JoeTK37

AR Scopes M-223 2-8 vs. Monarch 2.5-10

I've been searching the 'net, our optics thread and pretty much everywhere trying to find opinions on this.  My second AR build I'd like to keep as more of a target gun, 100-300 yds, longer if there were any place in North jersey to even do it.  Originally I was thinking 4-16, but that seems a bit overkill for 300yds.

Now I'm looking at the Nikon M-223 2-8 which has pretty solid reviews and is in the price point I'm looking for, I have to add the mount as well.

Thining it might be nice to have a hair more on the high end of magnification I was also looking at the Nikon Monarch(which I believe is the basis for the M series).  Monarch line offers a 2.5-10x42 and 50.  I'm not concerned with the .5 difference on the low end, more whether or not its an appropriate fit for an AR and a good magnification for 300yds.  I assume its a fine scope to use given its the basis for the M-223 line, but who knows.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Joe

I have a Nikon m223 1x4 20mm and though not what your are talking about I like the scope and I got the Nikon mount thrown into the deal, I wasn't sure about the mount and was going to go with the PEPR but I have been happy with the Nikon mount so if you can find that you may want to save the extra money on the mount and at least try it.

I don't have that much optics experience but I hit what I am aiming at so far out to 200yds. I think the Nik0n m223 line is pretty good for the price point.  I did shoot through the MTAC Burris 1x4 24mm and the only thing I really liked better was the reticle and illumination. I would like to have a different reticle in my scope but not knowing all that much about scopes  I will look a lot harder for my next purchase.

I have one AR close and mid-range mounted with an EOTech. I have one strictly for medium to medium/long range and I went with the 4-16X. Of course I have old eyes and "one-hole" disease, so it suits me. At 100 yds and beyond it is hard to imagine having too much glass.

2zz6yaf.jpg

Of course my father shot groundhogs out beyond 400 yards using an old Weaver K8 scope, so I guess it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have had both scopes.

The M223 line actually uses Monarch glass.  Only difference is reticle and magnifications.

The monarch line of glass is terrific.  It will come down to magnification in this case.

The 1-4 is good, but really meant for shooting uspsa/idpa sized targets.  The point blank reticle is not too good for shooting say 4 inch plates at 200 yards plus.

Hope this helps.

I have had both scopes.

The M223 line actually uses Monarch glass.  Only difference is reticle and magnifications.

The monarch line of glass is terrific.  It will come down to magnification in this case.

The 1-4 is good, but really meant for shooting uspsa/idpa sized targets.  The point blank reticle is not too good for shooting say 4 inch plates at 200 yards plus.

Hope this helps.

Thats exactly what I was looking for.  Right now I think I'll be going Monarch 3 BDC 2.5-10X42 with a Burris PEPR QD mount.  If I can hold out I'll wait to see if Black Friday brings any deals.  Otherwise I think my mind is made up, should be perfect considering realistically if I ever see a 300yd target it'll probably be a miracle. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.