ryan_j

Dash cams

Not looking for an expensive police dash cam, just something to CYA and review interesting stuff from road trips.

My dad bought one from Amazon. It's pretty neat. It's SD (640x480) but has two cameras, GPS, gyro sensors and integration with Google Earth. He also bought one for me.

The funny thing was that the default language was Russian... apparently they are all the rage in Russia. 

http://www.amazon.com/BOOMYOURS-270%C2%B0Rotating-Vehicle-Blackbox-G-sensor/dp/B008GAMNBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383592177&sr=8-1&keywords=boomyours+dash+cam

I took it out on a drive on Saturday and it was pretty good. 

Anyone have a camera they use on their personal vehicles? 

I was actually thinking of getting one myself.Living in Monroe I encounter some of the most challenged drivers ever and a Dash Cam might prove to be useful in the event of a collision....which as days pass seems to be inevitable.

I would want one that has an option to easily record with sound any interaction I may have with someone approaching the drivers side window also.

The one I linked has sound as well. Not sure about the legality, I believe you may have to disclose you are recording, but don't quote me on that.

Anything in public view is okay to record. How you use it might create legal issues. Voive recording and notification varies from state to state.

my dads a trucker and has one in his car and truck.

It records everything, GPS, sound, 2 cams, and some other stuff. You can disable certain features if you dont need them.

It came in very handy when he was pulled over in VA in his truck allegedly for speeding. He submitted the camera data from it and it proved that he wasn't speeding, judged dropped the case.

my dads a trucker and has one in his car and truck.

It records everything, GPS, sound, 2 cams, and some other stuff. You can disable certain features if you dont need them.

It came in very handy when he was pulled over in VA in his truck allegedly for speeding. He submitted the camera data from it and it proved that he wasn't speeding, judged dropped the case.

That's a good reason for one. 

As I recall, NJ is a one party state, meaning that if one party is informed, the conversation may be recorded.  Please don't quote me though, IANAL.

My recollection was correct:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/new-jersey/new-jersey-recording-law

Probably the reason for the Russian language default is cause they are widely used in Russia for insurance purpose.

You must prove to the insurance company whose fault it was. I believe all cars have one in Russia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that is correct. Nearly every car in Russia has one. Thankfully my limited knowledge of pyccn (approximate cyrillic alphabet) let me set the menus to English. My dad was laughing how I was able to figure out the "wrong sided R."

There are HD ones but they go up to almost $300. I don't really need HD. I am not filming a wedding. 

The funny thing was that the default language was Russian... apparently they are all the rage in Russia. 

Go to liveleak.com, search for insurance scam.  You will see why everyone has them in some countries.

I use an older Kodak ZI8 with a suction cup window mount, nothing fancy.

If you google "russia traffic video" you'll see a whole bunch of incredible near-death stuff, all taken from dash cams.

I almost bought the one linked above...but I did a little research and I believe this one is better : http://www.ebay.com/itm/310752336819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

So I bought it.    Of course now my vehicle will have a 4th device.     GPS, XMRadio, Valentine 1 and Dash cam.    The Valentine is hidden away above the visor, now I have to figure out where to mount this thing.

Yes, that is correct. Nearly every car in Russia has one. Thankfully my limited knowledge of pyccn (approximate cyrillic alphabet) let me set the menus to English. My dad was laughing how I was able to figure out the "wrong sided R."

There are HD ones but they go up to almost $300. I don't really need HD. I am not filming a wedding. 

That's pycckn, with a "k".

I almost bought the one linked above...but I did a little research and I believe this one is better : http://www.ebay.com/itm/310752336819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

So I bought it. Of course now my vehicle will have a 4th device. GPS, XMRadio, Valentine 1 and Dash cam. The Valentine is hidden away above the visor, now I have to figure out where to mount this thing.

That one has no GPS which is why I passed on it

Out of curiosity, if someone has a dash cam and records some douche breaking the law, can they turn the footage in to local police to get the douche a ticket?   Assuming the video contains the license plate number.   Would the person recording need to appear in court?  How would that work? 

That one has no GPS which is why I passed on it

I don't really need that, I was looking for the best possible picture without spending a lot of money.  I did want to be able to clearly read license plates.  

I figure if you're slightly over the speed limit and an accident occurs, they're going to hold it against you, even if you're slower than the flow of traffic. I'd just rather leave that cat safely tucked away in the burlap.

Out of curiosity, if someone has a dash cam and records some douche breaking the law, can they turn the footage in to local police to get the douche a ticket?   Assuming the video contains the license plate number.   Would the person recording need to appear in court?  How would that work? 

No believe it or not video is not enough in the peoples republic. In NJ police have to witness the violation in person, not video, for them to sign the ticket. But it is enough for you to sign your own ticket and show the judge the video.

I use a Kodak Playtouch on a ball mount attached to my dashboard. A 16gb SDHC card gives me over 2 hours at 720p 60fps. I use it every time I drive, usually stop/start it every 10 mins. or so just to have managable file sizes. If nothing "interesting" happens, I format it when full and start over:

dashcam.jpg

I bought a Blackvue DR500GW-HD.  You can get them off Massdrop once in a while.  It has WiFi, HD, GPS, audio, and the capability to send live stream to your phone with a free app.  You can also get an accessory that will keep power going to the cam until a voltage threshold is met so that you don't kill your car battery.  The unit will go into sleep mode, but will start recording when it detects motion. 

So I bought it.    Of course now my vehicle will have a 4th device.     GPS, XMRadio, Valentine 1 and Dash cam.    The Valentine is hidden away above the visor, now I have to figure out where to mount this thing.

I got this on Wednesday, ran around a bit yesterday.  It takes beautiful video.  Here's a screener.

dashcam.jpg

The screen shot sure looks good.

The video files are big, It uses about 5gb per hour and I have it run in 3 minute recordings.  I put a 32gb card in there which should be plenty as it just recycles the older files.  I'm able to easily pick out license plates during playback, which was my primary goal.

A side goal will be met when I catch a foobar on the highway or a meteor ;).   We'll see how long this thing lasts, so far so good, but it's only been since Wednesday.