Sign in to follow this  
FLHX

New mag adapter for Ak to AR mags .223/5.56

I was doing so reading on a new site I found and came across this little piece. I know there have been a few people who have done the mod to use AR mags in their AK this is another option. They seem to work as per the article. I don't know how much the other mod is, but this is retailing for $100 and is out now.

http://www.all4shooters.com/en/articles/technics/2013/TexasAk-Designs-STANAG-magazine-adaptor-223-5.56mm-AK-rifles/

That’s the old or original version, the new one is called a Bastard and has the LRBHO. The company has taken a new name here’s the product link. I recently upgraded from the old to the Bastard. If you are interested I could probably dig up some pics. There is another company from FL called Definitive Arms that does their version but you have to send yours it. I’m very happy with my adapter but there is fair amount of work, but fun.

Just a FYI.... Do a lot of reading about this company TexasAkdesigns or now Canis designs....

Buy once cry once with this guy!!!!

My money is with Definitive Arms!!

Never had an issue with the adapter....

The owner is flakey but have made multiple orders from him... They all eventually came... Slowly...

I even had one return.... And while I waited forever for the refund... I got it....

The owner is flakey but have made multiple orders from him... They all eventually came... Slowly...

I even had one return.... And while I waited forever for the refund... I got it....

Cool.... Just throwing it out there.

Was it a pain to install with lots of fitting?

Was it a pain to install with lots of fitting?

If someone able to use basic hand tools and do the required milling & fitting it’s not bad but keep in mind an error while milling out the trunnion would turn the rifle into an ornament. The milling is the key and must be precise while not putting too much heat in one area while cutting. TAK does have it right in their printed instructions that it is suggested the adapter be “…installed by a licensed gunsmith”. If you have some mechanical ability the TAK-D adapters aren’t all that hard to complete but be advised the project isn’t for everyone.  I’d say prior metal working experience is huge plus.  The DA is probably a better solution if you don’t want to risk it on the milling.That being said from a functionally perspective the DA has zero advantages over the TAK-D Bastard which was derived from the original adapter. I too had the old adapter shown in post #1 and upgraded to new Bastard in March.  Want to see the TAK guys abuse the old adapter, take a look here

Another question. Once the magwell is converted does the weapon have a lrbho feature

the Bastard (hell of a name) which was the successor to the original adapter has LRBHO as well as the DA. For the Bastard you could do purchase without it but I figured why not? see image below. FYI the Tapco hammer needs to be profiled like the original hammer to work, you could see the grinder marks on hammer in the pic. This is an old picture while it was a work in progress. Shortly after I completed the project I put the original hammer back in place. Since you could never go back to Russian mags you are still 922 complaint. Off Topic but as I understand it for the Sagia 223 ONLY the Tapco hammer don't land exactly square like on the S762 or S308, this results in the bolt getting whacked slightly off center. I could probably find the post that mentions that if you want to see it.

EDIT: added link info on S223 bolt & hammer YMMV

sf8qr6.jpg