remixer

Prepping... This is a fantastic new Section

..after 2 hurricanes and 2 extensive blackouts in a row...this section is long overdue.

My contribution is the reusable water bladder I picked up at Sportsman's guide years ago that can hold up to 80 gallons of water , easily filled and stored in a average bathtub,

I've been looking for a good collapsible water bladder...

If you don't have gas or propane to cook with (which can be used even w/o power), go to a camping store and buy a little propane/butane camp stove and several canisters.  At least you can boil water to make dehydrated food (also available at camp stores, but even the supermarket carries some of this now, like soup pouches "just add water").  While you're at it, for "serious" prepping (where water supply could be contaminated), pick up a hand pump water filter and a few extra filter elements for it.

I used to backpack quite a bit, so when all this "prepping" stuff started, I already had quite a bit of what I needed, and already knew quite a bit of what people were teaching.

I've been looking for a good collapsible water bladder...

If you don't have gas or propane to cook with (which can be used even w/o power), go to a camping store and buy a little propane/butane camp stove and several canisters.  At least you can boil water to make dehydrated food (also available at camp stores, but even the supermarket carries some of this now, like soup pouches "just add water").  While you're at it, for "serious" prepping (where water supply could be contaminated), pick up a hand pump water filter and a few extra filter elements for it.

I used to backpack quite a bit, so when all this "prepping" stuff started, I already had quite a bit of what I needed, and already knew quite a bit of what people were teaching.

One of the first thing that disappeared at my local Asian Market was the $19.99 portable butane burner that we see in some of the hot pot Restaurants. I've had one for many years and cooked breakfast on it during both blackouts. The propane canisters come in a pack of 3 for about $3.99 a pack and 1 canister can last several hours on high.Worth looking into if you're near an Asian Market.

If you don't have gas or propane to cook with (which can be used even w/o power), go to a camping store and buy a little propane/butane camp stove and several canisters. 

yeah, we have one of these little cooktops..  and i think 4 canisters..   in laws had it, never used it, so they gave it to us..   good for heating soups & stuff like that...

my wife is a "medication prepper"..  she has about 2+ months supply of all her meds..  something many never think about (who have to take meds)

Might I make a crazy suggestion............

As you can see already in this one post we have at least three tangents.........THAT is good............however subsections will consolidate data from the start.

Main prepping section WITH subsections based on items of interest to the prepping crowd......

Driving now and can make some suggestions later......

Oh and BTW.........  Forecast models are looking at up to a 1foot plus dump of snow from the Delmarva to Boston next week....

Sub sections are only really made due to organizing vast amounts of info... Take water storage for example.... How many threads can you make about a unique aspect of water storage? 50... 75.... 100..? At any rate one sections should be plenty to cover all aspects of prepping... If it somehow gets crazy growth then I am sure we can look at that again... But I don't think there will really be a need...

This is sure to be a popular section and I'm happy to see it here.  Some other forums frown upon this kind of topic as it invites some uuuuhhh, I'll just say, strange people.  The only thing I'd like to say is the structure seems a litle busy.  there are several sub-topics but no general discussion topics.  Unless I missed it and this thread is the place for general topics.  In any event, keep calm and carry on.

I find that http://www.survivalistboards.com/ is a good reasource.

Let's not forget the four basics; food, water, shelter & clothing. All four change from season to season, so have plans for all year round!

I've got "kits" in my 2 primary vehicles along with my bug out bag (B.O.B.) at home and a "light" kit in a belt pack for excursions into the woods. (Foraging for food, water retrieval, firewood pickup, etc.). Each has a first aid kit, multiple fire starting methods, flashlight, knife, fishing / small game snare kit, compass, canteen and water purification/filtration. The vehicles & BOB have additional items such as a small amount of food, additional tools and DUCT TAPE. Don't forget the duct tape!!!

As with anything critical, I'm a firm believer that you must educate and train yourself in the use of each item in a kit for it to be valuable. Similar to the use of firearms, a first aid kit it worthless if you don't know what to do with it (or its contents). Same goes with fire starting methods. If you don't know 3 methods to start a fire other than matches or lighters, you need to learn and practice.

