dwamp2006

Cigars

Glad to see so many here smoke cigars.  We ought to have a Cigar Meet-Up some day!

As to the question about keeping cellophane wrappers on cigars:  The correct answer is....it DEPENDS!  If you love to order samplers of various brands and you store them in the same humidor directly next to each other (instead of partitioning them off with cigar-box woods), then LEAVE THE WRAPPERS ON!  Otherwise, after time, the cigars will "marry" and you'll have strange-tasting cross-overs after repeated long storage this way.  You'll even notice some "marrying" WITH the partitions (after time, with a discerning palate).  If your Humidor contains all of the same brand and wrapper, then you don't have such problems and you may discard the cellophane.

One trick I do to "condition" the humidor is to take sterile 4x4 gauze pads soaked in distilled water and wipe-down the interior surfaces of the humidor, especially this time of year with dry heat.  A Humidor is made of woods that soak-up moisture, so if you give them a head-start with "a big drink", they'll get up to 70% saturation much faster.  And they'll STAY at 70% much longer, since they aren't drawing moisture OUT OF THE CIGARS to "feed themselves"......

After I finish pouring Explosives, I think I need to have a Cigar!

Dave

Glad to see so many here smoke cigars.  We ought to have a Cigar Meet-Up some day!

As to the question about keeping cellophane wrappers on cigars:  The correct answer is....it DEPENDS!  If you love to order samplers of various brands and you store them in the same humidor directly next to each other (instead of partitioning them off with cigar-box woods), then LEAVE THE WRAPPERS ON!  Otherwise, after time, the cigars will "marry" and you'll have strange-tasting cross-overs after repeated long storage this way.  You'll even notice some "marrying" WITH the partitions (after time, with a discerning palate).  If your Humidor contains all of the same brand and wrapper, then you don't have such problems and you may discard the cellophane.

One trick I do to "condition" the humidor is to take sterile 4x4 gauze pads soaked in distilled water and wipe-down the interior surfaces of the humidor, especially this time of year with dry heat.  A Humidor is made of woods that soak-up moisture, so if you give them a head-start with "a big drink", they'll get up to 70% saturation much faster.  And they'll STAY at 70% much longer, since they aren't drawing moisture OUT OF THE CIGARS to "feed themselves"......

After I finish pouring Explosives, I think I need to have a Cigar!

Dave

Meet up would be real cool.  Is there any spots around with a nice lounge?

There's a few Mom & Pop Cigar Stores with Lounges.  One in Matawan comes to mind.  It's right on Rt. 34, so it's easy to find.

Then if it gets a little warmer, we could meet at a Park, even bring some food to grill.  I could share some of the Hog I just harvested with my black powder revolvers.  Have a cigar after the meal.  Bring a Coleman Stove to make fresh coffee.  Someone brings some dessert, viola, a Meet-Up worth coming to!

Any of these ideas seem interesting to you?

Dave

Yeah man, we can do it up.  I'm just starting out and live in an apt with my non smoker gf, so I don't get a whole lot of chances to smoke.  We can even take a road trip to Cabela's and hit up Cigar International

YEP!  CAN DO!  And we can go to Dietrich's Meats at Exit #40, just 11 miles due East of Cabela's, hit up Pinnacle Ridge Winery (around the corner from Dietrich's), also hit-up Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop (down the road 3 miles from Dietrich's Meats) to buy EXPLOSIVES, lol!  Lots to do in Free America!  A regular testosterone-driven cigar-puffin' adventure, lol!

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms AND EXPLOSIVES!  Ought to be a Convenience Store instead of a Government Agency, lol!  And don't forget the MEAT at Dietrich's, and the PA Dutch wet-bottom Shoofly Pie!

All yours in Free America!

Let's set a date, so who's IN?

Dave

Just to bring this thread back.... I am getting into cigars, read a few of this threads.. I have tried a few of the Acids and ehh. I have a few CAOs to try. Everything i have tried had been flovored, just not sure what to try thats not. Can someone point me to a well rounded sampler? I'm not up on the lingo yet either but I'm figuring it out. Could also use a recommendation on a humidor, I'm guessing something with a digital humidity display?

I had also glanced at the meet up thread.. when's round 2?

Just to bring this thread back.... I am getting into cigars, read a few of this threads.. I have tried a few of the Acids and ehh. I have a few CAOs to try. Everything i have tried had been flovored, just not sure what to try thats not. Can someone point me to a well rounded sampler? I'm not up on the lingo yet either but I'm figuring it out. Could also use a recommendation on a humidor, I'm guessing something with a digital humidity display?

I had also glanced at the meet up thread.. when's round 2?

How much are you looking to get?  Try something like this so you can try a bunch of different things.  And yes a digital display is much easier to use.  

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/samplers/57536/ci-brown-bag-sampler/#p-21970

any of the CI samplers will be decent. i would suggest start with some medium bodied cigars and you'll know if they are good enough or which way your pallet wants you to go. honestly the only way to know what YOU like is trial and error. i usually stay away from those flavored things as i dont consider them real cigars. they are for idiot college kids to use as wrappers for blunts which i have never and will never take part of. thats just my opinion tho as others may love them.

It will be more than 25 if you enjoy it. Get bigger than you need now. I have a 50,count that isn't big at all.

any links to an inexpensive but quality humidor? I seen a lot but I could get a analog with a glass top for 25 and a hydrometer for another 20. haven't seen anything digital that cheap.

I'll look in a min. You don't want to go cheap cause them you have a shitty humi that doesn't hold humidity and is basically useless. Youl end up throwing out all your cigars. No bueno

it has the things I seen mentioned, Spanish cedar, felt lined and a rubber seal for the lid. Thank you for the quick replies.

padrons are the best. RP second, the edge was quite tasty. i hope you enjoy them. im trying to put together my next order myself. probably going to be lots of bargain sticks with a few gems thrown in. gonna try to make a $100 order last 2-3 months...

Re: Humidors.

Checko's right: definitely go bigger than you think you'll need. 

Also worth considering is making a "coolidor". 

http://www.stogiereview.com/2006/09/26/how-to-build-a-coolidor/

I made mine like 3 years ago when my 100 count humidor's hinge broke. I just took the lid off completely, added a couple of wooden cigar boxes and haven't looked back since.

I now refill the humidifying devices every 3-4 months at most and it maintains a perfect 68% humidity. 

HYx8SBg.jpg

4HpuGhT.jpg

padrons are the best. RP second, the edge was quite tasty. i hope you enjoy them. im trying to put together my next order myself. probably going to be lots of bargain sticks with a few gems thrown in. gonna try to make a $100 order last 2-3 months...

One of the guys I smoke with put me on to Puros Indios Viejo. They're about $2 a stick, but really good.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/66654/puros-indios-viejo/

My other go to bargain smokes are King Havano, both Claro and Oscuro, and PDR 1878 http://www.pdrcigars.com/cigars/pdr-1878/

I have a humidor question. I'm season my cheap Thompson humidor. Opened after a few hours to check and the humidy was 62%, still seasoning so I'm assuming that's fine.

The question is how do you keep it cool? Its at 77 degrees. Just find a cooler room in the house?

Try not to keep opening it. As far as the heat, make sure its not near any windows and in a room that stays relatively cool. Sunlight will raise the temp pretty quickly.

Its hard not to still. Just got it lol. I'm sure the craze will die down. Opened it once just to check on everything. Have a shot glass of distiller water in there, 9 hours so far. I'll check it tomorrow around 5 pm and wipe the sides again. That will be 29 hours with the shot glass.

Regarding temp, I have to find a better room I guess.