meat.  It's light, tight and ugly as sin.  It kils me that my first rifle has a black synthetic stock.  But, it is very accurate, more accurate than me and most who shoot it.  You can get it with the standard 22" barel or the compact version with an 18" barrel.  The RAR is not the best range gun in the world, it heats up fast with the light sporter barrel.  If you are an accomplished marksman, those first few cold bore shots will be sub MOA (with the right ammo naturally).

If what you want is a 243 hunting rifle, light weight and superbly accurate, go for the RAR.  If you want something with a gorgeous wood stock, accurate and don't mind the extra weight or price tag, then a Browning is never a bad choice.  Other greats to consider are the Remington 700 or Baretta's Tikka.  Lastly, if you'r primary use is deer, then you might want to step up to something a tiny bit bigger  The 243 will be fine, but 270 may give you a little edge.Or a 7mm-08 is fast, flat and fat.  I almost got my RAR in 7mm-08 but the price of ammo was too steep for me.  I punch paper so ammo cost factors more for me but for a hunter it should not be that big a deal.  What's $5 to $10 more per box of ammo to get you through a years worth of hunting compared to the flat shooting accuracy and stopping power of the 7mm-08?  Not much really.

Just to be controversial, in the same vein the 6mm Rem. is a good cartridge as well. Not as popular as the .243 Win., but as good, if not a smidge better than the .243 if you reload. We could discuss the various .25's as well and their role as good "dual-purpose" cartridges, but that would make things more confusing. There's a lot of variety out there.

If you were to buy a rifle to use legally in NY, NJ & PA for varmints (chucks, fox, coyote) and deer; you have lots of choices for rifle cartridges that can accommodate those groups with proper and legal bullet weights, so you're not tied to just the .243.

Great info Scorpio, thanks. Ruger American it is. I am new to hunting - IYO would taking a RAR .243 plus my .44 lever carbine for close work be a good strategy?

Edit: for some reason the 243 just appealed to me as soon as I read about it. It's based on the 30-30 cartridge right? I can't wait to shoot it on my 300y range...

It's based on the 30-30 cartridge right? 

No, it's based on the .308. Just necked down to 6mm.

If you know where you are going to hunt, then usually one or the other, depending on terrain. In mixed terrain it is easier to use a scoped bolt action rifle, set on a low magnification, for a brush shot, than it is to take a 200 yard open field shot with an iron-sighted lever gun.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Personally I would stick to the 308 caliber.  Lots of choices in heads there.  223 can be pushed up to 80 grains and 308 starts at 110 gr.  While a nice shooting round, don't see the need to stop at 243.

Great info Scorpio, thanks. Ruger American it is. I am new to hunting - IYO would taking a RAR .243 plus my .44 lever carbine for close work be a good strategy?

Edit: for some reason the 243 just appealed to me as soon as I read about it. It's based on the 30-30 cartridge right? I can't wait to shoot it on my 300y range...

Pizza Bob is right, one or the other.  btw, the RAR does not come with open sights so a scope is a must.  I don't hunt deer but from what I've read, deer hunters seem to like 3x9 or 4x12.  Redfield was bought by Leupold a while back and they make some very good scopes right here in the US of A.

Pizza Bob is right, one or the other.  btw, the RAR does not come with open sights so a scope is a must.  I don't hunt deer but from what I've read, deer hunters seem to like 3x9 or 4x12.  Redfield was bought by Leupold a while back and they make some very good scopes right here in the US of A.

I was just thinking of the .44 for close shots through brush. Would be no biggy to throw it in a backpack, only weighs like 5lb...

Definitely will scope the RAR..

I was just thinking of the .44 for close shots through brush. Would be no biggy to throw it in a backpack, only weighs like 5lb...

Trust me if you're in the woods all day, that 5 pounds, in addition to your BA rifle, will seem like 50 by the end of the day. Maybe carry a handgun (revolver) for those close-in brush shots. PA has a sportsman carry permit that allows you to carry a handgun while hunting.

Just remember that no pistol/rifle round is a "brush buster." Any bullet will be deflected to some degree when striking an object enroute to the target. The handiness of carbines while mooching in thick cover like swamps or laurel's and rhododendron's can't be disputed. The category of "deer rifle" runs a wide gamut of possibilities. Everyone has a personal favorite or two. Match the rifle and cartridge to the terrain you'll be hunting and you'll be fine.