dwamp2006

Cigars

If it's the Thompson Cigar offer then It's been around for awhile. As for the offer, the cigars are by no means Cohibas or R&J's but just decent "at the grill" smokes with a lot of secondary brands tossed in for filler. and the humidor is better than not having one but very basic.

Think of it as a starter offer in search of a loyal customer in the future kind of thing.

Start off with some classics like Montecristo, Punch and Romeo y Julieta.  Learn what you like/don't like.  There are some very good $3-5 cigars out there.  You don't need to drop $20 on an Opus X to have a great smoke.

I like full bodied smokes.  Some of my current favorites are Rocky Patel Decade, Montecristo Media Noche, My Father Flor de Las Antilles and My Father 1922 Le Bijou. 

I buy a lot at cigarbid.com   But you need to educate yourself before bidding there.  They are owned by Cigars International (who also owns cigars.com).  They are the 800 gorilla in the cigar selling world.  They sometimes buy the "name" of a certain cigar from the original manufacturer, then have it rolled to their own specs, NOT the specs of the original stick.  They are infamous for doing this w. Ghurka stogies.   A few year ago, I bought some Graycliffs (almost always an EXCELLENT cigar) from them that were horrible.  Turns out they bought the name from Graycliff.   Live and learn!

On the other hand, they sometimes commission an excellent cigar.  http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/11128/gran-habano-corojo-vintage-2002/

You won't find too many $2.50 cigars as tasty as these.  I've even purchased them on cigarbid.com for as little as $1.50 a stick.  Great everyday/yard work/walking the dogs cigar. 

I just had my first cigar on vaca and am interested in getting into it. Brought myself back some Dominicans.

Shoulda brought back some Cubans :D

Thompson Cigar and Cigars International have some pretty decent start sampler packs.  If you don't know what you like, start on those.  Keep the rings from the ones you really like.

I've taken a real liking to Montecristo #2's, myself.

Thompson Cigar and Cigars International have some pretty decent start sampler packs. If you don't know what you like, start on those. Keep the rings from the ones you really like.

Now that would be illegal ;)

Cubans ain't what they used to be. All the best growers, blenders, rollers etc. have either died or escaped to Honduras, Nicaragua, etc. Add to that, most of the "Cubans" you find in Canada and other places abroad are fake.

Agreed. The only Cubans I buy are PSD4s from the duty free when I travel. But for the money, I'd take a (Nicaraguan) Padron any day.

The websites above are good and getting a good sampler is a smart way to figure out what you like.

Also, search for "cigars" on slickdeals.net, especially around black Friday. Lots of good deals to be had.

Thanks for the replies, heres a list off the site of what it comes with:

Sampler includes humidor and one each of the following:
-1-CAO Black
-1-Hoyo de Monterrey
-1-5 Vegas Cask Strength II
-1-Montecristo Classic
-1-Sancho Panza
-1-CAO Gold Maduro
-1-Macanudo Cru Royale
-1-Cohiba 'Red Dot'
-1-La Gloria Cubana
-1-Joya de Nicaragua

Plus:
-1-FREE Yukon 40 Count Humidor

A $113 value!

And a link to the offer: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=1010

Love that deal, I'll have to jump on it although I have a couple I know that own a cigar shop ... I'll have to hit them up first. It's probably worth it for the humidor though. 

Personally and thats the key word when it comes to cigars.. i love Arturo Fuente's.. love them!  I even bought some scrappers that they sell with no lable but ar in plastic for like $2.00 they were amazing!  My buddy was like WTH kind of cigar was that and I told him, he couldn't believe that for $2.00 you got such a great smoke!

-P

Thompson Cigar and Cigars International have some pretty decent start sampler packs.  If you don't know what you like, start on those.  Keep the rings from the ones you really like.

The real McCoy Nick?  If so, I got a connection!  PM me for details.......

Thanks for the replies, heres a list off the site of what it comes with:

Sampler includes humidor and one each of the following:

-1-CAO Black

-1-Hoyo de Monterrey

-1-5 Vegas Cask Strength II

-1-Montecristo Classic

-1-Sancho Panza

-1-CAO Gold Maduro

-1-Macanudo Cru Royale

-1-Cohiba 'Red Dot'

-1-La Gloria Cubana

-1-Joya de Nicaragua

Plus:

-1-FREE Yukon 40 Count Humidor

A $113 value!

And a link to the offer: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=1010

To me, the standouts there would be the Hoyo, the Monte, the Sancho and the La Gloria Cubana.   But as was said above, cigar preference is a very personal thing.  

If you are just starting out, these: http://www.bovedainc.com/store/  

are the easiest way to control humidity.  I like mine at 69%.  Others like 65%.  Others 72%.   Also make sure to NOT put the humidor near any heat source.  Cigar beetles are NOT your friends. 

how long will cigars last without the humidor.  I brought back a few and dont really have anything to keep them in

They wont last long in the winter, home heating dries them out. Get a sealed plastic container and put a damp( not wet) paper towl in with it.

Or give them to me :) I age mine for three years !!

90 something % are fake. Ive had Dominicans that were better. I think the hype is more then reality. Remember there communists they destroy everything.LOL

I know what good IS.....I've been doin' this since HS (over 30 years).  Some Dominicans and some Nicaraguans are indeed very close to the REAL thing.  And most are NOT!  I can spot fakes.  I've bought the real thing by the box and by the loose stick.  A real aficionado (like yours truly) can merely gaze at the ash and smell the smoke wafting through the air and KNOW what's WHAT! 

To me, the standouts there would be the Hoyo, the Monte, the Sancho and the La Gloria Cubana.   But as was said above, cigar preference is a very personal thing.  

If you are just starting out, these: http://www.bovedainc.com/store/  

are the easiest way to control humidity.  I like mine at 69%.  Others like 65%.  Others 72%.   Also make sure to NOT put the humidor near any heat source.  Cigar beetles are NOT your friends. 

Links not working for me. What thell is a cigar beetle?

Cigar night at JR Cigars in Whippany?

http://www.jrwhippany.com/

Let's make it happen.....

That $29.99 deal sounds really good!

If you are ever near Selma, NC, perhaps going on vacation to Myrle Beach or Charleston, stop at the JR's right off of 95....place is ganormous!