DirtyDigz

WTH are these things - Blue flashing lights on side of road

Can some one tell me what this is?

adjg5lTy.jpg

I've seen these for a couple of years now when driving on Eisenhower parkway between the Short Hills Mall and the intersection with South Orange avenue. They are mounted on stakes on the sides of the road and faintly flash blue at night.

My pet theory is that they're designed to scare deer away, but I otherwise don't have a clue.

In PA, years ago, they put up plywood silhouettes of the ass-end of a deer with the white flag flying. In theory, other deer would see the fake whitetail danger sign, before reaching the roadway and turn back into the woods. Have no idea how effective they were - I guess if there had been a significant reduction in deer/car encounters we'd still be seeing them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Its ok, when those become car and license plate scanners, taking a photo of your car whenever you pass by you won't even notice them anymore. 

<Note this is sarcasm, not an actual conspiracy theory. If this was an actual conspiracy theory your emergency theory broadcast system would be advising you to quicly wear your emergency Faraday hat. And as always, please first wear YOUR Faraday hat before assisting the children and the elderly with theirs>

Pretty interesting seeing this here.  Someone at work mentioned these things the other day because they drive that way every day, they did mention that it did seem to make a tremendous difference in the number of dead deer on the side of the road.