dwamp2006

Cigars

congrats on getting your feet wet on the cigar world.  a little warning, not a cheap hobby, but a real pleasurable one.  like shooting.  i suggest going to different brick and mortar shops with a walk in humidor to get a feel of the place.  figure out what strength of nicotine you can handle and how full bodied you want the tobacco to taste.  there are tons of choices, don't be afraid to try as much as you can before you settle on one brand and vitola (size & shape).  part of the fun for me is the variety.

although i prefer Nicaraguans and Cubans, Dominicans, and even American (Connecticut and Pennsylvania broadleafs make excellent wraps) and Mexican grows some tasty leaf.  when traveling overseas make sure to purchase only from authentic La Casa Del Habanos if you're curious about real Cubans.  those vendors on the beach and cigar shops with the glass top boxes of Cohibas and Montecristo are selling nothing but fakes.

my taste changes all the time but my favorite brands for the past few years are Tatuaje, Padron, Illusione, Trinidad (cc), Partagas (cc), Fuente anejos.. haha actually i have so many favorites it's hard to narrow down.  depends on the mood.

if you have any questions ill be glad to help. im a member on a cigar lounge in Hackensack called Ruben's Smokestack but theres a ton of other shops with great selection in NJ

if you do decide to get a humidor, i recommend spending on a quality one.  no need to rush on a cheap box, you can store your stogies in a ziploc bag with a Boveda pack to keep the humidity at a proper percentage (i like mine @ 68% on 65 degrees) in the meantime.

That's a good deal from cigar.com -- I bought the same product about a month ago. There's lots of good info shared here by the other members and I would just like to add that you make sure you season your humidor prior to putting your sticks inside.

I initially had concerns thinking that the included humidor would not be reliable but I was wrong, as it is able to maintain 70% RH with my drymistat tubes. You should also consider picking up a digital hygrometer (about $20) to monitor the humidity inside your humidor.

Best deals on cigars are from online vendors. Most run daily and weekly specials where you can score some nice sticks at discount prices. Here are some well established vendors:

www.cigar.com

www.famous-smoke.com

www.cigarsinternational.com

Associated sites to those listed above

www.cigarmonster.com

www.cigarsprintsale.com

A good way to try various cigars is with samplers. Since you're already getting a sampler with your order, see which one you like from the bunch and then you can make a better decision on what to order next.

Your humidor will come with instructions on how to correctly season it. When you have time, pick up a bottle of distilled water to charge the humidifier and wipe the inside walls of the humidor. There are also lots of vids online that show you how to do it as well.

You need to season the humidor before you use it.  Easiest way is to put in a shot glass of distilled water.  DON'T use tap water. Let it sit in there for a week or so. 

In the mean time, you can store your stogies in a ziploc bag or tupperware container out of the sun w. one of those Boveda packs I mentioned.  Here's another link:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOVEDA-HUMIDIPAK-69-MED-FRESH-SET-OF-2-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-/370932628023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565d4eba37

Any local tobacco shop should have the Bovedas.  Once your collection starts to grow, you will want to look into other methods of humidity control.

For all you guys who shoot in Heritage or EFGA in Easton, check out Famous-Smokes in Bethlehem.  http://www.leafcigarbar.com/

The food there is very good, too.  Although they seem to have recently changed the menu to more of a bar-food than the fine-food it used to be...  so quality may not be the same as when I was last there. 

For all you guys who shoot in Heritage or EFGA in Easton, check out Famous-Smokes in Bethlehem.  http://www.leafcigarbar.com/

The food there is very good, too.  Although they seem to have recently changed the menu to more of a bar-food than the fine-food it used to be...  so quality may not be the same as when I was last there. 

Nice!  Thanks for the heads up.

many of my favorite boutique brands are sold here http://www.newhavanacigars.com/Cigars_Brands_at_NewHavanaCigars_com_s/1.htm  give them a try.. i know preference is subjective but some of the cigars sold there are some of the tastiest NCs available.

i use Heartfelt beads for humidity along with store bought distilled water.  Humidity is always constant.

I keep my humidor out in my unheated shed in the winter months and in my basement during the summer. I like to keep a few R&J's in the glass tubes in my bag on my Harley for those nice nights for a ride and beer. I'm drawn to Montecristo's, R&J's, Nat Sherman makes some nice tasty blends, Ashtons, ...

What's nice about JR's, you can find an expensive stick you like, and they are pretty good at finding the 'table wine' version of your choice. Meaning instead of $5 stick, they find a nice substitute for about $3.50. I ride with a club and the best thing about ours and other MC clubs, is that you can smoke while having a beer inside and people aren't giving you the look of death. And, it is always a good way to make new friends by keeping another one or two to share.

Like the shooting community, you'd be surprised at how nice most cigar smokers are.

CI's first store is in Bethlehem right off 22. Right at the end of the off ramp. If you don't want to make the trip all the way to Cabela's one day. If you are heading there or to Leaf PM me and I'll come meet you guys since I live nearby.

Have you been to Leaf lately?  I heard they changed their menu... some say not for the better. 

There use to be a cigar place on 206. But it has been closed. You can go to Ashes and Embers in Somerville. I know you can BYOB there... not sure about bringing in food.

Been there to shop. Not really a place I'd stay for a couple hours and drink. I was thinking more along the lines of the place in Harrisburg but more closer to NY (my bother lives in Staten Island still)

It's a nice sampler of various smokes for $3 a stick. My advice is to take notes of each smoke and jot down what you like/dislike. This will help you make better decisions on future purchases. I also put a small label on the cellophane wrappers with the date the sticks are put in the humidor. You'll be surprised how a long rest period can have a pleasant effect on various cigars as long as you keep the humidor performing optimally. 

I like ordering from Cigars International. I've always had a good experience ordering from them.

I really like Graycliff cigars; G2, G2 Turbo, and 1666 are my favorites. Acid Kuba Kuba is a nice smoke if you like aromatic cigars.

My wife got me a couple cigars (and likely paid way to much) but she just grabbed "any old thing" for me to try.  After browsing this thread last night I was hankering for one when i got off work.  I went home and enjoyed the hell out of a Montecristo.  It was in a tube.  It was a lot stronger than what I am used to but I really enjoyed it.  She said it was like a 14.00 cigar lol anyway I will be looking into a humidor as I am starting to enjoy this more and more.  My grandfather ALWAYs smoked either a cigar or a pipe... I LOVED that smell!