Let's also not forget the most versitile item of all, the common bandanna. It's got more uses that a Swiss Army knife.

I find that http://www.survivalistboards.com/ is a good reasource.

Let's not forget the four basics; food, water, shelter & clothing. All four change from season to season, so have plans for all year round!

I've got "kits" in my 2 primary vehicles along with my bug out bag (B.O.B.) at home and a "light" kit in a belt pack for excursions into the woods. (Foraging for food, water retrieval, firewood pickup, etc.). Each has a first aid kit, multiple fire starting methods, flashlight, knife, fishing / small game snare kit, compass, canteen and water purification/filtration. The vehicleS & BOB have additional items such as a small amount of food, additional tools and DUCT TAPE. Don't forget the duct tape!!!

As with anything critical, I'm a firm believer that you must educate and train yourself in the use of each item in a kit for it to be valuable. Similar to the use of firearms, a first aid kit it worthless if you don't know what to do with it (or its contents). Same goes with fire starting methods. If you don't know 3 methods to start a fire other than matches or lighters, you need to learn and practice.

Let's also not forget the most versitile item of all, the common bandanna. It's got more uses that a Swiss Army knife.

Good points...  Picked up a few of those SOL Emergency Bivvy's on Amazon...  A must have on your BOBs.

Guys, glad you are enjoying this so far.  As I always say... tag tag tag.

So If you write a topic here about water... when you create it, put Water in the tag.  This way it will get indexed as such, and will be very easy to pull up all other threads tagged water.

MGE; I absolutely do.  While I regard the risk of ever needing them to be very very low, the consequences of not having them on hand should a nuclear incident occur are extremely high.  I have zero faith that supplies would be available in such a scenario.  When researching this topic online, I learned that when the tsunami and nuclear problem occurred in Japan, all the supplies in the US dried up and prices (e.g. EBay) sky-rocketed.  Bottomline, it would be too little, too late.

I purchased packets for everyone in my family including children and grandkids. (Even one for my ex-wife since my son lives with her and not doing so would have forced them to share in an emergency.).  The dosage for young children is half that of an adult, so one packet can take care of two children.  Refer to the Anbex website for more information and FAQ.

For those considering their purchase: Highly recommend you only purchase the above pictured IOSTAT brand.  They are available from www.anbex,com.   $10 per pack.   If I recall, shelf life is at least 5 years, if not more. I also urge you to not purchase other brands nor "potassium iodate". They are not the same.

regards

Regarding this Prepping forum, a fantastic idea!!!   Kudos to the Moderators of NJGF for creating it.  Hurricanes Irene and especially Sandy focused my attention on emergency preparedness like never before and gave birth to my new emergency preparedness "hobby".  That in turn rekindled my long dormant firearms hobby.  This year joined the NRA, NJ2AS, and ANJRPC.   Also supplemented my old 22LR target rifle with a new Mossberg 12 gauge.  (Solely for target shooting of course.) 

regards

MGE; I absolutely do.  While I regard the risk of ever needing them to be very very low, the consequences of not having them on hand should a nuclear incident occur are extremely high.  I have zero faith that supplies would be available in such a scenario.  When researching this topic online, I learned that when the tsunami and nuclear problem occurred in Japan, all the supplies in the US dried up and prices (e.g. EBay) sky-rocketed.  Bottomline, it would be too little, too late.

I purchased packets for everyone in my family including children and grandkids. (Even one for my ex-wife since my son lives with her and not doing so would have forced them to share in an emergency.).  The dosage for young children is half that of an adult, so one packet can take care of two children.  Refer to the Anbex website for more information and FAQ.

For those considering their purchase: Highly recommend you only purchase the above pictured IOSTAT brand.  They are available from www.anbex,com.   $10 per pack.   If I recall, shelf life is at least 5 years, if not more. I also urge you to not purchase other brands nor "potassium iodate". They are not the same.

regards

Good confirmation thanks.  I only have IOSTAT.

Having the knowledge to be able to build a simple rocket stove can be incredibly useful, in the event, that you do not have access to propane, gas, or charcoal. Material, is something you can easily get and keep on hand, broken down and stored as a pile of bricks in the corner, outside along the house, behind the shed, etc....