Rick_F

1911 Mags *** Rate Your Experiences

I'm just wondering what your experiences are with 1911 mags.  I have a Kimber Eclipse fullsize 1911 that I purchased 3 Kim-Pro Tactical 8 round mags.  To date, I've never had  single malfunction with either pistol or mags.  For some reason, Kimber seems to have a bad rep, and takes quite the internet beating.  I'm picking up another SA MC Operator, and I'm planning on buying some extra mags for it.  Should I stick with the Kimber mags, or is there something better out there?  Please post based on personal experiences.  Thanks.

I have the same gun(you picked the best one ;)); only issues I had were with the stock magazine(or my fault for not slamming the mag in :p).  I shoot with Wilson Combat, McCormick and KimPro mags.

I'm just wondering what your experiences are with 1911 mags.  I have a Kimber Eclipse fullsize 1911 that I purchased 3 Kim-Pro Tactical 8 round mags.  To date, I've never had  single malfunction with either pistol or mags.  For some reason, Kimber seems to have a bad rep, and takes quite the internet beating.  I'm picking up another SA MC Operator, and I'm planning on buying some extra mags for it.  Should I stick with the Kimber mags, or is there something better out there?  Please post based on personal experiences.  Thanks.

Kimber takes a "internet beating" because people are more likely to complain when they have a negative experience, rather than boast the brand when they have a positive one. The more objective reviews I read seem to bash the standard mags that come with Kimber 1911s (not the KimPro mags), and usually say the gun works just fine after a mag swap.

My Colt and Wilson Combat mags have yet to fail me. I'd +1 WC mags with a Kimber.

The only failures I have ever had with my Kimber Eclipse Custom II is while using Kimber mags.  I switched to Wilson Combat and have never had an issue.

Were they with the regular Kimber mags, like the one that comes with the pistol?  Or the Kim-Pro?

Wilson, Tripp, and CMC.

STI 45 Trojan; Wilson 47DE and 47T

Nowlin 40s&w; Wilson 47NX (with extended basepads) and Tripp Cobra Mags 10 rounders

No problems whatsoever. I have some Chip power mags as my back-ups but I never use them.

Most people on the "Inter-Webs" seem to hate promags.  I was researching them when I was looking for some 15 round mags for my CZ.  I was warned that the gun would not lock back on empty with them.  But I needed something quick and they were cheap, like $18 versus $35 plus the cost to pin MecGar 16 round mags.  So, I bought a pair.  Bottom line is they work fine and they do lock back perfectly.  They seem to be made of thinner gauge metal than the ones that come with the gun.  Would I use them for critical HD use?  Maybe not, but for USPSA and IDPA they are fine.  If they don't function in a match the worst that will happen is I won't win - not that I was going to be anywhere close to winning anyway :)

Thanks for all the responses.  I think I'll try out the Kim-Pro mags I have when I pick up my Operator on Monday.  If they work well, I might as well stick with them as they have been 100% so far.  I briefly compared these to some CMC variant, and the Kimbers seemed higher quality to my untrained eye.

Just out of curiosity, how are Mec-Gar mags for 1911s?  They mag the mags for my SIGs and they seem very high quality.